Leaving my Taycan for 6 months. Leave it plugged in or not?

OP
OP
IrwinJ

IrwinJ

First Name
Irwin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mercedes SL550
Country flag
so I'm just trying to get a clear course of action because some people say I should leave the charger for the main battery plugged in while I'm gone for 6 months, others say no but put the 12 V battery on a trickle charger for the 6 months, while others say no charger for either battery but make sure I deactivate internal monitoring and don't use my Porsche Connect app during the 6 months I'm gone.

I'm really stuck on this.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
so I'm just trying to get a clear course of action because some people say I should leave the charger for the main battery plugged in while I'm gone for 6 months, others say no but put the 12 V battery on a trickle charger for the 6 months, while others say no charger for either battery but make sure I deactivate internal monitoring and don't use my Porsche Connect app during the 6 months I'm gone.

I'm really stuck on this.
It is not clear even from Porsche communications. Here is the latest version of their advice, but seems to be only for 3 months?

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2022/MC-10209809-0001.pdf

Have a good talk with your Porsche dealer around that document and perhaps call Porsche support and ask for a technician.

OP
OP
IrwinJ

IrwinJ

First Name
Irwin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mercedes SL550
Country flag
this last communication you pointed me to is what I've been thinking I'll do - set a charge profile of 50% and click optimize charging which would sort of turn my PMCC into a trickle charger. And Also I'll attach a trickle charger to the 12 v battery (probably this one - Amazon.com: CTEK (56-926) LITHIUM US 12 Volt Fully Automatic LiFePO4 Battery Charger,Blue : Automotive ).

The only thing that concerns me is the communication saying those instructions are only for storing the car 3 months because I have no choice but to store it for 6 months. And contacting my dealership is useless since they know less than Porsche itself.

raharris

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC AT4X, Macan S, Taycan Turbo, Cayenne Turbo GT
Country flag
I don’t think the procedure for battery would change between 3 and 6 months. But other factors definitely come to play - like tire inflation, protecting against rodents etc - which I don’t think would be any different to an ICE vehicle.

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
Yep, +1 - good product - have one I used to trickle charge the Li-ion battery in my M4
Meant to add a comment - it would be really useful if the MyPorsche app could report SoC of he 12V battery i.e. not just the HV SoC - if you travel a lot this would be a nice 'peace of mind' feature to have.

QueenBean

First Name
Jill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan, Polestar 2, Rubicon 4xe, F-Pace
Country flag
I would worry more about getting flat spots on your tires if you are not leaving it jacked-up. The Taycan is a very heavy vehicle. Ideally it should be driven, though jacking it would take some pressure off the tires. Maybe just inflate to a higher PSI while it is in lay-up mode.

Reactions: B61

Browning

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RangeRover D350 MHEV New Disco 300D MHEW Taycan4S
Country flag
I would worry more about getting flat spots on your tires if you are not leaving it jacked-up. The Taycan is a very heavy vehicle. Ideally it should be driven, though jacking it would take some pressure off the tires. Maybe just inflate to a higher PSI while it is in lay-up mode.
You could in order to minimise tyre wear park car on rubber matting

DocMart3n

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
At end of October when we leave our home in NC, my Taycan will stay in the garage. I'm wondering if I should leave it plugged in or not. I only charge it to 85%. I could (try, not sure I'll do it correctly) to set a profile that tells it to charge when it hits 25%. Or is that unnecessary?
An EV battery is best kept at 50%. It is the "goldilock zone" of a battery. The more extreme to either end the shorter the shelf life. Its not healthy to a battery at all to leave any electric car 100% charged or 0% charged. However, the Porsche never charges its battery to 100% and what appears as 100% is in fact 90%. So having the battery charged to around 55% is probably optimum (the real 50%). You can setup your desired charging levels in a Porsche as you like, so program it to 55% and keep it connected.
For the 12V battery I am not sure. Unfortunately, the Taycan, unless my little Nissan Leaf, has no solar cells to keep it topped up. In the past we used to disconnect a 12V battery, but I am not sure what that would do to the Taycans complicated electronics.... And whether or not it will be flat anyway when you return....
Sponsored