Just ordered 19.2 kW AC On-Board Charger.

Mike in CA

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, '19 e-Tron, '24 GMC 2500HD Duramax
Country flag
No - this is what a timer is for. Timer sets maximum, profile sets minimum.
I'm confused.

I charge almost 100% from solar and my Powerwall storage so I don't worry about timers when charging the e-Tron. I just leave the charging profile set to 80% and plug in whenever it's convenient during the day. If I need to plug in overnight for some reason and the Powerwall's don't have enough juice I'll just manually plug in after rates drop at 11PM and get a partial charge from the grid. I'm rarely in bed before then anyway.

Are you saying that the only way to limit the maximum charge to 80% on the Taycan is to set the timer? Maybe I'm misunderstanding something.

Edit: Let me ask it this way. With our Audi set for a maximum of 80% charge, regardless of what the current SOC is, I can plug in at any time and the car will charge to 80% and stop.

Is there a way to do that with the Taycan without setting timers?
Sponsored

Last edited:

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
19.2 kW is a great home charging setup and highly recommended if you can afford it and get away with it - but honestly it’s overkill 98% of the time - but no one has ever complained “my EV is charging too fast”

I’m not against the 19.2 kW feature in the North American market -I just want to make sure people understand where/when they will be able to take advantage of it - and unfortunately in North America that’s not very often outside of a few businesses and any potential home setup.

But if you want it and can afford it and want to charge your Taycan as fast as possible at home this is a great setup!

It will charge your Taycan faster than other options, just don’t get it and expect to charge that fast when you’re away from home - the most common places for fast charging away from home will be DC Fast chargers - and this option does not apply to those types of chargers.

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
Does 19.2 kW always imply a 3-phase supply?

LovinTaycan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan and 2019 Mercedes S560V
Country flag

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I'm confused.

I charge almost 100% from solar and my Powerwall storage so I don't worry about timers when charging the e-Tron. I just leave the charging profile set to 80% and plug in whenever it's convenient during the day. If I need to plug in overnight for some reason and the Powerwall's don't have enough juice I'll just manually plug in after rates drop at 11PM and get a partial charge from the grid. I'm rarely in bed before then anyway.

Are you saying that the only way to limit the maximum charge to 80% on the Taycan is to set the timer? Maybe I'm misunderstanding something.

Edit: Let me ask it this way. With our Audi set for a maximum of 80% charge, regardless of what the current SOC is, I can plug in at any time and the car will charge to 80% and stop.

Is there a way to do that with the Taycan without setting timers?
If you remove all timers and set the general charging profile to 80% (and make sure it's enabled, make sure optimized charging is set, not preferred charging times), the car will do exactly that - immediately charge to 80% when you plug it in then stop.

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Question for those who are charging with >60Amps. Do you have any "evidence" it is too much amperage for your house's setup even if it is ok on paper. Do you have any other heavy loads (electric dryer, oven, A/C) on at the same time?

Why do I ask? Because when I charge at 40Amps and use the electric dryer (less than 20Amps) at the same time, the lights' brightness dims a bit, and I feel I am using "too much" juice. It happens only when the combined total load is >60amp. I don't feel very comfortable turning on the electric oven and/or AC at the same time and increase the load by another 30 amps, even though my set supports on paper.

My setup is:
- 200Amp main panel
- 100Amp subpanel in the garage. There are any other big loads in the garage, just the NEMA 14-50 for charging, a few LED lights and some unused 120v outlets
- The dryer is is on a line straight from the main one.
- This is a less than 10 year old installation (together with solar). All circuit breakers and wire sizes are correct and per code (inspected by city, licensed electrician and myself)

p.s. I suspect this is more because of the utility company than my house but how do I verify it? I was thinking to check if the neighbors lights also dim when I use too much power since his house is connected to the same pole transformer as mine.

Last edited:

andrewket

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Taycan Turbo, Tesla Y*2; Prev S,X,3,996TT
Country flag
Question for those who are charging with >60Amps. Do you have any "evidence" it is too much amperage for your house's setup even if it is ok on paper. Do you have any other heavy loads (electric dryer, oven, A/C) on at the same time?

Why do I ask? Because when I charge at 40Amps and use the electric dryer (less than 20Amps) at the same time, the lights' brightness dims a bit, and I feel I am using "too much" juice. It happens only when the combined total load is >60amp. I don't feel very comfortable turning on the electric oven and/or AC at the same time and increase the load by another 30 amps, even though my set supports on paper.

My setup is:
- 200Amp main panel
- 100Amp subpanel in the garage. There are any other big loads in the garage, just the NEMA 14-50 for charging, a few LED lights and some unused 120v outlets
- The dryer is is on a line straight from the main one.
- This is a less than 10 year old installation (together with solar). All circuit breakers and wire sizes are correct and per code (inspected by city, licensed electrician and myself)

p.s. I suspect this is more because of the utility company than my house but how do I verify it? I was thinking to check if the neighbors lights also dim when I use too much power since his house is connected to the same pole transformer as mine.
Start by measuring the voltage. First with no load, and then each time you add additional load. Some voltage sag is expected, but if you get below 230V it is an indication that you either have an undersized main or the transformer needs replacement. The good news - if it’s the transformer, your utility will replace it at no charge to you.

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Start by measuring the voltage. First with no load, and then each time you add additional load. Some voltage sag is expected, but if you get below 230V it is an indication that you either have an undersized main or the transformer needs replacement. The good news - if it’s the transformer, your utility will replace it at no charge to you.
I also suspect the transformer. A few of them burnt-out during the heat-wave when everyone had the A/C on, so clearly they are not up for the task.
So if your neighbors who are connected to the same transformer also buy Evs and charge at the same time as you with 40, 60 or 80 amps, you might have problems :)

GRV

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X7 | Tesla Model 3 | Taycan 4s (MY21)
Country flag
Just received this for a config I have ordered. Freeze date is in a week. Anyone else get something similar?

"Porsche had to remove the 19.2 kW on-board charger option because they are having technical issues with this. - Thanks for your patience,"

andrewket

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Just received this for a config I have ordered. Freeze date is in a week. Anyone else get something similar?

"Porsche had to remove the 19.2 kW on-board charger option because they are having technical issues with this. - Thanks for your patience,"
I haven’t, but my freeze date was two weeks ago. It’s important for my home setup. If they have to remove it I will probably walk away for now.

Last edited:

GRV

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X7 | Tesla Model 3 | Taycan 4s (MY21)
Country flag
I haven’t, but my freeze date was two weeks ago. It’s important for my home setup. If they have to remove it I‘ll probably walk away for now.
My thoughts too. I'll put it on hold. BTW, my plan was to use a GEN2 Tesla Wall Charger.

andrewket

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
My thoughts too. I'll put it on hold. BTW, my plan was to use a GEN2 Tesla Wall Charger.
Same.

Edit: I just checked track your dream and my car went into production today, 3 days early. The 19.2kW charger is still listed on the config, for whatever that’s worth.

Last edited:

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag

Interesting (and worrying).

https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/t...-ac-charger-installed-anyways.4023/post-55404

Mine worked one time and now refuses to work. Its back at my local Porsche Centre who spent six hours trying to coax it to work. I'll find out more info tomorrow and post it to my thread there.

The pictures I took of it working on that thread were the first and last time I've seen the AC charger work. That charging session ended with an error and its never worked since.

Way too early for me to speculate any specifics but I'd believe there could well be an issue with the charger. It was a very important option for me and I waited it to be available before I ordered my car.
Sponsored