Just took delivery...Need help from forum.

zelement

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17 Panamera 4S. 19 Cayenne S
Country flag
Just took delivery on Friday. Awesome car. The Taycan is a way better looking car in person compared to pictures.

Besides the car and the driving experience, I am having some issues that I hope members here can help me address. Majority of them are Porsche Connect related.

1. Charging at Electrify America station: Since there is a station nearby, I decided to give it a shot. I went through Connect to "Purchase" the subscription of $0. Then I download the CHARGE NA app on my phone. I followed the instructions on the APP and station. Apparently the Connect app is not talking to the Charge NA app because every time I plug in the charger, it is telling me that I have to go to Porsche Connect to "purchase" the subscription. My Connect app is already showing that the service is purchase and active. I assume this is a Porsche Connect issue?

2. I cannot get the WiFi hotspot to work in the car. I followed the instructions under PCM Services. The app is saying that it is connected to the car but "without internet connection"? When I am in the connect app under Connection Status, it is showing all red dots from Mobile device to the Porsche Server, and to the Taycan. ( see attached photo). Is anyone else having issues with this?

3. In Connect, under Charging Profile. I tried to setup General Charging at home. After I set the charging time and save it is saying "action failed. Please try again" (see attached photo). This happens over and over. Is this with Porsche Connect or am I doing something wrong.

4. This is PCM related. I have my driver setting on Recoup ON, Electric Sound ON, and Drive mode in SPORT. I hit the SET + 1 on the door. However, every time I get in the car, the Recoup is OFF, Electric Sound is OFF and Drive mode is NORMAL. How do I set this my settings so I do not have to change every time.

Any help is appreciated.

TIA.

Paul

Porsche Taycan Just took delivery...Need help from forum. IMG_20200712_081549_655

Porsche Taycan Just took delivery...Need help from forum. Screenshot_20200713-115226_Connect

Porsche Taycan Just took delivery...Need help from forum. Screenshot_20200713-120455_Connect

Last edited:

svp6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S
Country flag
welcome to the tad counterintuitive Porsche software. It cn all be solved but be patient. SO here it is:

1. Did you get to the point where Porsche charging app asks you for a credit card then kicks you out of the app onto your credit card site? Unless you complete that step, there is not credit card on file, and no way to purchase from EA through Porsche charging app. Alternatively you can use the EA app in a pinch - but obviously at significantly higher cost.

2. The wifi in the car connects to the internet, but does not allow you to browse on your phone / tablet when connected to the hotspot. Perhaps a future iteration

3. Make a new profile in the Porsche Connect app or in the web browser. Set what time you depart, when you want to charge and what is max charge. I deselected the general charging after that.

OP
OP

zelement

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
welcome to the tad counterintuitive Porsche software. It cn all be solved but be patient. SO here it is:

1. Did you get to the point where Porsche charging app asks you for a credit card then kicks you out of the app onto your credit card site? Unless you complete that step, there is not credit card on file, and no way to purchase from EA through Porsche charging app. Alternatively you can use the EA app in a pinch - but obviously at significantly higher cost.

2. The wifi in the car connects to the internet, but does not allow you to browse on your phone / tablet when connected to the hotspot. Perhaps a future iteration

3. Make a new profile in the Porsche Connect app or in the web browser. Set what time you depart, when you want to charge and what is max charge. I deselected the general charging after that.

Thank you.

1. I don't remember if I got to the credit card part when purchasing the free charging. Here is the screen from Connect showing that it's active.

2. I see. I guess the problem for me is that since the WiFi connected, when I play Pandora on my phone, it is saying there is no connection. I would have to disconnect my WiFi from my phone and only use my cell service to play Pandora. I assume this is normal right?

3. Ok. I will try that.

Any suggestion on #4?

Also, I noticed that the Taycan does the same thing as my Panamera when reversing. The Passenger mirror tilts up instead of down when in reverse. Does anyone know how I get it to tilt down?

Porsche Taycan Just took delivery...Need help from forum. Screenshot_20200713-115619_Connect

Singularity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY 2020 Taycan 4S, MY 2022 Audi Q7 60 TFSIe
Country flag
Nothing you can do about #4. That's just a limitation of the software as it stands, unfortunately.

HelfFL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Nothing you can do about #4. That's just a limitation of the software as it stands, unfortunately.
This is true. So I assigned the Electric Sound to the Quick Access Button on the steering wheel and with the Recoup button right below as soon as I get in the car I just press the Quick Access button and Recoup button on the steering wheel and they're both on. It's second nature after a few times and just becomes part of the driving startup.

