First Name
Jennifer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan, 2022 Polestar 2
Country flag
Hello,

I got my Taycan 2 weeks ago, I've been secretly stalking you guys, just reading the posts haha. Decided to open a tppic about this, because apparently it has a recall and I have to go to the dealer next week, and I'm wondering if my issue should be addressed as well. Coming from a Tesla, where I had no need for a key and that was awesome, now I have a keyfob and it's very inconsistent. Just changed the battery last night, and still if I get in the vehicle with the keyfob in my pocket it would say it's not detected.

I've owned several cars, and I have never had this issue. It's so annoying. So I have to get the keyfob out and literally place it on the seat, or on the cupholders.

Does this happen to you guys? are Porsche keyfobs really that crappy?
Sponsored

r553

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
981 Spyder, 2015 Cayenne Diesel, 2020 Taycan 4s
Country flag
The keyfobs are crappy. I get the message when I get back into the car ( car on already ). I have to move the fob around in my pants pocket to make the car happy. It usually detects the keyfob initially upon walking up to the car ( comfort access ). The keyfob doesn't like to be near a cellphone or another fob in my experience. It works well in shirt pocket....

OP
OP
jenzfc

jenzfc

First Name
Jennifer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The keyfobs are crappy. I get the message when I get back into the car ( car on already ). I have to move the fob around in my pants pocket to make the car happy. It usually detects the keyfob initially upon walking up to the car ( comfort access ). The keyfob doesn't like to be near a cellphone or another fob in my experience. It works well in shirt pocket....

well, crap... that's what I was afraid of. Keyfob is not good and my issue is normal. Damn it. thanks for the response.

submatrix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan
Country flag
I wouldn't say it's necessarily normal. I very rarely (but it has happened) get the keyfob not detected, maybe 1 in every 30 drives. I put it in the cup holder and once it's detected, I put it back into my pocket. Otherwise, on those other 29 drives, I just always have the keyfob in my pocket (and never actually interact with it when starting a drive, since I use Comfort Access).

Do you use Comfort Access? When it happens to you, do the handles unlock and present themselves as you walk up?

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
I find key detection very reliable. I use comfort access – and I notice – it will not work if my key fob and iPhone are in the same pocket. I also always put my iPhone into the holder/connect to USB and keep the key fob in my pocket while driving.

So @jenzfc – any chance you have your phone and key fob near each other?

SergeyIndy

First Name
Sergey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
24 Macan GTS, 23 Taycan Turbo, 20 Cayenne Turbo,
Country flag
well, crap... that's what I was afraid of. Keyfob is not good and my issue is normal. Damn it. thanks for the response.
I do not have one yet but I drove a 2021 4S for several days as a tester and it did that to me all the time. I did not bother the dealer with it but what I did was to place it in the groove on the right side behind the front cluster and it kind of disappears there but easy to retrieve and place there. Otherwise, any other position in the storage below or in the cupholders did not work and always initiated Key Fob not found when trying to start.

I understand this is not ideal but that is what worked for me and if you get a leather pouch for the key then it will work even better.

OP
OP
jenzfc

jenzfc

First Name
Jennifer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I wouldn't say it's necessarily normal. I very rarely (but it has happened) get the keyfob not detected, maybe 1 in every 30 drives. I put it in the cup holder and once it's detected, I put it back into my pocket. Otherwise, on those other 29 drives, I just always have the keyfob in my pocket (and never actually interact with it when starting a drive, since I use Comfort Access).

Do you use Comfort Access? When it happens to you, do the handles unlock and present themselves as you walk up?

I do have comfort access, handles do raise when I get close. Speaking of that... would the car automatically lock when I walk away? I always wonder that, BMWs with comfort access do lock when you walk away.

It does happen to me 9/10 times. Even when the key is by itself in my jean or jacket pocket. Like a light layer in between and is still struggling.

Weird, car unlocks but when I sit down it says that key is not detected. IMO it's not normal... it shouldn't be! key not even in my purse with hella more items, is just in my pocket by itself.

