RBGtaycan

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia EV6; Taycan RWD....Past: 356, Cayman S
Country flag
One of the Tesla Supercharger locations on Long Island (Shirley) has been converted to accommodate non-Tesla charging and I decided to give it a whirl. I was impressed by how easy it was to use.

You need the Tesla application and then only need to tell it what charge stationr ID you are using and that unlocks the charger. And then, unlike a few of my EA experiences, it simply works.

Some things to note about the experience: Carplay does not have the right address - so it was pretty useless. Porsche navigation does NOT show it as a charger (yet; hopefully that will be fixed!?). The location has two chargers located so that you can charge from the side (instead of from the front (thanks for that Tesla!). If you would need to access the other chargers, it involves a "taking two spots" process.

Overall, I give the experience two thumbs up! Definitely nice to have expanded options.
Sponsored

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
it's a viable and attractive alternative - I hope they push out more sites

Bill33525

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘24 Q8 ETron 55 SUV, '22 Taycan RWD
Country flag
Tesla has the V4 dispenser on the way with a longer cable. There are several locations where we visit that have Tesla SuC. Will be nice when those locations receive the Magic Dock conversion.

lcarron

First Name
Laurent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cross Turismo 4S
Country flag
One of the Tesla Supercharger locations on Long Island (Shirley) has been converted to accommodate non-Tesla charging and I decided to give it a whirl. I was impressed by how easy it was to use.

You need the Tesla application and then only need to tell it what charge stationr ID you are using and that unlocks the charger. And then, unlike a few of my EA experiences, it simply works.

Some things to note about the experience: Carplay does not have the right address - so it was pretty useless. Porsche navigation does NOT show it as a charger (yet; hopefully that will be fixed!?). The location has two chargers located so that you can charge from the side (instead of from the front (thanks for that Tesla!). If you would need to access the other chargers, it involves a "taking two spots" process.

Overall, I give the experience two thumbs up! Definitely nice to have expanded options.
What was the cost per kilowatt ?

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
What was the cost per kilowatt ?
$0.51/kWh appears to be the rate - I personally try and avoid caring about the price/kwh because I view the whole process as "paying for time" vs. "power" - because the alternative is 8.5 hours to slow charge for less money…

Porsche Taycan Just used a Tesla Supercharger for the first time IMG_1587

OP
OP
RBGtaycan

RBGtaycan

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia EV6; Taycan RWD....Past: 356, Cayman S
Country flag
$0.51/kWh appears to be the rate - I personally try and avoid caring about the price/kwh because I view the whole process as "paying for time" vs. "power" - because the alternative is 8.5 hours to slow charge for less money…

IMG_1587.jpeg
I can confirm the .51 / kwh..altho it would be cheaper if I joined a plan (not my current expectation since EA is "free" for another year)

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Well, the beauty is, it's your choice.
You can "interact with Tesla drivers" and reliably charge your car, or you can embrace hope as a strategy and bet on EA.

I know I wish I'd specced the 400V option on my Taycan ...
Hmmm, interact with Tesla fans boy douche nozzles or charge at 75kw by the dumpster behind a Taco Bell. It’s a real Sophie’s choice…

lcarron

First Name
Laurent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cross Turismo 4S
Country flag
Any idea how to see which Tesla supercharge can charge other car using j1772 in the US?
I upload a few App but I can't see any option to filter it.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
Any idea how to see which Tesla supercharge can charge other car using j1772 in the US?
I upload a few App but I can't see any option to filter it.
Surely the Tesla app does!

and you need that anyway to start a charge and pay

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Surely the Tesla app does!

and you need that anyway to start a charge and pay
most (all?) Tesla J-1772 chargers do not require an account or any app to start - just permission of the business owner where it's installed.

they are simply "passive" EVSE's that happen to have a Tesla connector rather than the North American standard J-1772 - most of these EVSE's are listed on plug-share…these types of chargers are no different than the EVSE you have installed in your home garage - and have _NO MECHANISM_ to support billing, accounting, or start/stop via app - they are simply EVSE's installed by a business for the convenience of their customer base - control of these EV chargers and their usage is subject to the policy/permission of the owner's of the associated business - but there is NO actual physical controls (or app) required to plug in an charge.

I've seen some businesses (hotels actually in my experience) - that have the EV charger's breaker behind a lock box -and you need to ask the front desk to open the box and throw the breaker - otherwise there is no power to the EVSE…but that's about it in terms of "billing & control" for these types of chargers.

it's just actually simpler to have a TeslaTap (or equivalent) and use plugshare to find L2 AC chargers - and it will either be J-1772 native or Tesla - and with the TeslaTap you can use that one as well.

the "grey" Icon's in this post screen shot are non-fast Chargers that are J-1772 chargers Tesla knows about.

there are essentially three types of "Tesla" EV chargers in North America.
  1. Tesla DC Fast Chargers (Superchargers) - these require
    1. MagicDock equipped stalls - these are rolling out now - but they are in limited deployment at this time
      1. consult the Tesla app's built in "map" to see current locations
    2. Tesla Account w/associated Billing information for charge session billing.
    3. Tesla app to start the charging session
  2. 240V AC L2 Tesla Destination Chargers (1.44 kw to 19.2 kW charge rate - like all AC L2 chargers) - these require
    1. a TeslaTap or similar
    2. permission of the business owner to use (hotels, malls, & other businesses)
    3. they are simply plug in and start charging - there is _NO_ billing or control to start a charging session - they are no different than your home charger - they are just passive EVSE's provided by the associated business for use by their customers.
  3. 240V AC L2 Tesla Destination Chargers w/J-1772 connector (1.44 kw to 19.2 kW charge rate - like all AC L2 chargers) - these require
    1. permission of the business owner to use (hotels, malls, & other businesses)
    2. they are simply plug in and start charging - there is _NO_ billing or control to start a charging session - they are no different than your home charger - they are just passive EVSE's provided by the associated business for use by their customers.

Last edited:

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
most (all?) Tesla J-1772 chargers do not require an account or any app to start - just permission of the business owner where it's installed.
Ok but I thought he asked for the Tesla Supercharger, since that was the thread topic. And there as you also state you need the app.

I did not think he meant the normal EVSE

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Ok but I thought he asked for the Tesla Supercharger, since that was the thread topic. And there as you also state you need the app.

I did not think he meant the normal EVSE
but then he said "J-1772" - which is not supercharger - so it's a confused question
Sponsored