Tooney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
After reading details of the update procedures linked here , I think the people who developed this update process work in offices, not auto repair shops. It is not a smooth, easily followed, goof-proof process where the tech plugs in the car to a computer and waits for software to update.
The Taycan's systems may operate well, but design for maintainability in the field is sh*t.
Sponsored

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
After reading details of the update procedures linked here , I think the people who developed this update process work in offices, not auto repair shops. It is not a smooth, easily followed, goof-proof process where the tech plugs in the car to a computer and waits for software to update.
The Taycan's systems may operate well, but design for maintainability in the field is sh*t.
I think the underlying issue is more that the updates are generally unattended and are periodically checked once in progress given the draw on resource and bottle neck this would cause.

I know for a fact that as this is warranty work that Porsche AG determine the amount of labour time that they will be paid for which is typically well short of the time taken to apply a major update. The last major recall (1 day) prior to the current campaign only provided 1.25 hours (up to the dealer to spend more time but at their cost).

Bella

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4 CT, Prius
Country flag
I think the underlying issue is more that the updates are generally unattended and are periodically checked once in progress given the draw on resource and bottle neck this would cause.

I know for a fact that as this is warranty work that Porsche AG determine the amount of labour time that they will be paid for which is typically well short of the time taken to apply a major update. The last major recall (1 day) prior to the current campaign only provided 1.25 hours (up to the dealer to spend more time but at their cost).
As usual on a Forum people who have had no issues with the update don’t respond. My Car took one day as there was no backup of other Cars being updated.

Rona

First Name
Rona
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan - Cayenne
Country flag
I’ve just booked my car for the VR19.0.1. Upgrade - I’m hoping it will help me get past 204 mile range as that’s the most I’ve ever had!

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
As usual on a Forum people who have had no issues with the update don’t respond. My Car took one day as there was no backup of other Cars being updated.
Indeed and think everyone with an MY20 / MY21 (where a much larger update is applied) will likely have to spend longer having their update applied and will invariably have more issues. MY22s would have had a very small update I'd expect.

Also worth pointing out that depending on what options the vehicle is fitted with will also add / reduce time taken.

I thought I had no issues until several days later so like all things it will take a while for this to shake out for most people.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I’ve just booked my car for the VR19.0.1. Upgrade - I’m hoping it will help me get past 204 mile range as that’s the most I’ve ever had!
Aha - range, what battery do you have PB or PB+ and typically what's your driving style (be honest!)?

Eleven2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan RWD, 2021 Macan S
Country flag
Got my 22 RWD done in 4 hours. Dealer said with cars color pcm are faster. Older ones are averging 2-3 days.

Had the car for 2 weeks now. Has anyone noticed the car with air spring is softer on normal mode ? I feel more up and down movement now.

Also I'm getting 28.9 KWh/100mil vs 29.5 before the update on the same commute route.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Got my 22 RWD done in 4 hours. Dealer said with cars color pcm are faster. Older ones are averging 2-3 days.

Had the car for 2 weeks now. Has anyone noticed the car with air spring is softer on normal mode ? I feel more up and down movement now.

Also I'm getting 28.9 KWh/100mil vs 29.5 before the update on the same commute route.
Not noticed any suspension difference although my Smart Lift function stopped working for a few days and is now working again.

PIRM control is still missing from the menu but is operational.

PDACPA

First Name
PDA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan RWD, 1989 911 Carrera
Country flag

I spoke to one of the techs when I dropped my car. He confirmed the same thing you are saying. They are not paid for the entire time it takes to complete the update. Thus they cannot monitor it the whole time. The car gets hooked up for the update, but Porsche AG does not pay the dealer for the tech to sit there and watch and babysit the update. The tech goes and works on another car and comes back periodically to check on the progress. So if an issue happens, it can require them to start over.

He did tell me that there were a number of changes to the process for the update that have been happening since they started doing updates. I forgot what he called the system, but some does require the connection to Germany and then part is the equipment in house. He said they are constantly updating it and it has gotten better.

KensingtonPark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S; 2023 Audi eTron S Sportbck
Country flag
I personally find the weirdest change is the tone/pitch of the proximity alerts while parking. It appears to be a change to distinguish between the type of alert (front/back vs. left/right), but it was certainly not something that I expected to change.

