JimBob

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Thought this was a good demonstration of the effectiveness of the LED light options on the Taycan which might be useful when spec'ing a car . He shows two of the options.
LED Cornering Headlights
Porsche Dynamic Lighting System PDSL+

The narrow English roads really show how these actually work.

Sponsored

RAHRCR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Panamera Sport Turismo 4S
Country flag
Even though it was unclear as to whether or not they would be active when I placed my US order last year, I spec’d the Matrix lights. I had to remove them due to supply chain constraints. Turns out that the poverty spec PDLS+ is pretty awesome so I am good with what I have. Light technology is amazing. The new stuff that Audi is developing now is mind blowing.

Hopefully by then, the US will be fully caught up.

Jayyvr890

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
This video is giving me serious FOMO as my Matrix lights are do nothing in Canada lol.

D_Frost

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
AMG GLE, Vantage
I would hope that there will be a way to unlock this capability for North America in the future.

Jayyvr890

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I would hope that there will be a way to unlock this capability for North America in the future.
There was a thread recently with documentation from Porsche stating that working Matrix will not be retrofitted to cars in NA even if they are equipped with the hardware.

I'm hoping for a hack though. Apparently it's not that hard on Audis so a Taycan shouldn't be far off? lol

mystermykee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 IGM
Country flag
😭 Do you think with enough noise Porsche will eventually come around to enabling this on North American cars?

Oink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S+, M3P
Country flag
So is matrix PDSL+ supposed to turn on the Taycan, or not? Mine don't. Miss it from previous cars.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
😭 Do you think with enough noise Porsche will eventually come around to enabling this on North American cars?
They are not ran by Elon, they don't care about noise. The cost would likely be prohibitive. The main issue is government requirements. In order to enable the headlights, they would have to requalify all previous model year cars under today's rules - not just lights, the entire car has to be re-qualified as you cannot say "this car follows mostly the rules from 2020 but for headlights if follows rules from 2023" - a car must meet all requirements from a particular year, all or nothing. It would be different if our politicians put something in the new legislation allowing requalification of just the adaptive headlights, but they were too busy trying to figure out how to strip EV incentives in lieu of UAW bribes. 🤷‍♂️ These are the same politicians who continue to allow red and almost require directional signals (blinkers), despite multiple studies from the insurance companies showing why they are less safe than the amber ones the rest of the world is using. Even Porsche redesigned their tail lights for NA with red blinkers. Ever noticed that if you turn your hazard lights on, your stop lights no longer work, except for the middle one?

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
PDLS+ is fantastic and works beautifully and responds quickly.
I already had the pleasure to drive it a few times in foggy weather and it's so great to see the "shadowing" of the car in front of you!
Not even that, it's following it as well!
Just amazing!

One thing I don't like is the sensitivity of the safety feature which gives light flashes to pedestrians/cyclists to warn them...🥴
Sorry about that folks, it's my car, not me... 😁

OP
OP

JimBob

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I posted this on another thread so may as well put it here.

For clarity from the US configurator:

Note: Full LED-Matrix functionality (individual operation of 84 LEDs) is limited for the US market. Individual LEDs are programmed to operate as a single light source to perform the functions listed above.

Under this option you get PDSL+ for bendy roads and cornering.

What is the Porsche Dynamic Light System Plus (PDLS Plus)?
What is the difference between PDLS and PDLS Plus? Porsche Dynamic Light System Plus has two added functions. First, at speeds higher than about 40 mph, the dynamic main beam will turn on and detect oncoming traffic and vehicles in front of you. The light cone’s intensity and range are adjusted depending on the surroundings. Secondly, Intersection Assistant turns on the electronic cornering lights to adjust the broadness and length of the light cones, which increases the visibility of the vehicle’s surroundings.

Also
If your lights turn then you might have PDLS rather than PDLS+ which has added functionality.

It would be interesting if someone who has driven both the European versions and NA versions sees any differences.

And a more technical article on the current status in NA.
https://www.engadget.com/adaptive-h...ghts-nhtsa-regulations-testing-150034439.html

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
They weren't when I picked it up and I hurried my SA along as I needed to get home . They're on now :like:
I must have been molly-coddled by my SA- he just told me to leave it to its own devices. It was months before I encountered conditions that confirmed that they were working correctly.
Sponsored