January Delivery @Jacksonville Port (US Southeast destination)

Dan1923

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4s
Country flag
Not much highway debris/rocks in Florida?
Not much.... you only find those kinds of roads in Georgia :)

I just don't believe a thin layer of plastic, no matter how tough but is, will provide protection against anything but the smallest of rocks. The typical kinds of gravel the fly out of a poorly covered load or get launched out the the tread of a truck tire will damage the paint no matter what kind of transparent protection it has, just like they would damage a window. IMHO of course.

In any case I plan to update, i.e. replace, this car within two years.
Sponsored

Dan1923

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4s
Country flag
BTW are some videos that I think give a pretty good picture of what it takes to apply ceramic coating. It is very labor intensive and specialize... I use that to rationalize the cost.:)

""

""

Last edited:

Dan1923

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4s
Country flag
Oh, and I meant to add that adding PPF to ceramic is like buying a triple bladed razor,

“The first blade lifts the whiskers up.”

“The second blade cuts them off below the skin line.”

“And the third blade is there because you people will believe anything!”

:D

tibiafx1

First Name
AC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Chalk with Stealth wrap
Country flag
Not much.... you only find those kinds of roads in Georgia :)

I just don't believe a thin layer of plastic, no matter how tough but is, will provide protection against anything but the smallest of rocks. The typical kinds of gravel the fly out of a poorly covered load or get launched out the the tread of a truck tire will damage the paint no matter what kind of transparent protection it has, just like they would damage a window. IMHO of course.

In any case I plan to update, i.e. replace, this car within two years.
They forgot to change out the side markers so I have to go back to get it done.
Yes, the roads in Atlanta are terrible indeed! Wow, two years is a short stint. I usually trade out every 3-4 years. Did you buy or lease? If you bought, do you think you will have equity in your vehicle after just 2 years??

OP
OP
Prit

Prit

First Name
Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4, Aspiring GTS ST owner.
Country flag
Yes, the roads in Atlanta are terrible indeed! Wow, two years is a short stint. I usually trade out every 3-4 years. Did you buy or lease? If you bought, do you think you will have equity in your vehicle after just 2 years??
I bought. I did an analysis on cash outlay of lease vs buy + loan balance at 3 years. I think the smaller cash outlay offsets the estimated depreciation by Porsche. Further, if the chip shortage continues, prices of low supply vehicles, like ours, will stay high and further increase our equity. I’m comfy with the buy Vs lease given all that + ultra low rates.

Many are paying above MSRP and will seek to recapture some of that spend if/when they post their cars for sale.

I think we are good.

Dan1923

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4s
Country flag
My theory on buying cars is weird. I can't see buying a new car and keeping it for 8 years. It certainly would save money doing that, but you can save a lot more by buying a 3 year old car and keeping it for 5 years. So buying 3 year old cars and keeping for 5 or 6 is about the best strategy for keep your car expenses low.

So my weird strategy works as being the most economical way to have a reliable, "newish" car all the time.

And besides the Taycan (and all current BEV's) are a special case. The technology on BEV's is going at such a breakneck pace that this years BEV's in 8 years will almost have a negative value in terms of desirability, which, of course translates into a really low trade in value.

I paid cash. But a two year lease or a loan... I would still have to, one way or the other, have to eat the big depreciation. And for, say, a 7 year lease or loan or cash you would have to be able to predict the future the economy/market to figure out which is the best choice.

tibiafx1

First Name
AC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
My theory on buying cars is weird. I can't see buying a new car and keeping it for 8 years. It certainly would save money doing that, but you can save a lot more by buying a 3 year old car and keeping it for 5 years. So buying 3 year old cars and keeping for 5 or 6 is about the best strategy for keep your car expenses low.

So my weird strategy works as being the most economical way to have a reliable, "newish" car all the time.

And besides the Taycan (and all current BEV's) are a special case. The technology on BEV's is going at such a breakneck pace that this years BEV's in 8 years will almost have a negative value in terms of desirability, which, of course translates into a really low trade in value.

I paid cash. But a two year lease or a loan... I would still have to, one way or the other, have to eat the big depreciation. And for, say, a 7 year lease or loan or cash you would have to be able to predict the future the economy/market to figure out which is the best choice.
It sounds like you thought this one through….

tibiafx1

First Name
AC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
After the strategizing and calculating... all I know right now is that I have this really cool car that turns heads and is a ball to drive.
Agreed! A lot of runner necking. I’ve been coming up with creative excuses to drive!

SlipAngle

First Name
Kiran
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2015 Subaru WRX
Country flag
Congrats to all of you for finally getting your cars! I've been following this thread to get an idea of how long it takes since mine is on Siem Confucious, which is heading to the JAX port right now. I'm picking it up from the Porsche Atlanta Perimeter location.
Did anyone get any freebies/specials discounts when picking up their car? This goes especially to the ones who picked up in Atlanta.

Dan1923

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4s
Country flag
Is Atlanta Perimeter a dealer? In my experience Porsche and BMW dealers give you some swag of your choice. It could be anything from a hat to a windbreaker. One thing I got was a cup with an x-ray view of a Taycan wrapped around it.

Porsche Taycan January Delivery @Jacksonville Port (US Southeast destination) 1642340786373

Porsche Taycan January Delivery @Jacksonville Port (US Southeast destination) 1642340834804

OP
OP
Prit

Prit

First Name
Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4, Aspiring GTS ST owner.
Country flag
Is Atlanta Perimeter a dealer? In my experience Porsche and BMW dealers give you some swag of your choice. It could be anything from a hat to a windbreaker. One thing I got was a cup with an x-ray view of a Taycan wrapped around it.

1642340786373.png

1642340834804.png
They gave me some nice leather Porsche key rings....but they say Hennessy Porsche on them... I wish they didn't say Hennessy Porsche on them lol

tibiafx1

First Name
AC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
They gave me some nice leather Porsche key rings....but they say Hennessy Porsche on them... I wish they didn't say Hennessy Porsche on them lol
Same here! A bit old school to offer key rings IMO. I would have preferred a mug or thermos with a Porsche logo! At the time, I didn’t care. I just wanted to get my car and leave!

NoRPM22

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Volcano Grey
Country flag
Same here! A bit old school to offer key rings IMO. I would have preferred a mug or thermos with a Porsche logo! At the time, I didn’t care. I just wanted to get my car and leave!
How long did it take you guys to pick up the car? I will be picking up this week and my kids are super excited to come along... they have heard too many stories now about how the car was made and shipped :)... The SA @hennesey (who owns a taycan) said I might need 2 hrs.
Sponsored