Keeping car locked while high pressure washing?

Mr. Mercedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
W223 S450, X3M40i
Country flag
How do you guys keep the car locked and charging ports down when high pressure washing the vehicle with the key in your pocket?

My electric charge port has opened 2-3 times while washing.
Sponsored

Perry

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla SP85D, Model P3D, Taycan Turbo S CT
Country flag
Turning off comfort access should probably solve that, I think.

fgwinn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY22 FBM CT4 (sold), MY23 EQS 450 4Matic SUV
Country flag
Try disabling the key by pressing the lock and unlock button at the same time (red light will flash). You can confirm that the key is disabled by trying to start the car. It should complain that the key cannot be found. To re-enable the key fob, press any button.

STLLTH

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4; Tesla Model 3 Performance
Country flag
I pressure wash mine every weekend and have never had a problem with the charge port opening from the pressure washer. It has occasionally opened when I'm actually using the wash mitt and I accidentally brush underneath. I would say avoid having the key fob close to the car an also do not spray up underneath where the charge port sensor is located. The water might cause it to open.

Reactions: B61

Mike in CA

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, 2019 e-Tron, F250 Powerstroke
Country flag
It's unlikely that the issue is "pressure washing" per se. I never pressure wash (I use a water de-ionizing system for spot free washes) however all of my vehicles have keyless entry and if I have the key in my pocket the stream of water will trigger the touch sensitive locking and unlocking. I suspect the same thing is happening with your charge port, which is also touch sensitive.

Just take the key out of your pocket. I don't think it's necessary that it be placed 10 feet away but it's likely the nearest dry location will be that far away anyway. ;)

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
It's unlikely that the issue is "pressure washing" per se.
stream of water will trigger the touch sensitive locking and unlocking.
Right. It’s a capacitive sensor and the water changes the capacitance.

Capacitive sensors are commonly used for liquid measurement and detection.

OP, I would just let it unlock so you can open the door the get the inside also. 👍💦💦💦

Hirschaj

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4 - Mamba Green, 2022 Challenger
Country flag
Try disabling the key by pressing the lock and unlock button at the same time (red light will flash). You can confirm that the key is disabled by trying to start the car. It should complain that the key cannot be found. To re-enable the key fob, press any button.
This is the way.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
You can't disable the key!

You can disable Comfort Access (where fitted).

Other options in the Porsche Good To Know App may also help.

Porsche Taycan Keeping car locked while high pressure washing? Screenshot_20220710-073609_Porsche Good to know

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
I pressure wash mine every weekend and have never had a problem with the charge port opening from the pressure washer. It has occasionally opened when I'm actually using the wash mitt and I accidentally brush underneath. I would say avoid having the key fob close to the car an also do not spray up underneath where the charge port sensor is located. The water might cause it to open.
Once, i opened frunk with water….

STLLTH

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4; Tesla Model 3 Performance
Country flag
Once, i opened frunk with water….
Are you using an electric pressure washer? What size is the sprayer nozzle on the pressure washer. Ideally for washing cars you want to use a 3.5 or 4.0 degree nozzle anything less is too hard and the concentrated pressure could be what's causing it. If it's opening the frunk then I believe your key fob could be too close to the car when washing it. I generally leave my key in the garage while my car is outside.

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
Are you using an electric pressure washer? What size is the sprayer nozzle on the pressure washer. Ideally for washing cars you want to use a 3.5 or 4.0 degree nozzle anything less is too hard and the concentrated pressure could be what's causing it. If it's opening the frunk then I believe your key fob could be too close to the car when washing it. I generally leave my key in the garage while my car is outside.
I was on a self-service station… there are four different (pressure) washers… one for/with foam, another with clear water, etc…. If i recall correctly, frunk opened when i was ”touching” (cleaning) with a brush on a stick…but keys in my pocket, i guess too close even if i stand about one meter away.

JimBob

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
When washing the car I put my keys in a Faraday pouch which solves the problem of things unintentionally opening or unlocking.
Sponsored

Reactions: B61