First Name
Hamid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Hello All,

I've recently started getting an error for the key fob being unrecognized and not being in the car. Seems odd I am holding it right behind the steering while and at times have had to press the unlock which it recognizes. It eventually recognizes the key but not without the painful pressing all buttons etc and waiting for it. I've replaced the battery twice and it continues to do the same thing. Anyone else experience this, have a solution or known cause? I am going to try and use the spare key tomorrow to see if that has the same issue.

Car is scheduled to go dealer to get rear tires replaced and the latest campaign to repair the wires under the seat that has been tearing due to back and forth movement of the seats next week, so if this remains outstanding I see what they can find out from the dealership.

When the key is not recognized certain features behind the error message become inaccessible, and also if you are parked then obviously it will not let you drive off!! This could have become a major issue on a couple of occasions during the last few days.

Happy 4th July to all in the States.
Sponsored

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
The transponder for the key is in the central armrest cupholder. Place in there to re-register.

Normally I keep my keys in my pocket or in a jacket on the back seat.

If you walk away from the car whilst powered on and the key is in your pocket the error will also be displayed but should reset / re-register when you return.

tomw00

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RRS P510e, i3S,Turbo
Country flag
The transponder for the key is in the central armrest cupholder. Place in there to re-register.

Normally I keep my keys in my pocket or in a jacket on the back seat.

If you walk away from the car whilst powered on and the key is in your pocket the error will also be displayed but should reset / re-register when you return.
This is good know - literally every time I step out of the car to plug it into a charger I get a call from Vodafone about 15 mins later. I will give this a test......

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
This is good know - literally every time I step out of the car to plug it into a charger I get a call from Vodafone about 15 mins later. I will give this a test......
Or leave your PTVS+ tracker fob in the car which deactivates the Vodafone alert.

Remember to take the fob with you when finished using the car.

OP
OP

Hami

First Name
Hamid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Odd I've tried putting the key in the cup holder it seems to work on some occasions certainly not always! I thought I had solved it as I used to keep my spare garage opener and remote hotspot in the second cupholder and I thought things got better when I removed the electronics that it may be blocking the reception to the transponder. BUT no, again intermittently works and then it gives the no key in vehicle error. I am reticent to have to take the car in to service for them to sort this out. I am going to try the second key to see if that works normally ie keeping it in your pocket etc like I used to do with the key before. Otherwise it would mean a faulty key! Anyone have any other thoughts experienced same issue?

OP
OP

Hami

First Name
Hamid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
I still can't solve this issue and the dealer says there are no errors pulled from the car to indicate key issues. Has anyone experienced this... I have now got in to some embarrassing situations where I am sitting in my car needing to move off and the key is not being recognized and I am frantically moving it around putting it in the cupholders hoping the car recognizes it and I can move on! It even occurs while driving where I can't access anything? Fortunately it has come alive again allowing me to move on...but??? what happens if it doesn't? I have changed the key fob battery several times and checked the voltage to be >3.0v. Anyone have any ideas? I looked in the manual but couldn't find the reset section for the key fob?

Porsche Taycan Key missing error in the car while driving tempImageW8FOKP

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I still can't solve this issue and the dealer says there are no errors pulled from the car to indicate key issues. Has anyone experienced this... I have now got in to some embarrassing situations where I am sitting in my car needing to move off and the key is not being recognized and I am frantically moving it around putting it in the cupholders hoping the car recognizes it and I can move on! It even occurs while driving where I can't access anything? Fortunately it has come alive again allowing me to move on...but??? what happens if it doesn't? I have changed the key fob battery several times and checked the voltage to be >3.0v. Anyone have any ideas? I looked in the manual but couldn't find the reset section for the key fob?

tempImageW8FOKP.png
The dealer should be able to resolve this. Sounds like you've tried everything you can and so either there is a master reset / re-pair the dealer can only perform OR there is as fault with the key transponder in the car and needs replacing.

Other option is to try a 12v battery reset by disconnecting and reconnecting.

Other is for you have the tracker installed - PVTS? If so perhaps the issue relates to the tracker fob (which also requires pairing.

