trogger

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Golf R; Taycan wannabe (4S CT on order)
Country flag
I just ordered a CT4S, which will arrive late July or early Aug. I will get Xpel PPF on the front only, and possibly ceramic on the whole thing.

When I got a quote from the detailer, they said I should get a film on the panoramic roof to prevent stone chips. Is this something anyone has had? Or has anyone had any damage to their roof?

Other opinions on PPF, ceramic, etc welcome. Likely will not do the whole car, but otherwise open to thoughts!
Sponsored

Kev946

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS ST, VW EOS, 71 & 72 VW Camper
Country flag
I'm getting a full Xpel PPF and same on the Pano roof. I'm also having windscreen protection film. Be careful who you use. I have had issues with the installer.

TaycanCook

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MG 4S CT
Country flag
I just ordered a CT4S, which will arrive late July or early Aug. I will get Xpel PPF on the front only, and possibly ceramic on the whole thing.

When I got a quote from the detailer, they said I should get a film on the panoramic roof to prevent stone chips. Is this something anyone has had? Or has anyone had any damage to their roof?

Other opinions on PPF, ceramic, etc welcome. Likely will not do the whole car, but otherwise open to thoughts!
A few folks have gotten stone chips on the roof as reported on here. I imagine it is far from common. A roof repair is very expensive. 3k for the glass plus labor if it were to require replacement.

tayCanadian

First Name
Amit
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Cayenne Coupe E-Hybrid (RIP), 2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
Look up Exoshield windshield protection. It is a protection film for windshields and you can probably put this on your panorama roof too.

NewPdude

First Name
Rhett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M440i
Country flag
Look up Exoshield windshield protection. It is a protection film for windshields and you can probably put this on your panorama roof too.
After reading this I called a few certified exoshield installers here in the Phoenix area and they said they’ve never done a pano roof before and one said (after viewing pics) the curvature of the roof could make it very challenging… curious to see if anyone has actually done this…??

tayCanadian

First Name
Amit
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Cayenne Coupe E-Hybrid (RIP), 2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
After reading this I called a few certified exoshield installers here in the Phoenix area and they said they’ve never done a pano roof before and one said (after viewing pics) the curvature of the roof could make it very challenging… curious to see if anyone has actually done this…??
Very strange. A windshield is curved too. Why can it be done, but not the roof?

NewPdude

First Name
Rhett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M440i
Country flag
My thoughts exactly…!! He said he’s going to pose the question to a trade organization he belongs to and will get back to me. Will let you know if you would like…

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
I have ordinary Xpel PPF on my Pano roof, and that has had some hits by dirt and gravel. Kept up nicely and no problems at all to install.

Maybe Exoshield is less flexible?

STLLTH

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4; Tesla Model 3 Performance
Country flag
This seems like an up-sale scare tactic. I'm not saying it's not possible to get a rock chip on the glass roof but that is not even a full percentage point of all the Taycan's on the road IMHO. I would consider the windshield if you are in area with bad roads and debris everywhere (Hawaii roads are not great). I get more dings on the front end of my car and haven't seen the slightest instance where an object was going to strike my roof unless I was driving right being a dump truck loaded with gravel.

Your money your car.

lcarron

First Name
Laurent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cross Turismo 4S
Country flag
I'm getting a full Xpel PPF and same on the Pano roof. I'm also having windscreen protection film. Be careful who you use. I have had issues with the installer.
I think you can safe a bit by not doing the roof. This is glass and very scratch resistant.

Kev946

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS ST, VW EOS, 71 & 72 VW Camper
Country flag
I think you can safe a bit by not doing the roof. This is glass and very scratch resistant.
I’m getting this free anyway and might save the odd chip.

Asu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nothing
Country flag
When I took mine for Ppf last yr n ask bout putting protective film on the roof. He gave me idk look , I’m in az too

Dave777

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1982 911SC, 997C4S, Cayenne, 2022 CT4
Country flag
Just had a rock chip repair done on my pano roof. A lot of glass repair places think it is tempered glass and cannot be repaired. This is incorrect. It is basically like the windshield ; a multilayered laminate construction with a polyvinyl middle layer. How I got the chip is a mystery, but you can see from the pics it had already started a crack. Injection repair was $75 and virtually impossible to see ..it makes me consider ppf in future?

Porsche Taycan Latest on PPF FE9B3C49-5CAA-4D5E-A3E4-4AC3C9A38550

Porsche Taycan Latest on PPF C1BF9921-FFBC-4D8A-822E-D4BFDB0EB3F7

Porsche Taycan Latest on PPF 043EAB2E-D5E6-464A-B819-0958238EEB00

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
If you're unlucky enough to suffer an impact that's hard enough to crack a pano roof, would PPF make any difference?
I got my doors PPF'd because I often drive on narrow country lanes bordered by overgrown hedgerow (which I usually need to pull in towards to pass oncoming vehicles)- that has the added benefit of some protection from door dings from careless people in car parks.

RAHRCR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Panamera Sport Turismo 4S
Country flag
For most people, I would recommend to PPF entire front of the car only and ceramic coat the rest. I did the entire car even though the benefits are not significant.

Note: I did not get the windshield film done. My installer would not do it because his experience is that they dont hold up to Northeast US winters.
Sponsored