Keeping interior cool / AC on after leaving car?

VolcanoGrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Cross Turismo Turbo, G63, Mini (Electric)
Country flag
Hello,

in my previous car, an I-pace, I could press a button before I left the car to keep the AC on for 30 minutes. Not quite dog mode but still useful and easily accessible.
I know I can use the app to cool the car but is there a function in the car I can set?

I’ve had the new Turbo for a few days and I love it.
Porsche Taycan Keeping interior cool / AC on after leaving car? E9E4EDD5-E17C-40B8-9658-A11B380AF6C1
Sponsored

LonePalmBJ

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S Gentian Blue Metallic, Black/Chalk,
Country flag
Obviously you can also do this from the app. Preheat precool.

Not sure if setting it in the car then locking it will work.
Yes, it does. With the hot Atlanta summer I use it almost every day. Never need to come back to a sweltering car after a stop for a coffee, lunch or an errand.

TXAG

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan RWD
Country flag
In the center console, click the battery button, there is a pre-cool/heat button. Good for 60 minutes.
Thanks! I thought that was to precool/heat the battery compartment to the optimum charging temperature - I didn't realize it was for the car interior.

Now I see it in Good-to-Know:
Porsche Taycan Keeping interior cool / AC on after leaving car? 1658260944487

TaycanCook

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MG 4S CT
Country flag
Thanks! I thought that was to precool/heat the battery compartment to the optimum charging temperature - I didn't realize it was for the car interior.
It is a strange place to embed this button. I would have thought it would be better fit in the vehicle "comfort" setting to be intuitive to find. Though, it's rather convenient to have it where it is now as well.

OP
OP
VolcanoGrey

VolcanoGrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Cross Turismo Turbo, G63, Mini (Electric)
Country flag
Obviously you can also do this from the app. Preheat precool.

Not sure if setting it in the car then locking it will work.
ah - I’ll have to test it then… the extra step of opening the app would make me more likely to forget to set it.

LonePalmBJ

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S Gentian Blue Metallic, Black/Chalk,
Country flag
Correct. That button ONLY impacts the cabin climate control. The button being on the Battery page is especially confusing.

Unfortunately, there is no manual way to precondition the battery system on demand. The only way to precondition the battery is to navigate to a charger in the Nav system.

Taycan4CT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4 CT
Country flag
Yes, it does. With the hot Atlanta summer I use it almost every day. Never need to come back to a sweltering car after a stop for a coffee, lunch or an errand.
Do you loose much in the way of range?
I am planning on doing this daily around noon to keep the interior from getting baked.
Unfortunately don't have a garage spot for work.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Doesn’t a departure timer precondition the battery also? I am not sure if this is a false memory, wishful thinking, or just a side effect of charging itself.
No, only when using Nav. Manual stopovers or specifically navigating to an EVSE will invoke battery preconditioning. If Charging Planner is active navigating to an automatically added EVSE for a given route where available range is exceeded will also invoke battery preconditioning.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
No, only when using Nav. Manual stopovers or specifically navigating to an EVSE will invoke battery preconditioning. If Charging Planner is active navigating to an automatically added EVSE for a given route where available range is exceeded will also invoke battery preconditioning.
My experience is that it works quite well. If you plug in and charge at a hotel overnight on a Charger, the battery will preheat if you set a departure time and choose preheat etc. I have done this several times with nights at a few degrees C below zero and the battery has been up to about 16 to 21 degrees. It is not preheated for going to an Ionity charger (30+ degrees) but it helps efficency when starting to drive.

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
Do you loose much in the way of range?
I am planning on doing this daily around noon to keep the interior from getting baked.
Unfortunately don't have a garage spot for work.
When I was using it last winter in the mornings to de-ice the car, I seem to recall it used about 3% of the battery in the hour it was on.
Sponsored