OP
OP
jenzfc

jenzfc

First Name
Jennifer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I find key detection very reliable. I use comfort access – and I notice – it will not work if my key fob and iPhone are in the same pocket. I also always put my iPhone into the holder/connect to USB and keep the key fob in my pocket while driving.

So @jenzfc – any chance you have your phone and key fob near each other?
I will make sure to test it out with phone and key in different pockets! because so far, it's been not reliable at all.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Hello,

I got my Taycan 2 weeks ago, I've been secretly stalking you guys, just reading the posts haha. Decided to open a tppic about this, because apparently it has a recall and I have to go to the dealer next week, and I'm wondering if my issue should be addressed as well. Coming from a Tesla, where I had no need for a key and that was awesome, now I have a keyfob and it's very inconsistent. Just changed the battery last night, and still if I get in the vehicle with the keyfob in my pocket it would say it's not detected.

I've owned several cars, and I have never had this issue. It's so annoying. So I have to get the keyfob out and literally place it on the seat, or on the cupholders.

Does this happen to you guys? are Porsche keyfobs really that crappy?
Not crappy at all and not had an issue with my Taycan fob or other Porsches.

Sounds like your fob battery is draining which could be due to how you store it. You'll have noticed that it flashes red when in proximity of the car. If the key is flashing where you normally keep the fob then relocate otherwise this will drain the battery.

If you have the car powered on and in P then if you exit the car with the key the chances are the key not detected message will display - this is normal and is part of the theft prevention. The key will quickly re-register when you are in the car. If not then placement in the cupholder (where the transponder is located) should re-register it.

It is possible you have a fault and should get it checked out. My son experienced this on his brand-new BMW - key detection error - software patch required.

Do you get the problem with both keys?

OP
OP
jenzfc

jenzfc

First Name
Jennifer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Not crappy at all and not had an issue with my Taycan fob or other Porsches.

Sounds like your fob battery is draining which could be due to how you store it. You'll have noticed that it flashes red when in proximity of the car. If the key is flashing where you normally keep the fob then relocate otherwise this will drain the battery.

If you have the car powered on and in P then if you exit the car with the key the chances are the key not detected message will display - this is normal and is part of the theft prevention. The key will quickly re-register when you are in the car. If not then placement in the cupholder (where the transponder is located) should re-register it.

It is possible you have a fault and should get it checked out. My son experienced this on his brand-new BMW - key detection error - software patch required.

Do you get the problem with both keys?
Hello,

Car is three weeks old, and I literally just replaced the battery last night.
I have not tested the other key, I will for sure. Maybe this particular key is deffective.

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
[s] 2021 Taycan AWD [\s] 2022 Rivian R1T
Country flag
The fob for my ‘17 Boxster (also with comfort access) is much more reliable in terms of detection than my Taycan fob.

Taycan fob buttons are also way more touchy…I’m constantly finding the frunk popped when I go out to the garage for something unrelated.

carboard123

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4s 1972 911T Targa
Country flag
Hello,

Car is three weeks old, and I literally just replaced the battery last night.
I have not tested the other key, I will for sure. Maybe this particular key is deffective.
I have never had this issue. You may have a bad key fob. I would get the dealer to replace it.

OP
OP
jenzfc

jenzfc

First Name
Jennifer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The fob for my ‘17 Boxster (also with comfort access) is much more reliable in terms of detection than my Taycan fob.

Taycan fob buttons are also way more touchy…I’m constantly finding the frunk popped when I go out to the garage for something unrelated.
Oh hell no!

GlasgowTaycanCT

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cross Turismo 4S ordered, LR Discovery, i8, Macan
Country flag
I do have comfort access, handles do raise when I get close. Speaking of that... would the car automatically lock when I walk away? I always wonder that, BMWs with comfort access do lock when you walk away.

It does happen to me 9/10 times. Even when the key is by itself in my jean or jacket pocket. Like a light layer in between and is still struggling.

Weird, car unlocks but when I sit down it says that key is not detected. IMO it's not normal... it shouldn't be! key not even in my purse with hella more items, is just in my pocket by itself.
My Comfort Access works well. Key fob is always detected.
You have to touch the handle to lock when you leave the car
Sponsored