batteredhaddock

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT since 8th April 22
Country flag
Gutted, roof gone. Nothing at all on exterior glass , not a mark or chip but inside cracked. Hopefully doesn’t cause any exterior issues on 50 mile drive home but taken a lot of photos and videos. Nowhere to garage it so need to ensure water tight till dealer open again on Tuesday 😢. Three years of a large panoramic on the iPace and no issue.

Porsche Taycan Lasted 9 days (Panoramic roof) 6B1EE59D-B946-4B22-BE87-AA4F5208C265

Porsche Taycan Lasted 9 days (Panoramic roof) D8CA9B72-F8C5-496E-B9BE-2A6BEB3F11B0

WattTurbo

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 C2S, Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Gutted, roof gone. Nothing at all on exterior glass , not a mark or chip but inside cracked. Hopefully doesn’t cause any exterior issues on 50 mile drive home but taken a lot of photos and videos. Nowhere to garage it so need to ensure water tight till dealer open again on Tuesday 😢. Three years of a large panoramic on the iPace and no issue.

6B1EE59D-B946-4B22-BE87-AA4F5208C265.jpeg

D8CA9B72-F8C5-496E-B9BE-2A6BEB3F11B0.jpeg
Dang, sorry to hear…. Since it cracked so it’s not tempered glass like the side windows for safety reasons?

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
That's terrible.
Sorry to see this.
But rest assured, if it's on the inside part you'll be fine, no water will enter.
Even if it would, you can't do anything about it.
Good luck bro.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag

6B1EE59D-B946-4B22-BE87-AA4F5208C265.jpeg

D8CA9B72-F8C5-496E-B9BE-2A6BEB3F11B0.jpeg
Nightmare!

Others have had cracked rear window but I think this is a first on the forum.

Interested to know the likely cause when able.

OP
OP
batteredhaddock

batteredhaddock

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Just took it into my Porsche Centre (was an Easter bank holiday yesterday). Sales Manager and then Service tech both as baffled as myself. Both looked externally and saw nothing at all, asked if anything was visible inside...then "wow". Never seen anything like it. Very pleasant response from them to be honest, will update me on how long it will take to get a replacement. View was that it is ok to carry on driving as its only the inner laminate layer but will naturally keep a close eye on it. So long as that's the case then its not something I notice when driving.

Was the response I expected but naturally you can get yourself worried nonetheless over a long weekend. One of the UK FB forum members had heard an £8k fix price where there was actual damage to the roof... Imagine if it was the new chromatic one... 😬

BigBob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4S, Range Rover Sport
Country flag
Did they say anything about warranty cover?

OP
OP
batteredhaddock

batteredhaddock

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Did they say anything about warranty cover?
Yep, looking to do it as warranty as clearly not right and zero exterior glass damage (plus can see it has started at the edges so can't say it was someone randomly sitting on the top of the car, doing no exterior glass damage or bodywork damage...Don't think the Pigeons are that fat....). Will update if anything changes.

WattTurbo

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 C2S, Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Perhaps the frame twisted too much and caused that? Hopefully it’s not a structural issue like a broken weld spot.

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
Bit bizarre indeed - an original build defect perhaps? Frame twist would seem extreme but do you recall any particularly bad pot hole or road bump hits at some time prior to noticing it as perhaps a weird combination of timing re pot hole hit and then frame motion/twist just happened to initiate the failure? Def curious to hear what Porsche might determine the cause to be.

Very best of luck with a rapid fix and thankfully within warranty timeframe!

OP
OP
batteredhaddock

batteredhaddock

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Bit bizarre indeed - an original build defect perhaps? Frame twist would seem extreme but do you recall any particularly bad pot hole or road bump hits at some time prior to noticing it as perhaps a weird combination of timing re pot hole hit and then frame motion/twist just happened to initiate the failure? Def curious to hear what Porsche might determine the cause to be.

Very best of luck with a rapid fix and thankfully within warranty timeframe!
No, no bumps at all. One of the reasons was happy to stay CT vs ST was knowing the state of the roads, particularly non motorway in the UK and naturally very conscious don't want the wheels damaged. Driving has been relatively sedate so far, wanted to be gentle on the tyres for first 500km as per some suggestions on the forum, been chauffeuring my parents about as were over in UK for a fortnight (in their 70s...you won't speed will you...its a fast car etc etc 😆).

Dealer called and already on order on warranty, initially the system is saying it could be due next week though they are getting that validated. I don't expect it to come that soon either.

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
No, no bumps at all. One of the reasons was happy to stay CT vs ST was knowing the state of the roads, particularly non motorway in the UK and naturally very conscious don't want the wheels damaged. Driving has been relatively sedate so far, wanted to be gentle on the tyres for first 500km as per some suggestions on the forum, been chauffeuring my parents about as were over in UK for a fortnight (in their 70s...you won't speed will you...its a fast car etc etc 😆).

Dealer called and already on order on warranty, initially the system is saying it could be due next week though they are getting that validated. I don't expect it to come that soon either.
Good to know as I'd hate to think such vibrations/hits would cause this.

I remember bringing my mother then in her 80's (she's still going at 92 in Ireland) on a motorbike ride when we did over a ton and only told her after the fact - she just gave me a big grin and asked to go again! Must be in the blood :)

OP
OP
batteredhaddock

batteredhaddock

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Good to know as I'd hate to think such vibrations/hits would cause this.

I remember bringing my mother then in her 80's (she's still going at 92 in Ireland) on a motorbike ride when we did over a ton and only told her after the fact - she just gave me a big grin and asked to go again! Must be in the blood :)
I always remember my mother going well over the limit when she was driving... alas if it's me driving then the speedo may as well be made of mice and she's the falcon...
Sponsored