Vim Schrotnock

First Name
Vim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTB1 Race Cayman, Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
My dealer has told me there will be greatly improved technology in the next two years, so I'd be better off with a lease than purchase. I tend to agree that this battery technology will improve significantly in two years, and I don't want to be driving a $250K dinosaur in 3 or 4 years (Yes, that's close to the price including tax, delivery etc...).

We've got quite a varied group of experience here. I've got great experience with the Panamera GTS (almost 100K miles), and I've got a lot of track experience in a variety of Porsches, so I can tell you all about that. Not much of this experience is doing me a lot of good with buying my first EV, so I'd be interested in others thoughts.

Will Porsche be offering some type of lease/trade-in program? I don't believe they can replace the batteries because they are part of the structure with some 1,000 welds etc. Will Porsche follow Tesla's model and start manufacturing their own batteries? What's the plan that people have in a few years when cars are getting 600 mile range and charging in 30 minutes?? ...and of course much quicker than the initial Turbo S.
Sponsored

charliemathilde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
My dealer has told me there will be greatly improved technology in the next two years, so I'd be better off with a lease than purchase. I tend to agree that this battery technology will improve significantly in two years, and I don't want to be driving a $250K dinosaur in 3 or 4 years (Yes, that's close to the price including tax, delivery etc...).

We've got quite a varied group of experience here. I've got great experience with the Panamera GTS (almost 100K miles), and I've got a lot of track experience in a variety of Porsches, so I can tell you all about that. Not much of this experience is doing me a lot of good with buying my first EV, so I'd be interested in others thoughts.

Will Porsche be offering some type of lease/trade-in program? I don't believe they can replace the batteries because they are part of the structure with some 1,000 welds etc. Will Porsche follow Tesla's model and start manufacturing their own batteries? What's the plan that people have in a few years when cars are getting 600 mile range and charging in 30 minutes?? ...and of course much quicker than the initial Turbo S.
The technology is changing quickly, but probably not 2 years quickly unless you count all the models competitors plan to ship. There will be a Macan EV as well. I am looking forward to seeing the Tesla roadster plans and the rumored Cayman EV although that’s likely further out. 3-5 years out, yeah, those taycan models will be considerably better. Such is life as an early adopter of the cutting edge. Driving a car most people won’t be able to get, regardless of money, because they are too back ordered is it’s own cachet

can’t say what it’s worth to you. Leasing seems like a fine plan for many folks

Rotordude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
7XPorsche’s, 3XGolf R/ GTI
Country flag
If value for $$$ is in your decision making, definitely lease, don’t buy!

My logic: treat these machines as pieces of tech ( a la iPhone, iPad...etc) rather than cars. These are not 918’s, Carrera gt’s, gt2 rs’s with similar price tags and greater. These are Porsche’s generation 1 of rapidly changing battery, electric motor technology.

If $$$ is no object and you just want the next coolest thing, go nuts and buy the highest spec’d Taycan/ fully loaded.

My $0.02

manitou202

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo S, Audi E-tron
Country flag
The technology is changing quickly, but probably not 2 years
I agree.

In the next two years I would expect a Tesla Model S refresh, the Audi Etron GT (basically the Audi version of the Taycan), and cars from Mercedes and BMW. The only one to compete on range and performance would be the Tesla. Tesla will remain the king of range for quite a while. But even the refreshed Model S (plaid version at the Nurburgring) may end up turning a faster lap time than the Taycan, but it's the old Corvette versus 911 debate. Certain Corvette models have been faster than 911's around a track for years at half the cost, but people buy 911's for the driving and Porsche experience.

There will also be a selection of electric SUV's from the German brands, Rivian, refreshed Model X, etc but I don't feel these compete with the Taycan.

I would expect the Gen 2 Taycan to be released in 4-5 years. Probably more range and better acceleration. But these differences won't be like Gen 1 Nissan Leaf with a terrible battery pack and only 70 miles of range, then Gen 2 having better looks, better battery, and 2X or 3X the range. Gen 2 Taycan may have 30-50 more miles of range, weight 200-400 lbs less, accelerate 0.2 seconds faster to 60 mph, be able to charge 5%-80% 5 minutes quicker, and a refreshed interior. A nice improvement, but not a giant leap.

