Let’s talk brakes on a 4S....standard red or PSCB...

DennisB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
Country flag
Ordered a Turbo a few weeks ago and found out today that the calipers are also smaller on the MY2021 Turbo. I read about it before, but thougt this was only the case with the 4S. I'm really annoyed with this, because I really like the look of these big calipers. What bothers me the most is that the dealer didn't mention it and the online configuration still shows the big 10 piston calipers.
Porsche Taycan Let’s talk brakes on a 4S....standard red or PSCB... caliper2

Porsche Taycan Let’s talk brakes on a 4S....standard red or PSCB... caliper1

I can understand that some people don't really see this as a big deal, but I took a long time building this car to my desire and the big calipers are one of the components that I really like.

Now I'm forced to order the PCCB if I want bigger calipers. That's not how it should work when buying a 200.000 euro car.

rbt3

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S, 2020 Tesla Model Y, 2020 MB GLE450
Country flag
Ordered a Turbo a few weeks ago and found out today that the calipers are also smaller on the MY2021 Turbo. I read about it before, but thougt this was only the case with the 4S. I'm really annoyed with this, because I really like the look of these big calipers. What bothers me the most is that the dealer didn't mention it and the online configuration still shows the big 10 piston calipers.
caliper2.png

caliper1.png

I can understand that some people don't really see this as a big deal, but I took a long time building this car to my desire and the big calipers are one of the components that I really like.

Now I'm forced to order the PCCB if I want bigger calipers. That's not how it should work when buying a 200.000 euro car.
I have the white 10 piston calipers (front) and larger rotors from the MY 2020 Taycan 4S on my Carrera White T4S, and am very happy with the look, stopping power and lack of wheel brake dust from these PSCB's. The rotors also take on a mirror like look after a few hundred miles and cleaning my calipers and wheels is a breeze. The life of the rotors and calipers should outlast my ownership of the car most likely as we all know how the regenerative braking accounts for the first 60-70% of brake forces in these cars. I have Mission E wheels and the white calipers on my white car looks fantastic. I am glad I have the larger 10 piston calipers even though there is a not insignificant weight penalty with them (23 lbs/11 kg!), I think they look awesome and for my driving the weight penalty is irrelevant. There should soon be an aftermarket source for the larger calipers and rotors for MY 2021 and later owners hopefully.

jimithing

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Macan Turbo, 2014 Panamera GTS
Country flag
caliper2.png

caliper1.png

I had the same experience in December and ended up doing the PCCBs. While PSCB is a great idea, they're saying they only last 30% longer. But replacement cost is going to be ugly - probably in the $10k range. So it depends on how long you plan to keep the car. I tend to keep mine around 5 yrs/80k miles which I think put me in the PSCB replacement danger zone. With the PCCBs I'm paying more up front but I know I'll never have to replace them. And they look incredible with the Mission E wheels.

Is this the prudent decision? Probably not. But buying the Taycan isn't a prudent decision to begin with so I went YOLO on it.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
not sure how a vehicle with regen as strong as Porsche has designed (90% of normal braking load according to Porsche’s own claims) is ever going to wear through a set of any brakes (they should be good for 250,000 miles or more). There are virtually no Tesla’s that have had a brake job…

regenerative braking really really really reduces the load on pads & rotors such that they can almost be considered a life time item.

DennisB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
Country flag
not sure how a vehicle with regen as strong as Porsche has designed (90% of normal braking load according to Porsche’s own claims) is ever going to wear through a set of any brakes (they should be good for 250,000 miles or more). There are virtually no Tesla’s that have had a brake job…

regenerative braking really really really reduces the load on pads & rotors such that they can almost be considered a life time item.
I'm aware, they will probably never wear out, but for me it was about the looks. I really like the bigger calipers. I also ordered the 22" Techart wheels so the calipers really stand out.

I presented my problem with the smaller calipers and the fact I wasn't aware of this (because the online configuration is still showing the big calipers) to my dealer. He spoke to Porsche about it and offcourse they told him that the build shown in the configuration may differ from reality and that they do not take responsibilty.

That explanation wasn't the answer I was hoping for, but also not what he wanted to hear. So he offered me ceramic brakes with black caliper for less than a third of the price.

Now that is what I call customer service. I told him before this is my first Porsche and it should be a joy to build and buy it, he fully understand and presented me this solution . For now, nothing but good words about this dealer (Netherlands).

