Just installed Ring dash cam over the weekend. Anybody using one?

ithinkmac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'17 3, '22 4S CT, '22 MXP
Country flag
So far, I like it. Keeps my ChronoSport compass company. :)

I backed dRIDE4k on kickstarter, but now being a year late. I gave up on it. Bought Ring Dashcam when Amazon started selling them earlier this year.

Install was super easy. ODBII Port for power. Mounting was super easy. some wedge and taped to glass. took all of 30 mins, that includes me taking 15 minutes to properly route the usb-c cable.

Works like any Ring product with the same software. Took me a while to figure out why I was not seeing driving videos. I turned on privacy cover, but video defaults to the interior camera, and I have to hit a button in the app to toggle the camera to front facing. Not intuitive.

I like the clean look. LTE connection for live view.

A bit pricey, but well worth it for the easy install DIY crowd.

-ThinkMac-
Sponsored

Rusk

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mamba Taycan CT4S
Country flag
Pictures, please! I'm considering this as I have several Ring products already.

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
So far, I like it. Keeps my ChronoSport compass company. :)

I backed dRIDE4k on kickstarter, but now being a year late. I gave up on it. Bought Ring Dashcam when Amazon started selling them earlier this year.

Install was super easy. ODBII Port for power. Mounting was super easy. some wedge and taped to glass. took all of 30 mins, that includes me taking 15 minutes to properly route the usb-c cable.

Works like any Ring product with the same software. Took me a while to figure out why I was not seeing driving videos. I turned on privacy cover, but video defaults to the interior camera, and I have to hit a button in the app to toggle the camera to front facing. Not intuitive.

I like the clean look. LTE connection for live view.

A bit pricey, but well worth it for the easy install DIY crowd.

-ThinkMac-
Thanks for sharing but really key for threads like this to show pics of install in car as many may not have seen how it looks on the Taycan dash/window.

BMonte13

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Porsche Taycan
Country flag
I want it but super nervous it will mess with the electronics and/or battery of the finicky Taycan.

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I want it but super nervous it will mess with the electronics and/or battery of the finicky Taycan.
Too 'intrusive' for me but again would like to see pics in a Taycan but TBH, I am super happy with my FitCamX - has worked flawlessly for nearly a year now and hands down the most OEM out there - more OEM than Porsche's own offering!

kmcdonal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan 350Z, Subaru WRX
Country flag
Too 'intrusive' for me but again would like to see pics in a Taycan but TBH, I am super happy with my FitCamX - has worked flawlessly for nearly a year now and hands down the most OEM out there - more OEM than Porsche's own offering!
What does it mean to be more OEM than Porsche's? Just curious.

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
What does it mean to be more OEM than Porsche's? Just curious.
How integrated it is with the Porsche mirror assembly - no visible wiring, all hidden and, for real, the dealership techs have yet to even recognize its there!!

Porsche Taycan Just installed Ring dash cam over the weekend.  Anybody using one? IMG_5051

jkoya

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Taycan CT4, 23 Mini Cooper SE on order
Country flag
I don't have this installed in the Cross Turismo, but I did install one in our Mini Cooper SE about a month ago. It looks like it would obscure your view, but in actual driving I don't notice it. Unlike the FitCam X, you can obviously tell its there. I will say this came with the narrowest diameter USB cable I have ever seen and install was very easy.

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I don't have this installed in the Cross Turismo, but I did install one in our Mini Cooper SE about a month ago. It looks like it would obscure your view, but in actual driving I don't notice it. Unlike the FitCam X, you can obviously tell its there. I will say this came with the narrowest diameter USB cable I have ever seen and install was very easy.
I want to see pics of that too :)!!

Wife has her Mini Cooper S and we're planning on getting the next generation electric (if it EVER gets to the US!) but I'm beginning to think all Ring Dashcam owners are rather shy about showing off their kit :)!

jkoya

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Taycan CT4, 23 Mini Cooper SE on order
Country flag
want to see pics of that too :)!!

Wife has her Mini Cooper S and we're planning on getting the next generation electric (if it EVER gets to the US!) but I'm beginning to think all Ring Dashcam owners are rather shy about showing off their kit :)!
Here you go.... The pic makes it look like it really obstructs the field of view, but it's not really bothersome when driving..

Porsche Taycan Just installed Ring dash cam over the weekend.  Anybody using one? Rin

simcity

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Taycan Turbo, Eletre R (on order)
Country flag
Here you go.... The pic makes it look like it really obstructs the field of view, but it's not really bothersome when driving..

Ring.jpg
I had to zoom in on the dashboard pattern as my tired old eyes saw snake skin effect on my phone 🤣

oh dashcam looks good 👍

BMonte13

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Porsche Taycan
Country flag
Just looked up and watched YouTube videos for fitcamx. Looks great and unlike ring it seems there's no subscription required. I'm still nervous about messing with the electronics of the finicky Taycan but this seems like a great option.

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Just looked up and watched YouTube videos for fitcamx. Looks great and unlike ring it seems there's no subscription required. I'm still nervous about messing with the electronics of the finicky Taycan but this seems like a great option.
Be aware that they also have a front+rear camera setup too (mines just front) in case of interest.
Sponsored