Porsche Taycan Key missing error in the car while driving Screenshot_20220902-091601_Porsche Good to know

Last edited:

Pozuelo

First Name
Roberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2018 E63S Estate, 2023 A45S
Country flag
Is this happening in the same locations ? Here in Spain, when I pass by sensitive government offices or locations it happens due to safety measures. They are equipped with multi-frequency inhibitors, which effectively block most frequencies in the vicinity.

OP
OP

Hami

First Name
Hamid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Thank you, dealers is not much help, service rep mentioned they are seeing this routinely and nothing can be done as it's a software issue pending Porsche's next move. Reproducibility of the error is kind of hit and miss never necessarily occurring at the same place!! Which is very odd. I took it in and of course while I was there we couldn't repeat the error. For now the recommendation is to keep the key fob in the second cupholder while driving!

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Thank you, dealers is not much help, service rep mentioned they are seeing this routinely and nothing can be done as it's a software issue pending Porsche's next move. Reproducibility of the error is kind of hit and miss never necessarily occurring at the same place!! Which is very odd. I took it in and of course while I was there we couldn't repeat the error. For now the recommendation is to keep the key fob in the second cupholder while driving!
My son had a similar issue with his BMW and the fix was a software patch.

GTSCarLife

First Name
GTS Car Life
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
11 997 GTS, 85.5 944, 16 Cayenne S, 23Taycan 4S CT
Country flag
FWIW, this happens with my wife’s 2016 Cayenne S and also used to happen with my 2015 Macan S. It’s just something that happens occasionally. In those cars, you hold it up to the dash, right of the steering wheel and that instantly resolves the issue.

OP
OP

Hami

First Name
Hamid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
This happens with both keys, replaced fob batteries several times, the resolution but not always is by putting it in the cupholder and hope for the best...sometimes it connects and sometimes it doesn't and takes a while by moving around. Other times it doesn't resolve until you shut it down and restart the car.

OP
OP

Hami

First Name
Hamid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
This error is now occurring very frequently even though the key is placed upright in the second cupholder. It has put me in some embarrassing situations waiting in line to pick up kids and it was my turn to move forward and the car would not respond due to not recognizing the key. It took me several minutes to find the right location in the car for it to finally connect and allow me to move the car to D to move forward. This surely can not be the norm for a top of the range car manufacturer? Booked a service appointment as this is not only highly embarrassing but could be dangerous as you lose some car functionality when this error occurs while driving. As not many people seemed to have experienced this error I am thinking there has got to be a fault somewhere in the sensor?
FYI: This happens everywhere so not location specific. It occurs with both keys separately. I’ve also changed the battery on both key several times with no improvement. This error was did not occur when I bought the car, it started happening soon after major update. If anyone else is experiencing issues with their key being recognized by the car and have found a permanent solution please let me know. In my current situation my electric bike is more reliable then my Porsche that surely is not the way it should be!

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
This error is now occurring very frequently even though the key is placed upright in the second cupholder. It has put me in some embarrassing situations waiting in line to pick up kids and it was my turn to move forward and the car would not respond due to not recognizing the key. It took me several minutes to find the right location in the car for it to finally connect and allow me to move the car to D to move forward. This surely can not be the norm for a top of the range car manufacturer? Booked a service appointment as this is not only highly embarrassing but could be dangerous as you lose some car functionality when this error occurs while driving. As not many people seemed to have experienced this error I am thinking there has got to be a fault somewhere in the sensor?
FYI: This happens everywhere so not location specific. It occurs with both keys separately. I’ve also changed the battery on both key several times with no improvement. This error was did not occur when I bought the car, it started happening soon after major update. If anyone else is experiencing issues with their key being recognized by the car and have found a permanent solution please let me know. In my current situation my electric bike is more reliable then my Porsche that surely is not the way it should be!
No had this issue but did have with my PVTS fob / Driver's Card - battery replacement cured it.

When you say 2nd cupholder do you mean the one closest or furthest to the lower display?
Sponsored