f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
IME the leather on firmly padded seats gets far more wear on the "high spots" than on soft seats, probably for obvious reasons.
I noticed extra wear happening on seat bolsters on an older sprorts car which had stood up reasonably well over the years and it came down to me wearing a (licensed) salt water crocodile belt on my jeans. It had also marked my newer car and left a band of "pilled" wool on the inside of sweaters.
I really loved that belt but am cautious when I wear it now :(
Sponsored

Ross

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS - Audi Etron
Country flag
I always seem to quickly scratch leather steering wheels with a watch, key or fingernail. This leaves an annoying serration that you constantly feel because it stands out against the perfect smoothness of the rest of the wheel.
It’s impossible to sort out! I have tried.

There was a lot of talk and on this forum about the Race Tex wheel in the GTS.
Some talk implied that the Race Tex wheel was as fragile as toilet paper and would be a sweaty, matted, degraded mess after 2000 miles.

If you accidentally catch Race Tex with watch, key or fingernail it doesn’t cause a permanent defect. It’s also more resistant to sun damage.
Go Race Tex chaps! It’s tactile and lovely.
Leather OR Race Tex will be damaged by sweaty palms.
A pair of these cool baby’s will protect your wheel. 😎

Porsche Taycan Leather quality F9661AB2-284F-43C6-BA19-CA61E0F632E4

Jancha

First Name
Janis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 Cabrio (ex Taycan 4s+)
Country flag
22tkm. No issues. 100% of time used leather racing gloves. Hate sweaty hands on leather wheel :) with thermally insulated windows, no problem in summer. Occasionally cleaning with microfiber cloth and warm water (same for seats). Almost no marks of use. Basic leather interrior.

wurzitup

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan
Country flag
I've noticed the same exact thing as Ross above- the very smooth leather of the steering wheel scratches and mars very easily. Like he said, my watch has done it a couple of time, buttons, fingernails.
Almost like a nail buffing pad might help take it out......

Taycan2020

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover Vogue SE & Mercedes S-Class
Country flag
You mentioned you are cleaning a hands a lot - do you use alcohol hand gels or similar? Especially soon before you use the wheel? Could be possible the products you use for hand cleanse are degrading the leather if they are on your hands.

Just a thought.

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
You mentioned you are cleaning a hands a lot - do you use alcohol hand gels or similar? Especially soon before you use the wheel? Could be possible the products you use for hand cleanse are degrading the leather if they are on your hands.

Just a thought.
Or, some anti-covid spray?

OP
OP
Silveral

Silveral

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag

Just a thought.
Well in this day and age, after every store out comes the Purell. But I assume I am not alone. Not anymore the case now but for sure in the past months

darth_maul_80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4 , Taycan GTS
Country flag
Out of interest, what do people use to clean their steering wheel - and how often?

I once used the wrong product on a car many years ago and the wheel became shiny and slippery.

I don't intend to make that mistake again. It was very noticeable when driving down country lanes.

OP I will take a photo of mine when next in car. 7k miles only though.
I use swissvax or dr leather. Dr leather has some handy wipes which helps keeps seats clean when the kids decide to handprint them

TaycanHero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan GTS Sport Turismo (2023)
Country flag
I'm still waiting for the GTS neoprene interior.

It would be virtually indestructible. Waterproof too.

Luxury is always eye-of-the-beholder.

ThePaddyWan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Polestar 2, Maverick
Country flag
Zero issues for all leather surfaces so far with Olea leather. The car mainly parks in garages, I wipe in the interior down once in a while and we have a 'no finger food' rule in the car. No kids or dogs help too 😅

Reactions: B61
OP
OP
Silveral

Silveral

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Zero issues for all leather surfaces so far with Olea leather. The car mainly parks in garages, I wipe in the interior down once in a while and we have a 'no finger food' rule in the car. No kids or dogs help too 😅
Thanks, how many miles?
Sponsored