OP
OP

zelement

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
That's a great idea. I will configure the other short cut button on the dash for Homelink. It's weird they put it in the center screen now.

snstevens

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Just took delivery on Friday. Awesome car. The Taycan is a way better looking car in person compared to pictures.

Besides the car and the driving experience, I am having some issues that I hope members here can help me address. Majority of them are Porsche Connect related.

1. Charging at Electrify America station: Since there is a station nearby, I decided to give it a shot. I went through Connect to "Purchase" the subscription of $0. Then I download the CHARGE NA app on my phone. I followed the instructions on the APP and station. Apparently the Connect app is not talking to the Charge NA app because every time I plug in the charger, it is telling me that I have to go to Porsche Connect to "purchase" the subscription. My Connect app is already showing that the service is purchase and active. I assume this is a Porsche Connect issue?

2. I cannot get the WiFi hotspot to work in the car. I followed the instructions under PCM Services. The app is saying that it is connected to the car but "without internet connection"? When I am in the connect app under Connection Status, it is showing all red dots from Mobile device to the Porsche Server, and to the Taycan. ( see attached photo). Is anyone else having issues with this?

3. In Connect, under Charging Profile. I tried to setup General Charging at home. After I set the charging time and save it is saying "action failed. Please try again" (see attached photo). This happens over and over. Is this with Porsche Connect or am I doing something wrong.

4. This is PCM related. I have my driver setting on Recoup ON, Electric Sound ON, and Drive mode in SPORT. I hit the SET + 1 on the door. However, every time I get in the car, the Recoup is OFF, Electric Sound is OFF and Drive mode is NORMAL. How do I set this my settings so I do not have to change every time.

Any help is appreciated.

TIA.

Paul
---------------------
Paul - My experience on the 4 items --

1. I needed to accept the offer of 3 years free charging in Porsche Connect, although I did it via a web browser not the iPhone app since it was easier to add the credit card this way.

Once you've completed that step, open Electrify America App on your iPhone. in the upper left corner click on the 3 parallel lines, and in the side menu choose Login. You can login using your Porsche Connect login credentials. Now when you try to initiate charging it will work.
Porsche Taycan Just took delivery...Need help from forum. Charging America 1

2. I've not been able to get this to work either, and I think the reason is that it was intended for countries that offer the ability to buy a data plan for your car. The LTE connection definitely works, and is used by Porsche Connect to download map updates, destinations and routes, etc. However, I don't believe that the US offers the ability to treat the LTE network as a HotSpot. If that were allowed without a data plan, it's likely that some owners would use the HotSpot for all their data while traveling.

3. Regarding charging profiles: I think it's safe to say that Porsche is still working out bugs in their Porsche Communications Management (PCM) system, and in Porsche Connect. As reported by Don (@louv) in https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/don-breaks-his-taycan-the-saga-of-the-12v-battery.1274/ there are actions that may cause your 12V battery to discharge unexpectedly.

One of those actions appears to be communicating with the car via the Porsche Connect App to change settings for a Charging Profile or a Charging Timer, while the car is connected and charging. This has led me to stop using Profiles and Timers and simple allow the car to charge to 100% whenever it is connected.

I've read in other threads that Porsche maintains a 12% uncharged reserve in all cases, so when we see 100% charged, it really means 88% (Forum Community - Correct me if I'm wrong here). In any event, I intend to let Porsche make the entire charging system a bit more bulletproof before I experiment with that further. (NOTE: One other step I take is to always log out of a Porsche Connect App or when connected via a browser since I've experienced unintended communication between an open App and the car at least once.)

I highly recommend reading Don's great thread on breaking his Taycan as it give you some great info and pointers on what to do if and when your Taycan 12V battery dies. (NOTE: Since my manuals are in the car, and the car could of course be locked if and when I have a 12V battery failure, I downloaded the "Good to Know" app from Porsche (in the App Store), specified my model, and bookmarked the sections dealing with the 12-Volt Batter and Car Care for starters.)

4. Regarding Settings: I've experimented with this and to my knowledge the Taycan does not save the items you mentioned (Recuperation, Electric Sound, Drive Mode) nor does it save seat heating/cooling from one ride to the next. Perhaps this will change at some point in the future.

