vdr

First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Maybe a Taycan...
Country flag
I have a Macan loaner, which is both a nice (slow) car and one I can never imagine buying.
I had to rent a NIssan Versa as my dealer had no loaners available. I'd be more than happy to trade for your Macan.. To that end the MyPorsche app shows my car accessible however locked with the windows closed. I'm assuming that after 28 hours they haven't even started this uPdate process with my vehicle yet so my time with this Versa may be a bit substantial...
Sponsored

• Sad
Reactions: B61

RingoDingo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I had to rent a NIssan Versa as my dealer had no loaners available. I'd be more than happy to trade for your Macan.. To that end the MyPorsche app shows my car accessible however locked with the windows closed. I'm assuming that after 28 hours they haven't even started this uPdate process with my vehicle yet so my time with this Versa may be a bit substantial...
Touche. I shan’t complain further.

mlambert890

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Why would anyone care if you can turn on the passenger display with no passenger? I like the passenger display on always...with or without passenger. Am I missing something?
In the US at least, the default behavior for the Passenger Display when no passenger is present is to either be off, or to go into “standby”, which displays the Taycan logo.

There was a fiddly work around to get the screen to stay on that had to be performed every drive, but felt like a clear bug to me (turn standby on, go into drive, go back into park, then turn standby off, then go)

With WNJ8 I’ve confirmed that this work around no longer works. We did get the new 2022 behavior though, which gives you the “media” option for standby that does look pretty cool.

Anyway, I made a vid of it on my 2020

tomdfw1

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Lamborghini Huracan Performante Spyder
Country flag
In the US at least, the default behavior for the Passenger Display when no passenger is present is to either be off, or to go into “standby”, which displays the Taycan logo.

There was a fiddly work around to get the screen to stay on that had to be performed every drive, but felt like a clear bug to me (turn standby on, go into drive, go back into park, then turn standby off, then go)

With WNJ8 I’ve confirmed that this work around no longer works. We did get the new 2022 behavior though, which gives you the “media” option for standby that does look pretty cool.

Anyway, I made a vid of it on my 2020
Thanks for sharing. I didn't know it wasn't available before '22 but I do love it on always and glad they didn't take it away from me.

mlambert890

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Thanks for sharing. I didn't know it wasn't available before '22 but I do love it on always and glad they didn't take it away from me.
When you say “always on” do you mean the media display, or are you able to keep the actual screen on, meaning it’s fully interactive and you can set to whatever you want (Map, cockpit, etc)?

With the work around we used to be able to keep it fully functional, without a passenger, when driving. I don’t see a way to do that in the 2022 software.

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
Thanks. I don’t think that CarPlay has lower audio quality, but rather that it consumes more data if you are relying on a cellular network. But of course that doesn’t matter unless you have data caps.
Wireless CarPlay has lower audio quality than USB wired CarPlay. Wireless is lossy and therefore not capable of playing lossless apple music (for example).

So if you were to stream Apple Music Lossless from your iPhone over a wireless CarPlay connection – then you would incur the overhead of larger lossless files over your cell connection but they would be downsampled using LC-AAC on the iPhone to get sent to the PCM headunit over wifi.

Now, I'm not saying the LC-AAC isn't a very good audio codec – it is. I'm just saying that Wired and Wireless CarPlay do not provide the same audio quality.

tomdfw1

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I did the same today, but was told the timeliness of its return depended on whether the software got kicked out after hour 4 or whatever, as it needs a continuous 6 hours to install.

I have a Macan loaner, which is both a nice (slow) car and one I can never imagine buying.

No, I made the first available appointment and took my car in yesterday morning. They've had it since, and I have no idea how its going except that MyPorsche says the car is in privacy mode. For the time being I'm driving their loaner base Macan, which has very comfortable seats but is also a car I would never buy.
A number of us received our car back still in Privacy mode. Be sure they/you disable that (Done from within PCM) when you get car. It needs to be deactivated for a number of things to work.

tomdfw1

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
When you say “always on” do you mean the media display, or are you able to keep the actual screen on, meaning it’s fully interactive and you can set to whatever you want (Map, cockpit, etc)?

With the work around we used to be able to keep it fully functional, without a passenger, when driving. I don’t see a way to do that in the 2022 software.
Yes - My '22 allows me to have FULL use of passenger screen at all times, with or without passenger. Always has. Why would they disable this?

RingoDingo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
A number of us received our car back still in Privacy mode. Be sure they/you disable that (Done from within PCM) when you get car. It needs to be deactivated for a number of things to work.
Thanks. Just got the car back now, 28 hours after it was originally dropped off. Not bad.

Reactions: B61

Chuck J

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Silver Taycan 4S, 2012 991 911 (sold), 1995 993 (Gave to son) 1965 356 (gave to son)
Country flag
Noone is really talking about the range or charging improvement so I'm assuming they are not very noticable.

Chuck J

OP
OP
DerekS

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
Noone is really talking about the range or charging improvement so I'm assuming they are not very noticable.
I think primarily the benefit is on AWD models. My RWD wouldn't see much, and I am still climbing out of a range-sinkhole from my trips to CA and Austin so I can't tell anyway.

andre-s

First Name
Andre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4
Country flag
Which dealer are you using in NJ?

andre-s

First Name
Andre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4
Country flag
I'm anxiously waiting my appointment for this update on 8/6, but can anyone confirm android auto will be wireless?
I think I saw the new function list say it was still wired. Unless I misread.
Android Auto is now wireless... My MY2022 had Android Auto Wired and after the update is now wireless. I had to delete the phone and add it again (easy) and then it already recognized. I was using a device to create a wireless connection before, so now it's night and day. So fast to connect and always available, no errors, etc.

mlambert890

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag

Chuck J
I noticed it immediately on the Turbo. I’d guess something like 10% improvement on highway, but need to put more miles and get real data to quantify

mlambert890

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Yes - My '22 allows me to have FULL use of passenger screen at all times, with or without passenger. Always has. Why would they disable this?
In the US at least this has never worked. I suspect the rationale is safety, but I’ve never gotten a definitive answer on that.

Are you in the EU/UK? I think it does differ by region. Default behavior is taking the car out of park immediately puts the screen into standby, or turns it off, and there is no setting to prevent that. Even the work around was more of a hack, not a setting that said “leave Passenger Display on at all times” or anything.
Sponsored