Kind of feeling screwed over. Placed over in Dec 2021 and still no allocation

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan 4S Cross Turismo, '06 Club Coupe (#48)
Country flag
He was acknowledging that and making a witty comment.

UK drivers are incredibly unlikely to be driving their cars on roads equivalent to what you find in the US. Perhaps the German Autobahn within a reasonable road trip distance.

The only roads that are comparable in my experience are in Africa. There you can drive at over 100mph for 30-40 minutes straight (middle of nowhere so no speed cameras), no other traffic and roads similar to what you so perfectly describe in Nebraska: vast continuous straight lines that are monotonous and hypnotic to the point of being dangerous.

However, Africa is quite some distance to drive and many countries on the way to South Africa you probably wouldn't want to drive through in £100k+ sports car!

This is no contest! My goal is try drive the best places in every country and share a drink with those I meet along the way (but driving first of course ;) ). I will say to my fellow countrymen, jeez, stop with the the "My drives are much more boring" comments! We have an image to uphold! I'm doing my part. Help me out a bit! Why not focus on the lusciously beautiful cattle and sheep that can be counted along the way, not to mention the amber waves of grain with hardly a cloud in the sky!!:cool:
Sponsored

Kayone73

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan CT4S, Kia Telluride EX, Tesla Model Y
Country flag
He was acknowledging that and making a witty comment.

UK drivers are incredibly unlikely to be driving their cars on roads equivalent to what you find in the US. Perhaps the German Autobahn within a reasonable road trip distance.

The only roads that are comparable in my experience are in Africa. There you can drive at over 100mph for 30-40 minutes straight (middle of nowhere so no speed cameras), no other traffic and roads similar to what you so perfectly describe in Nebraska: vast continuous straight lines that are monotonous and hypnotic to the point of being dangerous.

However, Africa is quite some distance to drive and many countries on the way to South Africa you probably wouldn't want to drive through in £100k+ sports car!
Even in lovely sunny California where I live (full of BOTH long straight freeways and gorgeous fun to drive mountain roads) you can still easily drive a 3 hr straight line stretch from the drive between LA and SF or to Las Vegas, Mammoth Lakes, etc.

In those relatively shorter stretches of highway drives plenty of Porsche owners do their road trips to these destinations, and again... not a lot of raw drivers engagement to be had in these cases. Highway driving assist systems are great for both safety and convinience.

The 14 hr stretch in Nebraska is an extreme case but even a few hrs can make the difference between falling asleep at the wheel (especially at night driving) and an accident. There's no need to drive all the way to Africa to have to experience this.

TaycanHero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan GTS Sport Turismo (2023)
Country flag
This is no contest! My goal is try drive the best places in every country and share a drink with those I meet along the way (but driving first of course ;) ). I will say to my fellow countrymen, jeez, stop with the the "My drives are much more boring" comments! We have an image to uphold! I'm doing my part. Help me out a bit! Why not focus on the lusciously beautiful cattle and sheep that can be counted along the way, not to mention the amber waves of grain with hardly a cloud in the sky!!:cool:
You would love South Africa, especially the epic day drive I planned in a V6 Jag F-Type. Had an incredible day.

Bainskloof Pass > Franschoek Pass > down to Betty's Bay (hug the coast) > into Muizenberg > head south to Cape Town but swing west to Misty Cliffs > drive all the way up Chapman's Peak drive into central Cape Town.

Wiggle rentals, located in the centre of the city, is luxury cars only. Surprisingly "affordable". Limited by mileage so negotiate a 450km+ allowance. Price should still be reasonable.

The roads are just designed to drive fast. Lots of long straight roads with traffic lights, and not much traffic, so you can easily blast off (to the speed limit, of course) and really slam your head into the headrest!

Highly recommended as is much of SA, including Sabi Sands for a lux safari. Absolutely loved it out there, planning on going back for three months in Jan.

