Kids and black/chalk interior. A bad decision?

modular

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mercedes E-Coupé, Porsche Taycan (soon)
Country flag
Hello everyone! So, last November '21 I've ordered a Taycan RWD. The delivery should be in early April, so I still have a couple of weeks to swap things around...

I'm having some doubts regarding my interior options. I've selected the car in dolomite silver+turbo aero 20' wheels and the standard black/chalk interior. Thing is, I have a couple of kids (3 and 7) and I'm worried the interior colour might be a bad option, because you know... kids don't care. What can you tell me about this? Should I just go with the full black interior which is a bit 'meh', or the black/chalk is no problem and easily cleaned? I'm also afraid that jeans might stain the seats too...

Any feedback is appreciated!

Thank you!
Sponsored

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Hello everyone! So, last November '21 I've ordered a Taycan RWD. The delivery should be in early April, so I still have a couple of weeks to swap things around...

I'm having some doubts regarding my interior options. I've selected the car in dolomite silver+turbo aero 20' wheels and the standard black/chalk interior. Thing is, I have a couple of kids (3 and 7) and I'm worried the interior colour might be a bad option, because you know... kids don't care. What can you tell me about this? Should I just go with the full black interior which is a bit 'meh', or the black/chalk is no problem and easily cleaned? I'm also afraid that jeans might stain the seats too...

Thank you!
I have the crayon / black but in extended leather. Really easy to keep clean - no detergent just a damp clean cloth plus a leather cleaner every couple of months. Standard interior has partial leather - seat bolsters and centres - so I think you will be fine as long as you do the weekly wipe down routine.

Personal choice here but personally I think all black would look better (and disguise marks better) with silver assuming the budget won't stretch to extended leather.

Also consider getting an interior treatment to protect - not sure on cost but probably worthwhile?

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
I once has a silver interior in an Audi.
No kids and I really looked after it.
Leather care/feed regularly etc.

It was fine initially, but after 2 years the drivers seat (only) started looking really tired and generally tatty. Tried everything to get it looking better, but to no avail.

Decided to always stick with darker colours since.

Obviously, may be different with Porsche! Just my 2p.

BigBob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4S, Range Rover Sport
Country flag
I had a panamera with a light cream interior for around 10 years and with a similar aged child. The leather kept its looks pretty well. The part of the interior that 'aged' was the carpets which were also a light brown-beige type colour. I think in your spec the carpets etc are black, so you don't have that to worry about.
Just don't let the kids have any sharpies in the car....

4thPcar

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Previously: 914, 944 and 997 911S. Now Taycan
Country flag
I have the chalk interior and I think it looks amazing. No regrets. No bleeding from jeans (but all mine are pretty faded already!). I don't have young kids anymore but when I had my 911 they always knew that food was not allowed in daddy's car, only mommy's.

DANgerous

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
I've put the Porsche seat cover in my little one's seat so this isn't such an issue for me! I went for the red/black contrast leather. No regrets, especially with the seat cover!

OP
OP
modular

modular

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I've put the Porsche seat cover in my little one's seat so this isn't such an issue for me! I went for the red/black contrast leather. No regrets, especially with the seat cover!
Which seat cover did you bought? Yeah, both my kids don't really care where their feet are and still use children chairs. I really need to protect that area and also the back from the front seats.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
Is [blah] a bad idea with kids?
if you have to ask or are even thinking it then the answer is probably, 99% - yes it’s a bad idea.

SHM

First Name
oOo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Main problem with seats:
* new jeans or other clothes that have not been washed yet (especially if they get wet)
* sunscreen (its bad for seats, plastic and also paint)

I would say "kids" per say may not be that important, you can have grownups coming and putting sunscreen on your paint for instance.. Especially in seats by seat belt, in the seat it self, in door corvers inside, door outside by handles etc.

But remember, this is a car. So it will get wear and tear if you use it for transportation.
Remember your family > your car..

RAHRCR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Panamera Sport Turismo 4S
Country flag

Thank you!
I have chalk leather seats in my Panamera 4S ST with 2 kids that play sports. By far the worst looking seat is my own. With that said, my own seat can look dirty or blue jean stained at times but cleans up fairly easily. I have not been diligent about maintenance btw. I wouldn’t go so far as to recommend chalk for a family car but I can say that it is very manageable if you choose to do so.

Hope this helps….

DANgerous

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
Which seat cover did you bought? Yeah, both my kids don't really care where their feet are and still use children chairs. I really need to protect that area and also the back from the front seats.
I got the official Porsche one from the Porsche website (like this one). Below is a photo of mine, it's difficult to see but it's under the car seat and protects the whole seat including where the legs hang down. I also got the Porsche rear seat cover, which hangs off the back of the driver's seat. That one steps them from scratching the driver's seat when they kick.

Porsche Taycan Kids and black/chalk interior. A bad decision? IMG_0198

OP
OP
modular

modular

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Can you also post a picture of the rear seat cover? Won't that look ugly looking, haha? :)

I got the official Porsche one from the Porsche website (like this one). Below is a photo of mine, it's difficult to see but it's under the car seat and protects the whole seat including where the legs hang down. I also got the Porsche rear seat cover, which hangs off the back of the driver's seat. That one steps them from scratching the driver's seat when they kick.

IMG_0198.jpg

DANgerous

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
Can you also post a picture of the rear seat cover? Won't that look ugly looking, haha? :)
I don't have a picture handy. But it isn't ugly... you can just see the top of it in my photo, it clips around the top of the drivers seat (which you will only notice when you put it on, and will forget after) and then clips under the bottom. It then sits flush with the back of the seat, and has two pockets for the kids to put their toys/whatever in there. It doesn't look that bad, and in fact the only place you'd even see it is from the back seat itself.

Last edited:

chylld

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S
Country flag
Black/Chalk with 2 young kids here, who both climb into the car themselves. Not the first car I've had with this colour scheme, kids can be messy but the interior always holds up well.

Porsche Taycan Kids and black/chalk interior. A bad decision? IMG_1455

nickmdp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
Just keep your eyes on the road and it will all be fine ;)

In all seriousness though, I'm going with the GTS and Race-tex interior, and just reminding myself that at the end of the day, the car is for driving, not for me to protect for the next owner. Yeah, I'm going to clean up messes when they happen, and maybe it will wear terribly, but the absolute worst case scenario is that you lose out on some resale value. Take the color you really want, and enjoy the hell out of it!
Sponsored