Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
Today, the New Jersey temperatures reached the low 80's (in F, which is high 20's in C). I charged my car today and enjoyed the range-boost provided by warmer weather (see first picture): 263 miles at 80% SoC which translates in 329 miles (529 km) at 100%. Unfortunately, the warmer weather also came at the cost (see second picture) of an overheated PMCC charger. This charger is inside the garage in the shade, operating at 40A on a 50A breaker (one of two on a 100A circuit). It is mounted in the Porsche box. Maybe I should start opening the lid while charging? Anyone else struggling with this issue? Let's see whether the warning goes away on its own by tomorrow morning.

Porsche Taycan Joy and headache of charging in warmer weather RangeMay21
Porsche Taycan Joy and headache of charging in warmer weather HotChargerMay21

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
the pmcc does run hot but one would think that the porsche box would designed to mitigate such issues. I am in FLA and we've been warm for weeks and my garage can get hot but I've never had the evse get so hot that it would fault like this.

TomP

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 Carerra 4 GTS, GT4RS
Country flag
I get this message sometimes when ambient air temps in the garage are over 85-90 F.
All winter it was fine and recently started showing up.

Keep the box door open for better air circulation.
The whip from the PMCC to the outlet can get hot, over 140 F

Porsche has acknowledged this and has done nothing other than recommend to reduce the charging current.

https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/pmcc-overheated.2365/

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
there are much cheaper higher quality EV chargers that will not overheat during normal operation like the PMCC - you can purchase some of them for less money than porsche charges for a NEMA plug supply cable…

Dweezel1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Today, the New Jersey temperatures reached the low 80's (in F, which is high 20's in C). I charged my car today and enjoyed the range-boost provided by warmer weather (see first picture): 263 miles at 80% SoC which translates in 329 miles (529 km) at 100%. Unfortunately, the warmer weather also came at the cost (see second picture) of an overheated PMCC charger. This charger is inside the garage in the shade, operating at 40A on a 50A breaker (one of two on a 100A circuit). It is mounted in the Porsche box. Maybe I should start opening the lid while charging? Anyone else struggling with this issue? Let's see whether the warning goes away on its own by tomorrow morning.

RangeMay21.jpg
HotChargerMay21.jpg

Dweezel1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I am in Florida. Charger located in garage. Charger is in Porsche enclosure. I get this error every time I charge. Every time.

it does not occur if not in enclosure. The charger still gets very hot, and as documented in other threads it is the pigtail. It is not internal wiring or plug. Wiring is enough to support 80 Amps, and short run regardless. Receptacle not issue as with extension issue remains in pigtail.

I see below as options without reducing power.

1) Porsche has major design flaw, potentially dangerous. Porsche has poor track record of recalls when obvious. They need to do something.

2) Switch chargers.

3) Still experimenting with ventilation of enclosure. As hot air rises perhaps cut with hole saw, ventilation. Perhaps with ventilation fan. Will experiment also with heat sinks.

JimBob

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I have had this message only appear once and I am not in a hot climate. When I did my "300" mile run, the SOC was down to 5% when I returned to the garage and plugged it in. Temps were around 75F in the garage. Car still charged up to 80% but got the message. Clearly related to the amount of current being pulled by the car.

Wondering what other folks in really hot places like the desert south west are seeing when they use the PMCC.

JD4S

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Live in FL and have not seen this notification. I do not have mine enclosed and am charging in a garage with current interior temps between 80-90 degrees. Usually charge around 6-12pm. Will see how it goes in July - Sept where my garage can get to 95-100 degrees.

dickp

First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.dickpitini.com
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4
Country flag
I plan to use the standard Mobile Charger Plus that comes with the Taycan. Pluged into a NEMA 14-50 outlet on a 50 amp breaker. Is there any need to "upgrade" to something else. I'm not concerned re internet connectivity, faster charging , etc...

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
I am in Florida. Charger located in garage. Charger is in Porsche enclosure. I get this error every time I charge. Every time.

it does not occur if not in enclosure.
how about the obvious fix? getting rid of the enclosure?

I am in Florida as well and my garage is always very hot, zero ventilation and I have never received that kind of an error.

Last edited:

Dweezel1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Of course ditching enclosure and the $460 that spent is option, but not totally sure if anyone getting this issue in hot climate even out of enclosure (I did not) but was not as hot ambient temperature. Also a looks thing.

Hole alignment is different so would have to patch and paint holes in wall as well. That is why looking for (maybe?) other fix.

Last edited:

Dweezel1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I plan to use the standard Mobile Charger Plus that comes with the Taycan. Pluged into a NEMA 14-50 outlet on a 50 amp breaker. Is there any need to "upgrade" to something else. I'm not concerned re internet connectivity, faster charging , etc...
Not that comes to mind.

OP
OP
Kingske

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag

it does not occur if not in enclosure. The charger still gets very hot, and as documented in other threads it is the pigtail. It is not internal wiring or plug. Wiring is enough to support 80 Amps, and short run regardless. Receptacle not issue as with extension issue remains in pigtail.

I see below as options without reducing power.

1) Porsche has major design flaw, potentially dangerous. Porsche has poor track record of recalls when obvious. They need to do something.

2) Switch chargers.

3) Still experimenting with ventilation of enclosure. As hot air rises perhaps cut with hole saw, ventilation. Perhaps with ventilation fan. Will experiment also with heat sinks.
I read somewhere (to be confirmed) that Porsche no longer offers the PMCC enclosure box as an accessory for the Taycan.

Dweezel1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I read somewhere (to be confirmed) that Porsche no longer offers the PMCC enclosure box as an accessory for the Taycan.
Go online to car configuration like ordering new one see if still option. P.S. went online later. Still listed as option.

I am on phone at moment. I will say continuing this thread that the pigtail is definitely the issue overall. As I have on extension to pigtail the pigtail plug gets way too hot. The extension cord I have does not. Significant design issue on pigtail. Where extension plug goes into receptacle no heat.

Some additional information. The trigger point to overheat per Porsche documents is 122 Degrees. As the pigtail is reaching 163 Degrees in my measurement, it is pretty clear why shutting down in enclosed and nonventilated box.

I think I am ultimately going to use a holesaw and create a hole in the bottom and top. In theory cooler air should flow through bottom hole, over heated areas, and exit above without use of fans. Just deciding whether to “ruin” my useless box.

Porsche Taycan Joy and headache of charging in warmer weather AD6A6D4E-E8D4-415A-9B66-D9E483108F01
Sponsored

Last edited: