Kind of feeling screwed over. Placed over in Dec 2021 and still no allocation

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan 4S Cross Turismo, '06 Club Coupe (#48)
Country flag
I can follow your logic, but in my case I fear that the more control I relinquish the less rapid my intervention would be in an emergency. I don't have Innodrive but plan to make the effort to experiment with the adaptive speed limiter, with the objective of saving myself from exceeding limits by a greater margin than intended (a few mph)- I've been caught out recently on a couple of unfamiliar roads due to an honest misunderstanding of the limit- but I'm also aware that the car's own sign recognition isn't fully reliable (e.g. completely misses a sign, or reads a sign for a connecting road).
That was my concern when I started with autopilot, BUT, if you are using it the right way (I.e., as a supplemental tool for active driving rather than as a replacement for active driving), I still think it is safer. If your attention is focused on environment, you might notice a wreck developing faster than if you were solely focused on the immediate foreground.

The other huge flaw with Porsche is that, unlike the audible warning in Tesla, the only thing to tell you that assistance has been shut off for whatever reason is that the icon goes from green to grey. That’s unreasonable.
Sponsored

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
I would not be prepared to pay an extra penny for the following :-
Glass roof
You would not be buying a Taycan CT if you lived in the USA since you have to pay for the glass roof here (included in the base price). Personally, I've always chosen solid roofs (on one occasion paid Porsche extra to take out a sunroof which came with a package), but no such choice exists today (or so I've been told). That said, with the last Tesla I bought I was also forced to get a glass roof, which I didn't like at first, but grew to like it (still have both the solid roof and glass roof Model S, either one works for me now). I did notice that some glass roofs (e.g. earlier Model S) were more noisy, but they fixed that problem in the later models (including the 2018 we got). I drove a few Taycans with the glass roof, no noise or heat issues, plus it has a benefit of extra headroom, so I'm fine with it now (in theory of course, my Taycan has been in "waiting for allocation" stage for over a year now).

Kayone73

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan CT4S, Kia Telluride EX, Tesla Model Y
Country flag
I placed a deposit for a taycan back in December of 2021. I was told that my car would be at my doorstep sometime this summer yet so far I haven't even recieved an allocation let alone a freeze date. For those who placed a deposit around the same time can you share your overall timelines? I am trying to figure out if my case is the exception or if this is happening to everyone. I know the global situations and accidents (felicity ace) have caused slowdowns but I wasn't expecting this drastic of a delay.

Thanks
Wow you were over promised a bit. Basically take everything with a huge grain of salt until you actually get a confirmed allocation with a commission number attached and then have an actual timeline you can track online (TYD).

Otherwise sad to say congrats you just gave your dealership a nice $5k interest free loan with nothing to currently show for it.

Kayone73

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Placed my deposit in nov 2021, still nothing, no order or allocation for a GTS ST
To be fair, getting a Sport Turismo GTS allocation in the US is HARD. I don't think Porsche is making too many of them available in the US since they know it's not a big sport wagon market.

BurntToast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1986 944 turbo and 2022 Taycan GTS (soon)
Country flag
In the US and placed an order for a GTS in late Dec 2021 and took delivery early July.

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
I know what you mean BUT I came to really like autopilot on Tesla after more than 6 years of using it. They key is that you should not view it as taking over for you: instead, it is just another driver control that you can use to actively drive.

In the Tesla, for example, I found that autopilot was fantastic for long road trips (eg, 10 hours). I would typically find a suitable lead, which for me was a semi-truck going 5-10 mph over the limit, turn on auto-pilot, and then focus my attention on real potential hazards rather than the typical noise (eg, micro corrections). I found that to be safer and I would be far less exhausted upon arrival. It really is a different way of driving.

What I don’t like about innodrive so far is that even if I set my speed at 10-15 mph over limit, as soon as we hit a new speed zone it takes me back to the limit, which is infuriating, and it slows you down for curves where no speed reduction is necessary (feels like granny mode). These actions create MORE work for me rather than less, and it actually distracts from paying attention to real potential risks. That said, I’m not convinced I am using it correctly yet.
I think that's the major difference. Location.
We don't tend to have journeys like that in the UK.

We are either on motorways (congested), major A roads (plenty of junctions stop/start) or winding country lanes (narrow, bendy).

We just don't have the roads where you are doing long, straight, monotonous journeys.

👍

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

We are either on motorways (congested), major A roads (plenty of junctions stop/start) or winding country lanes (narrow, bendy).

We just don't have the roads where you are doing long, straight, monotonous journeys.

👍
True enough, but join me some day on road-trips from Moab and Arches down to Antelope Canyon and you might struggle with the monotonous bit. ;)

Porsche Taycan Kind of feeling screwed over. Placed over in Dec 2021 and still no allocation 88A0391D-D522-4B03-82F8-D9D686821214

Porsche Taycan Kind of feeling screwed over. Placed over in Dec 2021 and still no allocation 7D2FE235-7940-4392-B978-D69797DAC0CC

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
That’s basically the entire Midwest.

