"June 2023 delivery expected if ordering today". How much can I trust it?

hitmonlee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Macan GTS
Country flag
This is regarding a Taycan 4 CT and "ordering" means putting down a $5k refundable deposit. No markup btw. Dealer is in NorCal.

I wonder if they just randomly came up with this date because nobody seems to know what Taycan allocation/production will look like in the next 12 months, or they actually have some legitimate inside info.

While you may say if it's refundable then it doesn't hurt, the thing is I've already put down $5k at a different dealership that's closer and has better ratings (they only told me they have 7 people in front of me on their waiting list and have no idea on expected delivery date). I wish I had tens of thousands of cash sitting around to put down deposits everywhere but at some point I gotta pick and choose.

What do you think? Go for it? Ask if I could put down less deposit? Ask more questions? Or forget about it.
Sponsored

Miwa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I think that they are making assumptions based on their best guess at how much allocation they expect and how many customers they have.

That said, when you order, if it's not just wait-listing, you will get a commission number, and there will be actual build dates and such you'll be able to get, and those are Porsche's best guess, which is accurate as long as there aren't more wars, new global pandemics, etc.

You can always ask if it's getting on a list, or they have a build allocation.

OP
OP

hitmonlee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Macan GTS
Country flag
I think that they are making assumptions based on their best guess at how much allocation they expect and how many customers they have.

That said, when you order, if it's not just wait-listing, you will get a commission number, and there will be actual build dates and such you'll be able to get, and those are Porsche's best guess, which is accurate as long as there aren't more wars, new global pandemics, etc.

You can always ask if it's getting on a list, or they have a build allocation.
Yes I'm aware of Porsche's order process and am 99% sure it's just a waiting list and not an actual allocation (does Porsche even give out allocations this far out in the future?). It just seems an arbitrary date and they've been ignoring my question about how many people are already on the waiting list.

Asu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nothing
Country flag
This is regarding a Taycan 4 CT and "ordering" means putting down a $5k refundable deposit. No markup btw. Dealer is in NorCal.

I wonder if they just randomly came up with this date because nobody seems to know what Taycan allocation/production will look like in the next 12 months, or they actually have some legitimate inside info.

While you may say if it's refundable then it doesn't hurt, the thing is I've already put down $5k at a different dealership that's closer and has better ratings (they only told me they have 7 people in front of me on their waiting list and have no idea on expected delivery date). I wish I had tens of thousands of cash sitting around to put down deposits everywhere but at some point I gotta pick and choose.

What do you think? Go for it? Ask if I could put down less deposit? Ask more questions? Or forget about it.
I will be worried to put down so many deposits. Might be hassle to ask for it back n might take some time. I have never ask for a deposit back so idk how easy or difficult that can be. Maybe someone can comment.

smoothound

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT Turbo Acid Green PTS
Country flag
MY24 could be a refresh year - would only mean hanging on from June'23 - September'23 - Will be a higher price true, but perhaps better Tech/range. - Anyways - you would not have to decide to push it back a couple or three months until Late Spring 23 ish - when leaks of the update should be available to inform your choice.

Just something to consider.

Miwa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Yes I'm aware of Porsche's order process and am 99% sure it's just a waiting list and not an actual allocation (does Porsche even give out allocations this far out in the future?). It just seems an arbitrary date and they've been ignoring my question about how many people are already on the waiting list.
When I ordered my car, the estimated wait time ended up being a lot longer than the actual wait time. But COVID happened between my order and when I got allocation, and I guess people canceled, and my order was likely 6 months earlier than I expected.

If the dealer is giving a July ship, that's probably expecting a March build date.

My car was the 2nd I'd ordered from that salesperson, and they were pretty transparent about the whole thing. I can see where it's possible some dealers are looking to just put someone on a list to hold them, but not delivering means not just losing 1 sale, but losing all future sales.

I don't think even knowing the waitlist length would tell you anything, as they aren't going to tell you how much allocation they expect. You'll either have to trust the salesperson or not.

OP
OP

hitmonlee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Macan GTS
Country flag
MY24 could be a refresh year - would only mean hanging on from June'23 - September'23 - Will be a higher price true, but perhaps better Tech/range. - Anyways - you would not have to decide to push it back a couple or three months until Late Spring 23 ish - when leaks of the update should be available to inform your choice.

Just something to consider.
Good point! Didn't think about potential refresh at all.

