Launch Control Not Working

Zee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan4s
Country flag
Hey All.
Launch control is not working for me. Took it to dealership who told me they found a fault and software update has rectified it. Launch control was working fine for 24hours but it has stopped working again! Anyone with similar experience and/or know why this could be happening? Thanks
Sponsored

Rob_UK

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Hi want’s your battery state of charge and temperature?

arijaycomet

First Name
Ari
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan 4 Cross Turismo
Country flag
Your profile says you’re located in Manchester UK. Currently 1F 33F there. I’d say it is too cold. Launch will not engage under certain temps (who recalls what it is? 35F IIRC? Something like that). Beyond that you also need to be at a high enough state of charge, though I equally forget what that was (10%? 20%?)

Bottom line is that, in your case, I’m going to bet its the ambient temp that is preventing you from getting this to work.

OP
OP

Zee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan4s
Country flag
Battery was around 60percent. Not sure what the temperature was. I'm charging battery to 85perc overnight and il check tomorrow morning. Does the battery and temperature have to be above certain limit for launch control to work? Thanks

OP
OP

Zee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan4s
Country flag
Your profile says you’re located in Manchester UK. Currently 1F 33F there. I’d say it is too cold. Launch will not engage under certain temps (who recalls what it is? 35F IIRC? Something like that). Beyond that you also need to be at a high enough state of charge, though I equally forget what that was (10%? 20%?)

Bottom line is that, in your case, I’m going to bet its the ambient temp that is preventing you from getting this to work.
Thanks. Interesting, would be good to know if their is a minimum charge/batt temp it requires for launch control.

arijaycomet

First Name
Ari
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan 4 Cross Turismo
Country flag
Thanks. Interesting, would be good to know if their is a minimum charge/batt temp it requires for launch control.
I’ve only had my car for a month and haven;t had a chance to try launch control yet. So I’m not speaking from experience just from what reading here.

But from a few other threads i saw, it isnt the battery temp that is the issue its the ambient temp. Probably a safety feature, to ensure your tires can stick properly and not put you in a ditch. At least, that was my understanding ..

(read: your car needs to be at a high enough SOC, and the ambient outside temp needs to be over a threshold— but what those two thresholds are, i;m not certain — search these forums you may find the data)

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
Yes, if less than 20% or 10%, no more LC. Also in NORMAL mode, no LC. Such low temperatures, I cannot test.

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
It has to do with SOC and ambient temperature.
Not so much for ambient temperature as well as road temperature.
The car is equiped with ultra high responsive ASR/ESP (that's also an advantage of electric motors) but with these amounts of explosive torque, HP and weight it still can go wrong very quickly (remember the analog turbo era?).
At these temperatures (<3°C) the road usually can be unevenly slippery.
At least, that's my theory... :)

Last edited:

OP
OP

Zee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan4s
Country flag
Where does it show temperature of the battery? On the forum I have seen it's on the right but mine doesnt show, unless their is a setting I have to change?

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
Where does it show temperature of the battery? On the forum I have seen it's on the right but mine doesnt show, unless their is a setting I have to change?
You can change the settings.
Settings > displays > display settings > instrument cluster > customized view.

Rob_UK

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Exactly! Low soc = no LC. The thread goes in to detail on performance and battery temp and SoC. LC is the cars max performance so is a very relevant thread.

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I've had the car for a month and I just tried launch control last night. I was about 73% SoC and I was using Sport Plus, the very first launch control seemed a little sluggish take off but the second and third were spot-on. My two boys agreed, my older was quite impressed with how fast it could accelerate 5,000 lb.

Next time I get down to a low state of charge I will test it to see if I can enter launch control but I feel confident it would work down to 20% at least.
Sponsored