Launch control on 4S ?

BenJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Hi guys,

each time we see a launch control in action on a video, the driver uses a Turbo or Turbo S.
I’ve never seen a Launch Control on a 4S. All videos with a 4S is either on snow or on City.
Do Porsche are worried about this feeling on a 4s?
If my memory is good, the 4S (with the battery performance +) have more than 560 hp with launch control (<4 sec 0-60miles).
It’s not nothing !

Do you have a video about a launch control with a 4S?

What are thinking about that ?
Sponsored

Reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
It isn't up to Porsche as to what the reviewers cover.

Since all the early reviews were for the Turbo and the Turbo S, by the time the 4S came out there was no need to show launch control yet again (although I seem to remember 1 or 2 reviewers covering that). So they showed the 4S in the snow (something new) instead.

OP
OP
BenJL

BenJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Oh !
do you remember on which video we can see a launch control ?
I was pretty sure Porsche asked to journalists to not cover launch control on 4S...

OP
OP
BenJL

BenJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Yeah. And the snow reduces the effect of Launch control ...

That is why I suspect Porsche to did it on this way, in order to remove our capacity to compare these two models.

I hope I’m wrong.

Singularity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY 2020 Taycan 4S, MY 2022 Audi Q7 60 TFSIe
Country flag
There are reviews of 4S driven elsewhere than snow. Not sure about launch control use though. But in the reviews basically even if the person had driven Turbo models as well, the comment has been that you don't really need more power than what the 4S has. Turbo level power is more for showing off, I think.

But as far as the numbers go, launch control pretty much gives relatively the same level of boost compared to the car's regular power, than with the Turbo. With the Turbo S there is more boost though.

If one wants to find positives about the slower 4S, one is less possibility of a sore neck :) Launch controlling a Turbo S is pretty violent.

OP
OP
BenJL

BenJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Thank you a lot for your great post Singularity!
It’s true we don’t need that power but it’s always good to know how fun is our next car, especially on that launch.
Some people say it’s like taking off from an aircraft.

Singularity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thank you a lot for your great post Singularity!
It’s true we don’t need that power but it’s always good to know how fun is our next car, especially on that launch.
Some people say it’s like taking off from an aircraft.
My opinion on this is that if you're coming from ICE cars, 4S will be exotic enough with the instant torque of an EV. It'll feel different and refreshing. But if you're used to launching something like a Tesla S P100D, Turbo or Turbo S is probably recommended.

It's all about what you're used to. Compared to my current ICE car I'm confident the 4S will be quite impressive.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
It's all about what you're used to. Compared to my current ICE car I'm confident the 4S will be quite impressive.
My Audi A7 has 245 kW/306 HP and it feels always slow half the time even frustratingly slow. I am confident to say, that you will feel VERY impressed with your 4S. Before I ordered my 4S, I just checked, that it will perform better in every aspect than my current EV. Looking forward to see how much better...

Singularity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
My Audi A7 has 245 kW/306 HP and it feels always slow half the time even frustratingly slow. I am confident to say, that you will feel VERY impressed with your 4S. Before I ordered my 4S, I just checked, that it will perform better in every aspect than my current EV. Looking forward to see how much better...
Indeed, looking forward to it! Delivery for mine still stands for February, as it gets closer I'm getting more and more excited. As for the A7, mine has similar specs and to me it doesn't seem that slow, quite adequate in most situations. What is frustrating occasionally is the turbo lag which is quite pronounced in this car... once it gets moving, it moves, but the first part sometimes takes a bit of time. Taycan 4S will be outperforming it in any situation though, I will certainly write a review here when I get the car, and also compare it to my A7. The A7 will remain as our family's second car at least for now, as I do like the car.

Mission4S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Do you have a video about a launch control with a 4S?
This is a video in German with a 4S launching at 0:42 from zero to around 80 mph - I'm not sure if launch control is turned on or off during this video, but this is fast enough launch for my needs:

Last edited:

Mission4S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
... I'm not sure if launch control is turned on or off during this [4S] video, ...
It is very likely, that launch control on the 4S video was turned off, because the typical blue color scheme on the speedometer and the blue text launch control on top of the sport plus mode on the right control are both missing. You can compare the missing blue colors and the missing launch control text of the 4S video with the following video for a Turbo S launch control from 0 - 260 km/h (!!!) switching on 0:31 from regular colors to blue colors:

OP
OP
BenJL

BenJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
It’s true.
But if you ear all sounds, it seems there is a “tic” when he removes his feet from the brake pedal...

however, it’s true there is no blue circle. But maybe there is no blue circle on launch control on 4S ?

Moreover, are you sure the video is on mph and not on Km/h?

Mission4S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Moreover, are you sure the video is on mph and not on Km/h?
Yes - I am quite sure the 4S video is on mph. On 4:30 of the 4S video the driver explicitly says (in German) the 4S car is configured with miles instead of km. Later in the video he makes a couple of calculations to convert all visible data for the tested 4S car from miles to km.
In addition on very large screens showing the 4S video in full screen mode it is possible to see that the speedometer is in mph and not km/h.
Sponsored