Kind of feeling screwed over. Placed over in Dec 2021 and still no allocation

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan 4S Cross Turismo, '06 Club Coupe (#48)
Country flag
It is definitely both model and dealer dependent. Some dealers get more allocations.

I told my dealer in November that I wanted a 4S CT. I believe it was January or February when they got an allocation. I promptly placed order. Car made in May and delivered in June.

I have bought various Porsches from 2 of the 3 local dealers. One dealer insisted that I put down a $35K deposit for a car that would not be delivered for at least 9 months. I asked why when they know me and know that I will follow-through. They told me that it was because my spec was so "unusual" 😂 I told them that I would rather walk than let them have 35k for the privilege of waiting for some unknown amount of time months in the future. This was the same dealer who wanted me to put down a 10K non-refundable deposit for a Taycan when it was so new that they didn't have any specifications or even know the price. I mean, good God, with Porsche, hard to know either Taycan would have been 50K, 100K, 150K, 250K, 500K or 1M . . . at some prices and specifications I would be interested, but at others I would not.

I went to other dealer, they asked for small deposit and then never even ran my card to take it, and now I have my Taycan.

I know from whom I'll buy my next Porsche . . .

Good luck.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Sorry

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 Cabriolet; Taycan on order
Country flag
Looks like you're in the US. Here in th UK it's not as simple as looking for a dealer with an allocation. There are no allocations available at any dealers here. We do not have lot/dealer specced cars like in other countries. 99% are built to customers spec. Process here is spec a car, dealer creates new order form and ask for a deposit. Once deposit has been paid the dealer sends the new order to Porsche in Germany requesting an allocation for that particular build. Demand at this time is outstripping supply therefore orders exceed allocations it means zero spare allocations. Occasionally a dealer may have an cancelled order close to or beyond freeze so can make sense to ring around and try your luck.
Got it. We still do configure and build the car btw when we get an allocation in the US (I was not referring to dealer-specific builds etc.). I am surprised that the process is so different, as you are suggesting it is very much first come first serve (i.e. the largest dealership in UK could submit many allocations and get them all?). I thought much of this deal was to continue to 'spread' out Porsches as much as possible even with allowing for steady sales growth yoy and also treat dealers somewhat fairly.

Sorry

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It is definitely both model and dealer dependent. Some dealers get more allocations.

I told my dealer in November that I wanted a 4S CT. I believe it was January or February when they got an allocation. I promptly placed order. Car made in May and delivered in June.

I have bought various Porsches from 2 of the 3 local dealers. One dealer insisted that I put down a $35K deposit for a car that would not be delivered for at least 9 months. I asked why when they know me and know that I will follow-through. They told me that it was because my spec was so "unusual" 😂 I told them that I would rather walk than let them have 35k for the privilege of waiting for some unknown amount of time months in the future. This was the same dealer who wanted me to put down a 10K non-refundable deposit for a Taycan when it was so new that they didn't have any specifications or even know the price. I mean, good God, with Porsche, hard to know either Taycan would have been 50K, 100K, 150K, 250K, 500K or 1M . . . at some prices and specifications I would be interested, but at others I would not.

I went to other dealer, they asked for small deposit and then never even ran my card to take it, and now I have my Taycan.

I know from whom I'll buy my next Porsche . . .

Good luck.
Similiar experience here, but as long as given an actual allocation though, am fine with a large 'refundable' deposit.

PorscheCH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
taycan turbo CT
Country flag
For once it seems that Europe (or part of it) is privileged vs US? In Switzerland, I received a 992 turbo s end of Jan 22 , 4 months wait from order - actually the dealer let me order both cabrio and coupe (with good specs) and let me chose what I wanted a month before delivery (i ended up choosing the coupe). They said they would sell the other very quickly anyway.
I saw a video last year from Nick Murray in the US talking about 911 and explained (allegedly from some trusted sources) that allocation strategy favors markets with higher MSRP and most expensive options on average. Not sure if this plays a role..