TaycanHero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Even in lovely sunny California where I live (full of BOTH long straight freeways and gorgeous fun to drive mountain roads) you can still easily drive a 3 hr straight line stretch from the drive between LA and SF or to Las Vegas, Mammoth Lakes, etc.

In those relatively shorter stretches of highway drives plenty of Porsche owners do their road trips to these destinations, and again... not a lot of raw drivers engagement to be had in these cases. Highway driving assist systems are great for both safety and convinience.

The 14 hr stretch in Nebraska is an extreme case but even a few hrs can make the difference between falling asleep at the wheel (especially at night driving) and an accident. There's no need to drive all the way to Africa to have to experience this.
Totally, I think more likely us Brits will holiday in the States or elsewhere and hire something half decent for long drives.

That is where cruise control will come in very useful.

Sadly it isn't a feature in our Porsche Taycan's that will get much use with such absurdly busy roads and no long stretches of continuous, straight motorways.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
This is Hardknott Pass in the Lake District....about an hours drive away.
Probably best not to sit back and go to sleep and let automation do its thing. 🤔

hardknott-1000-2960.jpg
I sometimes drove that in a Lotus Elan in the late 1960s. Before the M6 went any where near that far north, it was a fair trek from the Fylde where I was brought up.
Not sure I’d enjoy it in a car as big as the Taycan, the Elan is tiny and weighed under 700kg.

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
I sometimes drove that in a Lotus Elan in the late 1960s. Before the M6 went any where near that far north, it was a fair trek from the Fylde where I was brought up.
Not sure I’d enjoy it in a car as big as the Taycan, the Elan is tiny and weighed under 700kg.
The Taycan's fun on such roads IF you can see far enough ahead- today I tried the B-road from Richmond to Kirkby Stephen, around 20 miles but took an eternity and I couldn't even enjoy the scenery as I was constantly looking out for cyclists, sheep and oncoming vehicles. I'm seriously considering getting just the passenger side PPF'd because of the amount of overgrown hedgerow I end up brushing against.
On further reflection re the huge weight- even when there is visibility, a particularly undulating A- road today had my dashcam beeping away autosaving footage on crests and in dips because the vertical motion sensor was thinking it was in an accident (I'm happy to report that the car itself maintained traction undramatically).

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
The moral of the story is: don't judge the value of highway drivers assist systems in cars just because their use case context is limited in your own country. It's a much bigger world out there than the UK and Europe.
Errrr.......I think we actually agree, but I don't think you read the entire thread to get the context of my post before jumping in and ranting about me thinking the world ends in the UK / Europe.

In fact that's quite ironic.

Muu

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Early Feb order for GTS ST, #8 on the list at the dealer, but only one car allocated this year.

However I'm not expecting it until march 2023 anyway, and that works with the house renovation I'm doing.

EVGuy101

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
I placed an order for a GTS ST in March 2022 was told 18 months.

I had not heard anything until last week when I received an email saying they hope to have allocation in 2023.

I had a etron GT, that's being changed for a RS GT in the next few weeks. I'm at the point now that I may flip my deposit to a 911 Targa GTS, and keep the RS GT.
I have heard some rumours that customer builds on the GTS ST don’t even start until Q4 2023 which would explain why there are zero allocations coming thru - this is UK specific however.

it’s a crap situation - make a car available to order but don’t even think about building it for 2 years - all the while applying price increases etc. Not sure I really understand the thinking on this one.

Im very close to ditching my order (placed in Feb this year) and looking elsewhere - but then I look at the Taycan and tell myself to be patient!!!

Bakus

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi GT
Country flag
I have heard some rumours that customer builds on the GTS ST don’t even start until Q4 2023 which would explain why there are zero allocations coming thru - this is UK specific however.

it’s a crap situation - make a car available to order but don’t even think about building it for 2 years - all the while applying price increases etc. Not sure I really understand the thinking on this one.

Im very close to ditching my order (placed in Feb this year) and looking elsewhere - but then I look at the Taycan and tell myself to be patient!!!
I think a lot of people may do the same, if that is true we will move up the list. My RS was built 3 weeks ago should have been in the UK in plenty of time for a Sept registration.

Was messaged last week and even though built it will be delayed until November for some reason unknown to the dealer. Probably missing some parts.

I stupidly sold my non RS GT 5 weeks ago thinking I could just use my wife's car but that's not sustainable.

Had to buy another car this week to see me through to November. Bought a S4 Cab, if I get on with it I will cancel my GTS ST order and move the deposit to a GTS Targa.

The good thing about Audi is they price lock at point of order so you feel the pain is somewhat shared of delays.

TaycanHero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

That could be clever propaganda for someone waiting on a GTS ST, expecting people will hear, rumours will spread and then everyone starts cancelling... Bumping them up the list.

If production doesn't start until Q4 2023, when the car was announced Q4 2021, even with the supply chain issues, that seems absurd. It is true that an order placed today for a GTS ST will see an 18+ month wait: 2024 delivery time. That specific model also has the longest lead time.

For those who ordered between Nov 21-Mar 22, and so should expect their cars H1 2023, countless other marques would have announced their EVs equivalent to the Taycan, or genuine sports cars, by end of 2023, which will only accelerate cancellations by that point.

Based on Porsche being the most profitable car company on the planet, I seriously doubt they would not have foreseen that scenario.

I am expecting a flurry of allocations Q4 and Q1, not least with recession biting. Porsche want paying customers to keep their shareholders happy, so they will rush out cars to customers waiting 8+ months for an allocation before any economic downturn also sees orders cancelled.

G7SUM

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST 2023
Country flag

This is correct. Solihull has 30+ GTS ST's on order now. Only 4 coming in 2022. 1 a month from September ( if lucky) as i'm 12 on the list ordering early Jan 2022, this makes it next August for me approx.

G7SUM

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST 2023
Country flag
That could be clever propaganda for someone waiting on a GTS ST, expecting people will hear, rumours will spread and then everyone starts cancelling... Bumping them up the list.

If production doesn't start until Q4 2023, when the car was announced Q4 2021, even with the supply chain issues, that seems absurd. It is true that an order placed today for a GTS ST will see an 18+ month wait: 2024 delivery time. That specific model also has the longest lead time.

For those who ordered between Nov 21-Mar 22, and so should expect their cars H1 2023, countless other marques would have announced their EVs equivalent to the Taycan, or genuine sports cars, by end of 2023, which will only accelerate cancellations by that point.

Based on Porsche being the most profitable car company on the planet, I seriously doubt they would not have foreseen that scenario.

I am expecting a flurry of allocations Q4 and Q1, not least with recession biting. Porsche want paying customers to keep their shareholders happy, so they will rush out cars to customers waiting 8+ months for an allocation before any economic downturn also sees orders cancelled.
I really hope you are correct with this but i seriously have my doubts. I have made contact with a senior Porsche UK exec who advised that a GTS ST ordered today will be 2 years as a conservative estimate.

TaycanHero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I really hope you are correct with this but i seriously have my doubts. I have made contact with a senior Porsche UK exec who advised that a GTS ST ordered today will be 2 years as a conservative estimate.
Did they give an idea of expected lead times for us, where we basically have twin orders - same model, same order date, practically same position on the list as well?!

If it does stretch into 2024, then I probably will cancel. I'm seeing my dealer end of this month, and I will be asking him about allocations, and the Cayman EV.

Considering getting in early for the latter, and also keeping an eye out for the inevitable Mercedes AMG GT EV.

If I had the choice of all three right this moment, there is no way in hell I would have ordered the Taycan.

If it means waiting 12 months for either of the two-seater EVs by the time the Taycan arrives, then little point even owning one.

Failing all of this I will just buy a V6 F-Type convertible. It's the only ICE car that excites me as much as anything in EV land.
Sponsored