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
Got car back - mine a max optioned vehicle and cannot find a single issue after uPdate complete. Everything AOK and no reloading in or repairing of phone etc - nothing.

There was some eye candy (mega money!!) on the showroom floor including the more std Porsche bike rack for their SUV tow hitches.

Even the Android Auto feature working (did not test as an Apple user)
Porsche Taycan Latest Taycan Software Update Findings and Reviews Thread IMG_6884

How hard would it be to add a pop-up color editor to change the vehicle to your car's actual color??

Porsche Taycan Latest Taycan Software Update Findings and Reviews Thread IMG_6886

Porsche Taycan Latest Taycan Software Update Findings and Reviews Thread IMG_6874

Porsche Taycan Latest Taycan Software Update Findings and Reviews Thread IMG_6876

I think it the tractor is pulling ahead ;)

Porsche Taycan Latest Taycan Software Update Findings and Reviews Thread IMG_6877

Porsche Taycan Latest Taycan Software Update Findings and Reviews Thread IMG_6878

Porsche Taycan Latest Taycan Software Update Findings and Reviews Thread IMG_6879

And here ye go - this knocked my socks off but I guess I'm just not plugged into things that cost this much :) - a PRE-OWNED vehicle that is selling for close to half a million dollars!

Porsche Taycan Latest Taycan Software Update Findings and Reviews Thread IMG_6875

Tow-hitch mounted bike carrier with their latest electric bike - slightly odd 'mossy' green colored car.

Porsche Taycan Latest Taycan Software Update Findings and Reviews Thread IMG_6880

Last edited:

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Got car back - mine a max optioned vehicle and cannot find a single issue after uPdate complete. Everything AOK and no reloading in or repairing of phone etc - nothing.

There was some eye candy (mega money!!) on the showroom floor including the more std Porsche bike rack for their SUV tow hitches.

Even the Android Auto feature working (did not test as an Apple user)
IMG_6884.jpeg

How hard would it be to add a pop-up color editor to change the vehicle to your car's actual color??

IMG_6886.jpeg

IMG_6874.jpeg

IMG_6876.jpeg

I think it the tractor is pulling ahead ;)

IMG_6877.jpeg

IMG_6878.jpeg

IMG_6879.jpeg

And here ye go - this knocked my socks off but I guess I'm just not plugged into things that cost this much :) It's a PRE-OWNED vehicle that is selling for close to half a million dollars!

IMG_6875.jpeg

Tow-hitch mounted bike carrier with their latest electric bike - slightly odd 'mossy' green colored car.

IMG_6880.jpeg
Tow hitch carrier - I have had one those for the past 6 years (Macan & Panamera) and because Porsche overlooked the hitch for the Taycan I can't use it.

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
Tow hitch carrier - I have had one those for the past 6 years (Macan & Panamera) and because Porsche overlooked the hitch for the Taycan I can't use it.
Indeed - frustrating - wanted to highlight as a better design imo than the OEM offering for the Taycan but TBH, I actually still prefer my custom setup (Will’s redesign).

Last edited:

tomdfw1

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Lamborghini Huracan Performante Spyder
Country flag
sounds like an over reaction to something that hasn't even happened yet.

its some color changes and a few things moved around, read the manual, or the release notes. its not that hard.
There were quite a few configuration changes that were changed that caused me a lot of grief (Auto Sync Charging, others). I wish I was told about this and they went over them with me instead of learning the hard way. (I had to use the Porsche app to charge...and also had to call Porsche to charge when app didn't work because they turned auto sync off) There were other things they turned off I forget now but someone should have told me.

So no, it's not just color changes.

stirthepot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche
Country flag
There were quite a few configuration changes that were changed that caused me a lot of grief (Auto Sync Charging, others). I wish I was told about this and they went over them with me instead of learning the hard way. (I had to use the Porsche app to charge...and also had to call Porsche to charge when app didn't work because they turned auto sync off) There were other things they turned off I forget now but someone should have told me.

So no, it's not just color changes.

so, guess you didnt read the manual. like i said, its not that hard
Sponsored