Regardless leasing isn't a bad option. However, Porsche typically has terrible leasing rates in the US. So buying still may be the better option even if you had to finance part of it with such low interest rates.

EnjoyTheDrive

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 993, MB C63 AMG 507, S2000, Nissan GTR, Tesla M3P Track option, Volvo XC40, BMW E30 325IX, Subaru Forester XT, (Had owned Tesla 85, Tesla P90D)
Country flag
David, Good comments. I had not thought of the 911 vs. Corvette comparison, but you maybe correct. People who love Porsche’s will continue to buy Porsche. The same for Tesla, with some people crossing over. I think it is good for EV’s and will grow the overall adoption of EV’s more rapidly. We just need to see more ICE Manufacturer’s taking EV’s more seriously and actually put out a more competitive EV that looks like a car we would buy and not some fugly thing. I was looking at the newest BMW EV concepts and I think they are purposely putting out fugly to not distract from their ICE cars.

charliemathilde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Regardless leasing isn't a bad option. However, Porsche typically has terrible leasing rates in the US. So buying still may be the better option even if you had to finance part of it with such low interest rates.
yeah that’s a good point. Bank auto loan rates are low, and overall interest rates are very likely to be going down over the next year or two.

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
If you are waiting for the next step in development, you'll probably never buy an EV...
What's that with battery technology?
It's not a computer chip which will double it's performance every two year and cut cost in half (Moore's law).
Especially in battery tech, things go slowly and need normalisation.
Just be glad you don't have to choose between hydrogen and electric, it's obvious electric is where manufacturers put their money on, right?
Imagining you'll get stuck with a hydrogen car in about 5 years...
Besides, why wait and missing all the fun?

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
PS It's not like the first Nissan Leaf which had a really poor battery...

felixtb

First Name
felix
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche: Taycan R; Tesla: orig Roadster, X, new roadster reserved
Country flag
I lease! It’s just easier with EVs there is not just battery tech that can/will change (agreed quite slow change) but lots of other tech, like charging capacities and possibly induction charging and efficiencies that are discovered/worked out during the first few years of production. I will probably change my car in about two years. That’s what I’ve been doing with my Teslas. In this scenario a lease agreement is great since they usually like you even better when you keep on changing car.... :) at least my leasing company does!

Last edited:

charliemathilde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
If you are waiting for the next step in development, you'll probably never buy an EV...
What's that with battery technology?
It's not a computer chip which will double it's performance every two year and cut cost in half (Moore's law).
Especially in battery tech, things go slowly and need normalisation.
Just be glad you don't have to choose between hydrogen and electric, it's obvious electric is where manufacturers put their money on, right?
Imagining you'll get stuck with a hydrogen car in about 5 years...
Besides, why wait and missing all the fun?
the battery tech isn’t a computer, but it is improving. Porsche has talked about significant improvements by 2025. It won’t double, but a 20% improvement would be huge for range ... or cut off nearly 1000# in weight! It’s going to be a wild decade in the car world.

hydrogen. Lolz. What’s with Germany’s crazed investment here ?

yeah, waiting is very bad for fun.

gkellogg

First Name
Gregg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2006 Porsche CS Cab, 2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag

TheSnape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fiesta
Country flag
The BMW i4 actually looks pretty nice https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a28119924/bmw-i4-future-electric-car/. There will always be competition between the two manufacturers, but BMW is seriously behind the ball, with the i3 being off-target and the i8 a niche car.
https://www.motor1.com/news/347080/bmw-i4-ev-spy-shots/

This is the i4. Whilst this will by no means be the whole story and the camo will be hiding key details, I have to say I don't really think the proportions are sporting enough. Porsche Taycan's aerodynamics are helped massively by the low hood, I also really like the stance and proportions of Taycan - the way it looks like a sports car/supercar from some angles and I wish the i4 looked like a 4 door sports car as well (especially given it directly competes with the Taycan). That said, I do hope it takes some cues from the 4-series concept BMW presented at Frankfurt-minus the giant grille
Sponsored