OP
OP

hitmonlee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Macan GTS
Country flag
I don't think even knowing the waitlist length would tell you anything, as they aren't going to tell you how much allocation they expect. You'll either have to trust the salesperson or not.
Makes sense and I understand waitlist length goes hand in hand with # of allocations a dealership gets. I guess I was just looking for a ballpark number. For example one dealer told me they currently don't have a single person waiting for a 4CT, which makes me think there's a decent chance for delivery early/mid 2023 (maybe even late 2022?), assuming things don't get worse in the next few months (they however charge a 10% markup so I didn't proceed). Another dealer told me they already have 15+ and when it's my turn it could very well be a MY24.

familyhauler

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (ordered)
Country flag
Where would you be on the waitlist at the new place?

Overall this all seems like a crapshoot. I put a deposit down at RWC last October and they haven’t moved me up and I’m still in the same slot as it doesn’t seem like they’ve gotten any CTs (or they redirected them towards people who were paying ADM?)

Anecdotally here it seems like people have been able to secure allocations with Marin or other dealers in shorter timeframes. So I guess getting a sense as to how close you are to the front and how many they’ve gotten over the past few months might help, though the rest of this year will probably be unpredictable with everything going on.

RAHRCR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Panamera Sport Turismo 4S
Country flag

High likelihood that you will get a 2023 Model. It could arrive as late as Sept 2023. If you are ok with that, place the deposit. Porsche has no firm visibility that goes out that far. Both you and Porsche will be at the mercy of several global events.

timo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan GTS, Sequoia
Country flag
Nationwide search.

You'll be waiting a long time around here. Even if you got an allocation today your probably looking at 9 months.

OP
OP

hitmonlee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Macan GTS
Country flag
Where would you be on the waitlist at the new place?

Overall this all seems like a crapshoot. I put a deposit down at RWC last October and they haven’t moved me up and I’m still in the same slot as it doesn’t seem like they’ve gotten any CTs (or they redirected them towards people who were paying ADM?)

Anecdotally here it seems like people have been able to secure allocations with Marin or other dealers in shorter timeframes. So I guess getting a sense as to how close you are to the front and how many they’ve gotten over the past few months might help, though the rest of this year will probably be unpredictable with everything going on.
As I said, they've been ignoring this question for some reason.

Marin told me they don't charge markup but requires purchase of a bike or a watch, which I thought was bullshit so didn't pursue further.

The dealership where I've put down $5k as I described in my original post was Stevens Creek. Refundable and no markup. 8th on the WL.

Jsuo19

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Q7
Country flag
I was hunting for a sedan GTS allocation and was lucky enough to find one on the east coast

I was on the same waitlist as you at two different dealerships in NorCal, neither with an allocation or any estimate of when they might get one.

dealer I bought from is a high volume dealer on the east coast (marin is a similarly high volume in NorCal i believe) and they told me that they were not expecting any additional allocations for the rest of the year and why they had actually implemented a very substantial ADM (this was in a span of two weeks from when I called to when I went in person). When I called the NorCal dealers to tell them I found an allocation and to return my deposit, they similarly told me that they did not expect any allocations for the remainder of the year and it would be 12 to 18 months

Mind you this is for the Sedan version as well. From what I've heard the ST and CT models are even more in demand in certain areas with longer waitlist

Wish I had better news to tell you but it looks like it's going to be a wait. For what its worth I emailed/called about 40 dealers nationwide

familyhauler

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (ordered)
Country flag
As I said, they've been ignoring this question for some reason.

Marin told me they don't charge markup but requires purchase of a bike or a watch, which I thought was bullshit so didn't pursue further.

The dealership where I've put down $5k as I described in my original post was Stevens Creek. Refundable and no markup. 8th on the WL.

Oops, bad at reading!

I've been weighing the "should I put down another deposit" and I guess I'd probably echo what everyone else here is suggesting, which is it could be worth it if you're targeting a dealer somewhere else and shelling out for delivery (or PEC which sounds cool!)
The waitlist at RWC is supposed to be super long, so even though the Bay Area dealers might be high volume, I suspect you could do better elsewhere. Based on posts here, it seems like the Midwest was much better with people able to snag allocations with minimal wait.
Of course, this was probably an actual strategy 6+ months ago, as now it's all a crapshoot given the extreme imbalance between supply/demand in North America.

jkoya

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Taycan CT4, 23 Mini Cooper SE on order
Country flag
I placed a deposit with Stevens Creek last September and I was third in line for an allocation. Porsche picked up the order the following month. For the record, I'm finally taking delivery next week of a Mamba Green 4 CT (The car was stuck at "Port Processing" at the Port of Benicia for about 2 months). I will say the communication with Stevens Creek has been excellent and I'm hoping the delivery goes well next week also..
Sponsored