Let’s talk brakes on a 4S....standard red or PSCB...

Mile2424

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S (coming soon)
Country flag
Do the PCSB provide any additional stopping power or increase in rotor or caliper size?
Sponsored

jonze

First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Uber
Country flag
Calibers were bigger for 2020...not for 2021. Rotors are slightly larger. I don’t have firsthand knowledge of increased stopping power, but apparently most of the braking is regenerative.

Do the PCSB provide any additional stopping power or increase in rotor or caliper size?

OP
OP

Mile2424

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S (coming soon)
Country flag
Calibers were bigger for 2020...not for 2021. Rotors are slightly larger. I don’t have firsthand knowledge of increased stopping power, but apparently most of the braking is regenerative.
what are the changes for the 2021 model year compared to 2020?

JacobDK

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
This first line does not make sense.

standard disc are 360 mm @front
Pscb my21 are 410mm (my20 415mm) @front
Standard calibers are 6 pot
Pscb calibers are my21 6 pot (10pot my20)

But each piston (pot) in the caliper is smaller on the standard 4s than pscb and the caliper is smaller than the pscb version due to the fact that a caliper has to be matched to the circumference of the disc (pscb has a larger disc diameter and therefore larger circumference).

the pscb my20 and my21 are supposed to have the same braking force which makes sense since the disc are key not the calipers. The disc have to absorb the energy (transformed to heat) and to make the heat go away in order to brake the next time round (which is why you ventilate disc). Groved disc are used to shed the brakedust away but neither systems have this (it kills the pads fast) but since the pscb is of harder discmaterial they will produce less brakedust and therefore be more effective in this regard as well.

my20/21 pots and disc. Since the disc size is basically the same - the braking force is basically the same (with 6 pot calipers you wont go down on force - F1 cars have 6 pot titanium calipers).

plus for my21 is a 11 kg saved weight of unsprung weight which benefits handling. Service is also more simple and must be less costly.

plus for my20 is a meaner/cooler look. The 10 pots are smaller and placed within the caliper in a way where the force is distributed more on the disc (more towards the centre) wich in theory will enhance the disc life. Modulation of brake force is also easier to achive but porsche claims the my21 is as good.

plus for the standard are price - when new and when replacing (pscb disc are crazy expensive)
standard is all you willever need -I got the pscb though because of mission e wheels..

Last edited:
OP
OP

Mile2424

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S (coming soon)
Country flag

But each piston (pot) in the caliper is smaller on the standard 4s than pscb and the caliper is smaller than the pscb version due to the fact that a caliper has to be matched to the circumference of the disc (pscb has a larger disc diameter and therefore larger circumference).

the pscb my20 and my21 are supposed to have the same braking force which makes sense since the disc are key not the calipers. The disc have to absorb the energy (transformed to heat) and to make the heat go away in order to brake the next time round (which is why you ventilate disc). Groved disc are used to shed the brakedust away but neither systems have this (it kills the pads fast) but since the pscb is of harder discmaterial they will produce less brakedust and therefore be more effective in this regard as well.

my20/21 pots and disc. Since the disc size is basically the same - the braking force is basically the same (with 6 pot calipers you wont go down on force - F1 cars have 6 pot titanium calipers).

plus for my21 is a 11 kg saved weight of unsprung weight which benefits handling. Service is also more simple and must be less costly.

plus for my20 is a meaner/cooler look. The 10 pots are smaller and placed within the caliper in a way where the force is distributed more on the disc (more towards the centre) wich in theory will enhance the disc life. Modulation of brake force is also easier to achive but porsche claims the my21 is as good.

plus for the standard are price - when new and when replacing (pscb disc are crazy expensive)
standard is all you willever need -I got the pscb though because of mission e wheels..
very informative. Thank you

Tazer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, Turbo GT, Aventador SVJ, 812 Superfast
Country flag
I feel like the PSCB aren’t necessary on the Taycan. Brakes aren’t used as much and I don’t feel like the price + consumables price is justifiable

Will Perrott

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Macan S
Country flag

Hi. I understand the PSCB need to bed in before regen works. How long did your car take for the regenerative braking to start to work?
Will

bosch88

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
Hi. I understand the PSCB need to bed in before regen works. How long did your car take for the regenerative braking to start to work?
Will
What does bedding the brake pads have to do with regen? Regen uses the electric motors to "engine" brake and slow the car down... Am I missing something?

wmras

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TS, GT4 (sold), Macan Turbo, Cayman SBE 987.18
Country flag
What does bedding the brake pads have to do with regen? Regen uses the electric motors to "engine" brake and slow the car down... Am I missing something?
Bedding the brakes improves emergency stops and a reason for not using regeneration for the first few hundred miles or km.

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
If I remember correctly the first 0.6g of deceleration are achieved entirely through regeneration with the mechanical brakes only kicking in for more brutal stops. The brakes therefore might never get bedded in if there would not be this delayed activation of the regeneration function.

Reactions: or1

bosch88

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
OK, makes sense... Porsche deliberately delayed the activation of regen in order to get the brakes "bedded" So, do we with regular brakes need to "bed" the brakes? My regen worked from day one.. so my brakes have not been "bedded" then? Are the brake pads for the regular the PSCB the same?

wmras

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TS, GT4 (sold), Macan Turbo, Cayman SBE 987.18
Country flag
OK, makes sense... Porsche deliberately delayed the activation of regen in order to get the brakes "bedded" So, do we with regular brakes need to "bed" the brakes? My regen worked from day one.. so my brakes have not been "bedded" then? Are the brake pads for the regular the PSCB the same?
The PSCB brake pads are not the same as standard brake pads. They are designed for maximum performance and minimum dust with the Silicon-Carbide rotor surface.
Sponsored