JacobDK

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
I have the white 10 piston calipers (front) and larger rotors from the MY 2020 Taycan 4S on my Carrera White T4S, and am very happy with the look, stopping power and lack of wheel brake dust from these PSCB's. The rotors also take on a mirror like look after a few hundred miles and cleaning my calipers and wheels is a breeze. The life of the rotors and calipers should outlast my ownership of the car most likely as we all know how the regenerative braking accounts for the first 60-70% of brake forces in these cars. I have Mission E wheels and the white calipers on my white car looks fantastic. I am glad I have the larger 10 piston calipers even though there is a not insignificant weight penalty with them (23 lbs/11 kg!), I think they look awesome and for my driving the weight penalty is irrelevant. There should soon be an aftermarket source for the larger calipers and rotors for MY 2021 and later owners hopefully.
Hi Robert
My PSCB MY2021 with the 6 piston caliper are also starting to become mirrorlike up front - but only/mostly on a part of the disc closest to the center of the rotors. Your Akebono 10 piston caliper are in a layout where the should apply pressure more evenly to the rotor than the Brembo 6 pots I have.
Is your whole rotor shiny / mirrorlike os like mine only partially?

I suspect over time my disc will also be shiny but not sure how long its going to take since the regen does most braking ;) im 2000 miles in.

Can you post a picture?

Also shout out to 4S owners with standard brakes - how does your brakes (std. Steel) look over time?

Porsche Taycan Let’s talk brakes on a 4S....standard red or PSCB... image

rbt3

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S, 2020 Tesla Model Y, 2020 MB GLE450
Country flag
Hi Jacob, my brakes appear to be shiny through their whole width. I took a picture today, but sorry the car is really dirty and they didn't show up that great. There is a front brake and a rear brake picture.
Porsche Taycan Let’s talk brakes on a 4S....standard red or PSCB... IMG_9571
Porsche Taycan Let’s talk brakes on a 4S....standard red or PSCB... IMG_9570

Sidicks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S1, Porsche Taycan ST GTS
Country flag
I’ve decided to go for the standard interior on my GTS, rather than the GTS interior with coloured belts and seatbelts, which then saves me a big chunk of money.

That does mean I’m now considering the PSCBs (with black callipers) - anyone else considering this, or is it really not worth it?!

Last edited:

Taycan_friend

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
If I remember correctly the first 0.6g of deceleration are achieved entirely through regeneration with the mechanical brakes only kicking in for more brutal stops. The brakes therefore might never get bedded in if there would not be this delayed activation of the regeneration function.
Nope, regen braking is applied to close to 0.4g. 0.38 to be precise

Taycan_friend

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
Bedding the brakes improves emergency stops and a reason for not using regeneration for the first few hundred miles or km.
Bedding is important to achieve a perfect friction pair of pad and disc. This is important for all kind of brake scenarios, it helps the acoustic and the comfort and the performance.

Bedding on conventional cars is also done within the first approx 100 miles. On EVs, especially with super high recuperation capacities, this would probably take forever, therefore there is the bedding function.

There is no fixed bedding mileage like some people say. It does not depend on the brake model (normal iron, PSCB, PCCB). The duration of the bedding function only depends on the driving style and collective a d depends of the amounts and types of braking phases. During this time, recuoeration is switched off. After bedding is completed, recuperation is automatically activated.

Same game when you change brakes in a few years or after accidant or whatever. The service re ativates the bedding function.

Normal bedding mileage is between 70 to 200 miles depending on driving style.

Taycan_friend

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
OK, makes sense... Porsche deliberately delayed the activation of regen in order to get the brakes "bedded" So, do we with regular brakes need to "bed" the brakes? My regen worked from day one.. so my brakes have not been "bedded" then? Are the brake pads for the regular the PSCB the same?
Bedding function is normally activated when you take over your car. Was there any mileage on your car when you took it over? Did your powermeter show regen (till 9 oclock position) from day one? This would be strange.
Normal combustion engine car brakes do bed in automattically within the first approx 100 miles

Taycan_friend

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
What does bedding the brake pads have to do with regen? Regen uses the electric motors to "engine" brake and slow the car down... Am I missing something?
Regen is deactivated so that fruction brake take over so that the bedding works