Even though there are some "new technology" things about the Taycan that are a pain, I love driving this car! It handles extremely well, rides like a dream (even over speed bumps), and accelerates like no other car I've ever driven. I'm more than happy with the purchase and I think you will be too

Sam

snstevens

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
This is true. So I assigned the Electric Sound to the Quick Access Button on the steering wheel and with the Recoup button right below as soon as I get in the car I just press the Quick Access button and Recoup button on the steering wheel and they're both on. It's second nature after a few times and just becomes part of the driving startup.
On the subject of Sound -- Initially I assigned the Electric Sound feature to the Quick Access button on the steering wheel. Little did I know how much I liked driving with an almost silent car, and so hardly ever turned it on.

Then I found a better use for the Quick Access button on the steering wheel. As you are aware, when backing up or moving forward near obstacles, the ParkAssist function wakes up and start beeping. This sound has never bothered me, but it drives my wife nuts since she thinks an accident is imminent! So I decided to assign the "ParkAssist Mute" function to the steering wheel Quick Access button. My wife no longer goes nuts .

TK-421

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan GTS - 2021 Cayenne
Country flag
Place the car in reverse and adjust both mirrors to your preferred position. Place the car in park. From now on, when you choose reverse the mirrors will adjust to the position you chose.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
I can buy airtime for this in France through MyPorsche and the services for the car. But the cost is higher than just having a good data plan on your mobile so I do not see any value from that feature. If I need to I can put my mobile in hotspot mode also. The car will get updates to traffic info, map updates etc via LTE so the car has the necessary data connection.

This is the same as we have in our BMW as well. Even if I always put steering, dampers, gearbox and throttle response to sport mode when driving, it reverts back to standard settings when I lock and unlock the car. I thought it would be stored in the BMWs key but NO it doesn’t. Get back to standard. Just the same as Taycan. Hopefully we can ge5 a future update that could give us the choice to have it remain in the drivers key or in the drivers profile?

svp6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S
Country flag
Thank you.

1. I don't remember if I got to the credit card part when purchasing the free charging. Here is the screen from Connect showing that it's active.
In the charge app when you choose buy Porsche charging it takes you to a page you need to log on and complete the purchase (the 0$ thing). Scroll at the bottom of the app and there is a method of pay there (Visa / Mastercard / American Express). Choose the card type you want and that takes you to the credit card site where you have to login. Once you did that, the card is linked to the app.

OP
OP

zelement

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Snstevens, so you use the Electrify America App? I don't have Iphone but I downloaded the app on my S9 and did what you showed in the post. I used my Porsche Connect login credentials but it didn't work. It's saying invalid user and password. Do you have to be at the charging station with the car plugged in to log in?

TK-421: Thanks for the mirror suggestion. I had my 971 Panamera for 3 years and didn't know how to do this. I thought the mirror was just messed up. LOL.

Regarding the WIFI hotspot. I don't remember my Panamera having this issue. I did purchase the ATT data plan for the google map services so maybe that's why it worked?

SVP6, Thanks. I did that and realized they had my old cc on file which I replaced with a new one. Is there a way we can figure out if this worked before heading to a charging station? Do you have the Charge NA app or Electrify America app on your phone?

wemct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Cayenne S Coupe; '22 AMG SL55; Taycan 4S(sold)
Country flag
Snstevens, so you use the Electrify America App? I don't have Iphone but I downloaded the app on my S9 and did what you showed in the post. I used my Porsche Connect login credentials but it didn't work. It's saying invalid user and password. Do you have to be at the charging station with the car plugged in to log in?

TK-421: Thanks for the mirror suggestion. I had my 971 Panamera for 3 years and didn't know how to do this. I thought the mirror was just messed up. LOL.

Regarding the WIFI hotspot. I don't remember my Panamera having this issue. I did purchase the ATT data plan for the google map services so maybe that's why it worked?

SVP6, Thanks. I did that and realized they had my old cc on file which I replaced with a new one. Is there a way we can figure out if this worked before heading to a charging station? Do you have the Charge NA app or Electrify America app on your phone?
You need to download the "Charging NA" app from the Play Store. The Electrify America app is a nice to have, but it is the app for the general public, not specific to the Porsche program for the free 30 minute sessions.

With regard to the Wifi Hotspot, the ability to browse the Internet has not yet been enabled according to my calls with Porsche NA.

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 911 4S, Range Rover Sport Hybrid, Range Rover Vouge
Country flag
I can buy airtime for this in France through MyPorsche and the services for the car. But the cost is higher than just having a good data plan
Exactly, or fit a 12volt or USB hotspot in the car with your own data plan. Ridiculous that we are forced to use an expensive & inadequate data plan.