Kettles and other 12v outlet equipment

oxum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Cross Turismo 4S
Country flag
I have been thinking of getting a kettle for my Taycan to enjoy a good cup of java wherever we are. I just couldn't find all the information I wanted about it in the Good to know app.

Does the power from the 12v outlets come from the 12v battery or the HV battery?

If not the from the HV battery, would one risk depleting the 12v battery if using to boil water?

In ICE cars I know the alternator would basically enable you to use the current for as long as the car is on without risks on the 12v battery.. It seems a bit more hazy when it comes to an EV.

Any advice appreciated on these as the last thing I'd want is to brick the car on a trip while making coffee. :D
Sponsored

JimBob

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
There are discussion on Tesla forums about this, but haven't seen one for a Taycan.

The most I have done is run a little air pump to put air into a tire without an issue.

I guess there are two things that could happen. Either 1. the fuse blows or the software shuts the 12v battery down to protect it against excessive current draw or 2. it works.

I think the former but you could be the first tester and report back.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
Looks like max of 30 min operation with vehicle off (suggesting longer if vehicle is on) and max 240watt for single socket.

Porsche Taycan Kettles and other 12v outlet equipment EAF703D5-0883-4F82-B31C-99DE45E1255E

Reactions: AV7

Midlifecrisis

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Taycan 4S (sold). Macan SD (sold)
Country flag
240 Watts. That will take a while to boil water. Most kettles are 2400-3000 Watts!

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
240 Watts. That will take a while to boil water. Most kettles are 2400-3000 Watts!
I looked up some 12V travel kettles out of curiosity and they seem to be in the 20-25min range. So, yes, pretty slow.

Maybe they have a 16kW 800VDC version. 🤣

Gnasher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Cross Turismo
Country flag
It’s probably better to get a thermal flask with a battery to keep your drink warm plus doesn’t dig into your range! IMO it’s a nice idea but maybe not worth it..

Does anyone plan to have a cool box ? Same principle i think…

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
It’s probably better to get a thermal flask with a battery to keep your drink warm plus doesn’t dig into your range! IMO it’s a nice idea but maybe not worth it..

Does anyone plan to have a cool box ? Same principle i think…
I purchased the Tequipment cooling bag. It looks nice and not to big. It has a protection not to drain the battery. Haven’t tested it yet but I think I will unplug it during stops. The isolation should keep things cool for a while. I had a bigger cooling box in my X5 45e and didn’t unplug it and never had an issue. Draining the 12V battery would have had the same effect as in the Taycan.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I have been thinking of getting a kettle for my Taycan to enjoy a good cup of java wherever we are. I just couldn't find all the information I wanted about it in the Good to know app.

Does the power from the 12v outlets come from the 12v battery or the HV battery?

If not the from the HV battery, would one risk depleting the 12v battery if using to boil water?

In ICE cars I know the alternator would basically enable you to use the current for as long as the car is on without risks on the 12v battery.. It seems a bit more hazy when it comes to an EV.

Any advice appreciated on these as the last thing I'd want is to brick the car on a trip while making coffee. :D
12v battery would be the supply source.

With the car powered on then the 12v should automatically be topped up via the HV battery.

I have the cool bag (crap) which is 12v.

https://content3.eu.porsche.com/pro...c=product&pr=4B627C9EF1ABF45FC12587950052A261

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag

With the car powered on then the 12v should automatically be topped up via the HV battery.

https://content3.eu.porsche.com/prod/pag/tequipment/TeqFinder.nsf/TeqFinder?ReadForm&ba=Taycan&ma=PCGB (RL)&sp=1&bt=J1&mo=Taycan 4S Sport Turismo&co=30&ac=product&pr=4B627C9EF1ABF45FC12587950052A261
Yes that is the bag I mentioned I purchased in my post above. Will test it to see if it is crap and leave it in a 🗑 during my holiday if necessary 😂.

4MBN

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M5, TTSCT
Country flag

https://content3.eu.porsche.com/prod/pag/tequipment/TeqFinder.nsf/TeqFinder?ReadForm&ba=Taycan&ma=PCGB (RL)&sp=1&bt=J1&mo=Taycan 4S Sport Turismo&co=30&ac=product&pr=4B627C9EF1ABF45FC12587950052A261
I have the cool bag too. It does look "cool" but agree it's not great.

Capacity disappointing compared to the size of the bag.

I had mixed results on my recent road trip, sometimes it worked well, sometimes it didn't!

Gnasher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Cross Turismo
Country flag
I have the cool bag too. It does look "cool" but agree it's not great.

Capacity disappointing compared to the size of the bag.

I had mixed results on my recent road trip, sometimes it worked well, sometimes it didn't!
this !

I have the Audi one which is I think the same just rebranded.

can fit a couple of cans of coke in there and it’s just not worth the space it takes.

I’ve never used it in fact so it’s brand new !

horses for courses though and some people would need this for baby milk etc just not for me and with electric car rather not drain battery.