Key Not Detected After Tinting Windows

IceTaycan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan
Country flag
Hey everyone,

I just picked up my 2021 Taycan 2 weeks ago and took it today to get the windows tinted. Everything had Been working perfectly but when I picked up the car after the windows had been tinted, the car cannot detect my key. I was able to drive the car home and bought a new battery for my key and still same issue. Any ideas what may be going on and how to fix this? I took it to a really reputable, high end place that does a lot of exotics. I had my Panamera’s windows tinted there without issue. I called the owner and he had no idea how that could have happened. Any help would be appreciated.
Sponsored

andrewket

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Taycan Turbo, Tesla Y*2; Prev S,X,3,996TT
Country flag
When you say the key isn’t working, can you be more specific? Just comfort access (keyless)? Do the buttons on the FOB work? It sounds like it still worked inside the car since you were still able to drive it.

OP
OP

IceTaycan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan
Country flag
When you say the key isn’t working, can you be more specific? Just comfort access (keyless)? Do the buttons on the FOB work? It sounds like it still worked inside the car since you were still able to drive it.
The comfort access, when I sit in the car it says Key not Detected Hold Power to Continue to Search (something along those lines), my seat doesn’t automatically adjust, while driving it continues to say key not detected and then disappears. When I open the trunk and press the button to close and lock it begins to close and stops. The buttons on the FOB work though.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
The comfort access, when I sit in the car it says Key not Detected Hold Power to Continue to Search (something along those lines), my seat doesn’t automatically adjust, while driving it continues to say key not detected and then disappears. When I open the trunk and press the button to close and lock it begins to close and stops. The buttons on the FOB work though.
I think this is a coincidence and not related.

Sounds like a fault / software glitch. To rule this out take it to your dealer.

Try placing the key in the cupholder (as per the Porsche Good To Know App to see if it re-registers.

Same situation with the other key?

OP
OP

IceTaycan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan
Country flag
I think this is a coincidence and not related.

Sounds like a fault / software glitch. To rule this out take it to your dealer.

Try placing the key in the cupholder (as per the Porsche Good To Know App to see if it re-registers.

Same situation with the other key?
it doesn’t re-register. Putting it in the cup holder seems to do nothing. The only way to drive the car is by holding the power button once you’re inside…I know, this is all super weird. I only have one key as Porsche is backed up with providing spare keys due to the Pandemic.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
it doesn’t re-register. Putting it in the cup holder seems to do nothing. The only way to drive the car is by holding the power button once you’re inside…I know, this is all super weird. I only have one key as Porsche is backed up with providing spare keys due to the Pandemic.
Bizarre! Dealer it is ..

andrewket

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Taycan Turbo, Tesla Y*2; Prev S,X,3,996TT
Country flag
I’m going to guess it is related. A guess, the detailer/installer left the key in or near the car with the doors opened for a prolonged period of time and caused the key to get out of sync.

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
I'd also bet that it's related to the tint installation.
Did they need to do anything unusual with the side windows to fit the tint?
Might they have disconnected the 12v battery?
Was there another Porsche fob nearby that might now be inadvertently paired with your vehicle? ?
Does the Connect app still work to lock/unlock, sound horn etc?

OP
OP

IceTaycan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan
Country flag
I'd also bet that it's related to the tint installation.
Did they need to do anything unusual with the side windows to fit the tint?
Might they have disconnected the 12v battery?
Was there another Porsche fob nearby that might now be inadvertently paired with your vehicle? ?
Does the Connect app still work to lock/unlock, sound horn etc?
i have no clue. The Porsche Connect App Does Work. I called him and asked and he said that they didn’t have to remove any panels or anything. I’m taking the car today to Porsche to see what’s going on. I’ll keep you guys posted.

On a totally different topic, do you guys have issues with your car alarm going off unless you disable interior monitoring each time you get out of the car? Also my wireless phone charger doesn’t work and I don’t have the option to turn it on in the phone settings….

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
On a totally different topic, do you guys have issues with your car alarm going off unless you disable interior monitoring each time you get out of the car? Also my wireless phone charger doesn’t work and I don’t have the option to turn it on in the phone settings….
Sorry, still got my Cayenne for now so can't comment (other than to say that the interior monitoring works fine except for triggering every time my dashcam fell off the windscreen, but that's my own fault). You do seem to have electrical gremlins- good luck at Porsche, if that doesn't work you might need some kind of exorcism ritual.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
i have no clue. The Porsche Connect App Does Work. I called him and asked and he said that they didn’t have to remove any panels or anything. I’m taking the car today to Porsche to see what’s going on. I’ll keep you guys posted.

A few folk on the forum have alarm issues on their CTs (search for it) - known problem.

Wireless charging is a build issue on some new cars due to the semiconductor shortages ,- your dealer should know.

dcmonks

First Name
Denny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4
Country flag
Wireless charging is a build issue on some new cars due to the semiconductor shortages ,- your dealer should know.
So they are shipping some without wireless charging??? I am assuming that they are then planning to install it at a later date?

OP
OP

IceTaycan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan
Country flag
So they are shipping some without wireless charging??? I am assuming that they are then planning to install it at a later date?
yes, the dealership told me yesterday when I took in the car. Same with the steering wheel adjustment. There is a shortage of modules So those will be installed on a later date as well.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Yes, amongst other things. Your dealer should advise / inform. As it happens the Qi wireless charging isn’t all that - heat issues and positioning - I tend not to use it.
Sponsored