I was on a road the other today that had a turn in it and almost forgot what to do.

Edit: and no scenery like @TDinDC. Unless you like corn. Which…I guess I do. Just not as scenery.

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

I was on a road the other today that had a turn in it and almost forgot what to do.

Edit: and no scenery like @TDinDC. Unless you like corn. Which…I guess I do. Just not as scenery.
The Midwest just requires a more highly developed and subtle sense for beauty! ;)

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag

This is Hardknott Pass in the Lake District....about an hours drive away.
Probably best not to sit back and go to sleep and let automation do its thing. 🤔

Porsche Taycan Kind of feeling screwed over. Placed over in Dec 2021 and still no allocation hardknott-1000-2960

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

👍
On a more serious note, I watched the video by the whisperer last night and caught that you can turn off auto speed adjustment, so that might help make PID more useful.

At this point, it is helpful on highways but not ready for prime time in urban environments, which is why so many people rightly question its usefulness. But I think it will be hugely useful for safety eventually: it simply frees your attention up to focus on what counts.

Driving is such an interesting endeavor with a flood of inputs. As you get tired (or overwhelmed) your range of focus and ability to process inputs shrinks dramatically.

I remember during my first proper race, I became completely overwhelmed with sensory overload at the beginning of the race. It’s one thing to drive a track on a track day. It’s another to be part of a rolling start with 80 proper race cars (ie, ear-splitting loud) at full throttle and trying to jockey for position. I couldn’t hear my own engine, and at one point, my car started to buck, and I thought to myself “what in God’s name” till I realized that in all of the chaos, I had simply forgotten to shift. :). The first corner was also overwhelming chaos with two crashes, dust blocking vision because cars had gone off. Wahnsinn! Welcome to VIR. After a few years of racing, so much of that was so automatic to me that in those same situations, I was able to see so much more (like seeing with peripheral vision that the @sshole next to me bought new gloves since the last race) which is so much safer. I have often wondered whether that Impact on your focus that experiencing sensory overload has is what those with autism experience.

In any event, if tools like PID can improve, they will make us all much better active drivers because they will allow us to focus our attention on what really matters

Last edited:

TaycanHero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan GTS Sport Turismo (2023)
Country flag
Probably best not to sit back and go to sleep and let automation do its thing. 🤔

hardknott-1000-2960.jpg
Incredible. Planning a trip there in a few weeks for some speed hiking fun. Google mapping that road.

I should have an i-pace by then, if not I currently have an ID4 Pro, which I should hate as it's an SUV, but it's surprisingly fun to drive.

Road trips, drivers roads and hiking. My favourite hobby!

friskygeek

First Name
faisal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 GTS ST (on order), '22 Macan, Cirrus SR22
Country flag
I placed an order / got in line for a GTS ST allocaiton in May 2022. Last week I got a phone call from one of them saying that they have an GTS sedan allocation for me if I want one. I passed. But now Im wondering if I should've taken it... (Its gone now).

Oh well, Id rather wait for the car I want.
f.
Well, hallelujah! I just got the call yesterday that my GTS ST allocation came in! Now to finalize the build ...

f.

Kayone73

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

hardknott-1000-2960.jpg
Try driving 14 hrs in a CONTINUOUS STRAIGHT LINE on interstate 80 (a very used route during cross country American road trips) thru the state of Nebraska alone (I did this on a moving trip from the east to west coast and it was horribly boring).

It is monotonous and hypnotic to the point of being dangerous. This is where autopilot type drive assist systems are excellent.

The moral of the story is: don't judge the value of highway drivers assist systems in cars just because their use case context is limited in your own country. It's a much bigger world out there than the UK and Europe.

Last edited:

TaycanHero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan GTS Sport Turismo (2023)
Country flag
Try driving 14 hrs in a CONTINUOUS STRAIGHT LINE on interstate 80 (a very used route during cross country American road trips) thru the state of Nebraska alone (I did this on a moving trip from the east to west coast and it was horribly boring).

It is monotonous and hypnotic to the point of being dangerous. This is where autopilot type drive assist systems are excellent.

The moral of the story is: don't judge the value of highway drivers assist systems in cars just because their use case context is limited in your own country. It's a much bigger world out there than the UK and Europe.
He was acknowledging that and making a witty comment.

UK drivers are incredibly unlikely to be driving their cars on roads equivalent to what you find in the US. Perhaps the German Autobahn within a reasonable road trip distance.

The only roads that are comparable in my experience are in Africa. There you can drive at over 100mph for 30-40 minutes straight (middle of nowhere so no speed cameras), no other traffic and roads similar to what you so perfectly describe in Nebraska: vast continuous straight lines that are monotonous and hypnotic to the point of being dangerous.

However, Africa is quite some distance to drive and many countries on the way to South Africa you probably wouldn't want to drive through in £100k+ sports car!

Sponsored