Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
Also can someone with 6-50 plug see if says “10 AWG” stamped on pigtail cable?
I have both 14-50 and 14-30 supply cables for my PMC+ (which I think may actually be the same for the PMCC).

They are both 10AWG.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
PMC+ and PMCC cables are identical across the VW/Audi/Porsche product family - all the EV supply cables for the VW/Audi/Porsche EVSE’s are the same and only like branding differences between the actual charger “guts”.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
If I were to lay a eTron EV charger next to the Taycan or Cayenne Charger you’d ahve a hard time telling them apart other than for the lable/sticker on the physical chartger- the supply cables for NEMA 14-50 are in fact identical and even the same actual part number - not even separate parts for audi vs. porsche - and I’ve been told the same is true for charger that come with VW EV vehicles.

Wakesurfer

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, 2023 YukonXL, 2024 Macan S
Country flag
Today, the New Jersey temperatures reached the low 80's (in F, which is high 20's in C). I charged my car today and enjoyed the range-boost provided by warmer weather (see first picture): 263 miles at 80% SoC which translates in 329 miles (529 km) at 100%. Unfortunately, the warmer weather also came at the cost (see second picture) of an overheated PMCC charger. This charger is inside the garage in the shade, operating at 40A on a 50A breaker (one of two on a 100A circuit). It is mounted in the Porsche box. Maybe I should start opening the lid while charging? Anyone else struggling with this issue? Let's see whether the warning goes away on its own by tomorrow morning.

RangeMay21.jpg
HotChargerMay21.jpg
I live in Texas, and my garage doors face West..........gets a little warm in the garage. I got the same error message a few weeks ago. Ironically, I had to purchase an air blower from Lowe's to dry out some carpet when the house air conditioner malfunctioned.............. And then I am thinking what the heck am I going to do with this $100 air blower................ So, the next time that I charged the car I set the air blower on it's back with the air blowing up to the charger and VOILA!!!! Went from 36% to 85% with no overheating error message. Have charged twice since then with same results.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
I had a Tesla charger NEMA 14-50 plug melt and get fused to the NEMA 14-50 receptacle. Learned that not all NEMA 14-50 receptacles are made the same. For a continuous draw use case like this you need a serious industrial duty receptacle.

Next, let's assume that it's only the receptacle getting hot. But really hot. In an enclosed chamber with the PMCC which does generate heat on it's own. With an additional heat source and no ventilation, overheating makes sense. That opening the enclosure makes the failure go away (but not the problem) also makes sense.

But how much money are you wasting in heat here?

Who had the infrared camera? It would be fantastic to take some pictures over the first few minutes of charging - does the heat start in the receptacle and conduct down the pigtail, or does all of the wiring in the pigtail heat up at the same rate?

If it's only a receptacle problem, you could sacrifice your $300 NEMA 14-50 adapter (guessing on that $300 but hey, we're talking Porsche here) and cut the head off and hard-wire it. That would eliminate the source of heat and also save you money. Probably more than $300 in the long run...
Exactly, the most likely culprit is the connection between socket and plug. Cut the plug and wire it straight into a fuse.

If that fails:

RRVV17

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, GLS580
Country flag

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
The Suncoast website doesn't provide any detailed specs (that I saw). Do you know for sure if this is an upgrade from the Porsche provided plug (appropriately gauged wire) or is it identical in spec? Sorry if I missed elsewhere.
I would assume it’s the same, but I don’t know for sure.

I was just commenting on cost for replacement, not suggesting any improvement.

I ordered a 14-30 cable through the Porsche dealership and it was $114.

Rock

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
Today, the New Jersey temperatures reached the low 80's (in F, which is high 20's in C). I charged my car today and enjoyed the range-boost provided by warmer weather (see first picture): 263 miles at 80% SoC which translates in 329 miles (529 km) at 100%. Unfortunately, the warmer weather also came at the cost (see second picture) of an overheated PMCC charger. This charger is inside the garage in the shade, operating at 40A on a 50A breaker (one of two on a 100A circuit). It is mounted in the Porsche box. Maybe I should start opening the lid while charging? Anyone else struggling with this issue? Let's see whether the warning goes away on its own by tomorrow morning.

RangeMay21.jpg
HotChargerMay21.jpg
This is happening frequently when I am charging my Taycan in my garage in Tampa, FL. The low outside temperature this time of year is 80' so it stays warm in the garage. The charger shut down last night at 86% charged with the Limited Service warning on the charger. I do not use the Porsche enclosure to house the charger. I am thinking I need to run a fan on the car all night or maybe on the charger?

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
This is happening frequently when I am charging my Taycan in my garage in Tampa, FL. The low outside temperature this time of year is 80' so it stays warm in the garage. The charger shut down last night at 86% charged with the Limited Service warning on the charger. I do not use the Porsche enclosure to house the charger. I am thinking I need to run a fan on the car all night or maybe on the charger?
Where is the charger located? Mine is mounted low on a wall so maybe that helps. I have never had an overheat issue even now in hot S. Florida summer.

Try a fan on the charger one night - it can't hurt.

Rock

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
Where is the charger located? Mine is mounted low on a wall so maybe that helps. I have never had an overheat issue even now in hot S. Florida summer.

Try a fan on the charger one night - it can't hurt.
yes it is located on the wall between the garage and the house. I will try a fan on the device and let you know what happens.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
my garage here in FLA gets extremely hot and I have the pmcc and I haven't seen issues like this.

OP
OP
Kingske

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
First time I hear this happening "outside of the box".

Rock

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
yes it is located on the wall between the garage and the house. I will try a fan on the device and let you know what happens.
I used the fan and the charger stayed cooler. I also decreased the amps to 35.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I used the fan and the charger stayed cooler. I also decreased the amps to 35.
lowering the amps probably did more than the fan
Sponsored