tbinmd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4, 991.2 GT3
Country flag
Wife placed her order for a CT4 beginning of Oct21. We knew our dealer had an allocation and it was her's for the asking. Car arrived at the dealer on 12/3/21. Whenever ordering a new Porsche you should always confirm you have an allocation, if not move a long to another dealer. Porsche assigns allocations to dealers based on their sales. An allocation is model specific, if a dealer has an CT4S allocation, they cannot order a CT4 based on that same allocation. They can trade with another dealer.

tayCanadian

First Name
Amit
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Cayenne Coupe E-Hybrid (RIP), 2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
In addition to being country, dealer and model dependent, I was told that it is build dependent too and that Porsche does not assign build dates on a first come, first serve basis, but rather that builds that have a higher amount spent on options might be favoured/prioritized vs those with less spent on options.

This is what my SA told me. I'm not sure if it's really Porsche who does that or the actual dealer mind you.

Anyway, I placed my order/deposit for a GTS on April 9th. I found out a few weeks ago that my build will happen in October and I should have the vehicle in November. If no delays, that would make it around 7-8 months.

Sorry

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
In addition to being country, dealer and model dependent, I was told that it is build dependent too and that Porsche does not assign build dates on a first come, first serve basis, but rather that builds that have a higher amount spent on options might be favoured/prioritized vs those with less spent on options.

This is what my SA told me. I'm not sure if it's really Porsche who does that or the actual dealer mind you.

Anyway, I placed my order/deposit for a GTS on April 9th. I found out a few weeks ago that my build will happen in October and I should have the vehicle in November. If no delays, that would make it around 7-8 months.
No adm? Pretty good deal imo.

tayCanadian

First Name
Amit
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Cayenne Coupe E-Hybrid (RIP), 2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
Yes, getting a GTS allocation in a couple of months at MSRP is great.
Ah! Was confused as I made no mention of price... but yeah, no additional. In fact, I got $1,000 off the MSRP. :rock:

gnop1950

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4s
Country flag
Clearly things have changed, but I put down a $1500 deposit for a Taycan 4S allocation on 25 October 2021 and received my car, after several delays, on 7 May 2022. My dealer was great, my SA promised MSRP and carried through with that promise (no written contract).

I doubt I could get the same deal today and sympathize with those having issues.

familyhauler

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (ordered)
Country flag
Placed a deposit in October 2021 for a CT 4S, or so I thought.

I gave up hope of getting one anytime soon but I finally got an email in early July that I got an allocation! The previously configured build code the advisor sent me wasn’t familiar, and after some digging I realized it was a 4CT.

The wait for a 4S would’ve been middle next year so I just went for it; still a little confused if my place on the wait list got mixed up. ETA is Friday after Thanksgiving, so will be 13 months if all goes well.

A little bummed that it’s not the 4S, but maybe a prudent decision to save on the car and speeding tickets given the economy.

Gwaihir

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
I’ve just kicked off with my dealer.
Placed my order for my GTS ST on launch in Nov ‘21, was advised numerous times I was 2nd in the queue.
Got a call today, all allocations have gone for the year we only had 2 GTS ST, you’re next!! Could be Jan ‘23 or Mar ‘23 allocation!
So somewhere along the line I got bumped down the list…as you can imagineI was not impressed!!:mad:
I was lucky, phoned the dealer on Nov 17 last year at 9:00am with the instruction “ place a dummy GTS ST order now and I will come in later and amend the spec’.” I was the first in the queue for an ST. Car is built and - should - be here 12th August, maybe. Unfortunately the second buyer on the list (apparently he called just 10 minutes later) has been told Q1 2023 delivery. So it does look like just the one GTS ST per dealership this year. Oh, and it is a ’23 model.

slothinker

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 (now sold), Toyota MR2, BMW 328i (now sold)
Country flag
No doubt I would have failed the (in)famous marshmallow test (https://www.simplypsychology.org/marshmallow-test.html). When I learned on this forum about uncertain and interminable waits for custom-built Taycans I realized that such an indefinite wait for something I badly wanted would pretty much ruined my year. Next best thing was to find a new Taycan on a showroom floor and buy it … which I did. The car didn't have everything I wanted but it had many things I wouldn't have ordered and am very glad I have.

My 2ç worth.
Sponsored