Let us know how your recall update (Powertrain Shutdown / Loss of Power) went

sailboat310

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I bought a 2021 Turbo earlier this month. It went back to service for a faulty coolant pump after a couple days. Had it for about 2 weeks. When I asked if they could do the recall update, they said my car was not part of the recall. However, I did get an e-mail with my VIN number saying that it was a part of the recall.

Does the recall not show up on my car system because I haven't been able to connect to the PCM yet? Haven't gotten the car back yet. Pump is replaced, but no luck with the Porche connect login...

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Log into My Porsche and it will alert you there if part of the recall ( not Porsche Connect).

Tambrose

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan RWD
Country flag
I had my 2021 RWD updated today at Porsche Irvine. I had it back in 6 hours. No issues.

I haven't noticed anything different, other than a couple settings were enabled that had been disabled (Lane Keep Assist, Over speed limit warnings, and max speed was set to 81MPH.

All versions of the software that are visible in the PCM were unchanged.

legataycan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 981 Boxster
Country flag
Thanks for the info - please keep us posted on what they say. I’m scheduled next week for my update.
So I didn’t hear back from the dealership the next day as promised. I called this morning only to be told a ticket has been opened again and I’ll have to wait for a response from Porsche. I first reported this issue to them over a month ago (feeling unsafe driving) and my car has been with the dealership for a week now. The recall clearly didn’t solve any issues with loss of power.

Oh, and of course they don’t have any courtesy cars available to offer me.

A bad experience to say the least.

legataycan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 981 Boxster
Country flag
2nd post today on FB Taycan group with the same thing, also after recent recall was done.
Do you have any more details about their experience? I was really hoping I’d be the only one and this wasn’t indicative of a larger software issue.

John Lyons

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jaguar XFR
Country flag
Mine has been an unmitigated disaster. 4s. Email said 1 to 6 hours. Dealer has had it now three days. They say they need a part from Germany now and it will be “at least” another week. Looks like I won’t have my car for a month and they have basically said “we can do nothing for you”. So I am without a car. This is my first experience with Porsche and I must say the worst car service experience I have ever had.

KTC

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 911 C4GTS; 2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Do you have any more details about their experience? I was really hoping I’d be the only one and this wasn’t indicative of a larger software issue.
Supposedly one week after the recall software was done.

Porsche Taycan Let us know how your recall update (Powertrain Shutdown / Loss of Power) went {filename}

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
2nd post today on FB Taycan group with the same thing, also after recent recall was done.
this needs more information but let’s consider the following:
  • the software update addresses “spurious” faults - that were “un-necessarily” shutting the vehicle down
  • the software update does NOT erradicate the possibility of this physical electrical fault - supposedly this problem can occur and if it does it’s a real issue
we have to consider this fault even with the software fix may be indicative of an actual problem with a particular Taycan’s drive train - only Porsche can diagnose this.

the recall addresses problems where the error could occur but it was “false postive” - the update does not prevent this error from occurring when there is an actual problem with one’s drive train.

I’d need more information before declaring the update “doesn’t work”

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
It is clear from the various reports in this forum and the NHTSA complaints there are more than one root causes for power loss and this software update addresses only one, the software bug in the PE module which is responsible for the majority of recent cases but not all.
There are several other reasons not addressed, most of them related to hardware failures like a bad big battery.

I hope NHTSA will do an in depth investigation and request Porsche to fix all root causes.

Now, regarding the recall software update, it is installed in my car since early June and no problems so far.

Last edited:

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
It is clear from the various reports in this forum and the NHTSA complaints there are more than one root causes for power loss and this software update addresses only one, the software bug in the PE module which is responsible for the majority of recent cases but not all.
There are several other reasons not addressed, most of them related to hardware failures like a bad big battery.

I hope NHTSA will do an in depth investigation and request Porsche to fix all root causes.

Now, regarding the recall software update, it is installed in my car since early June and no problems so far.
How do you know it addresses "only one issue"?
How do you know it's because of "hardware failures" and/or a "bad big battery"?
Where did you get this info from?

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
How do you know it addresses "only one issue"?
How do you know it's because of a "bad big battery"?
Where did you get this info?
From other owners (more than one) that their car die while driving with error message "Electrical Fault" and then upon diagnostics the dealer found their big battery needed replacement.
Also another one had a bad high voltage line. There is actually a campaign to address that issue and to the best of my knowledge the affected cars (591 in the US) were never formally recalled. I know an owner with an affected car was never notified and he only found out when his car died and was towed to the dealer..

Last edited:

legataycan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 981 Boxster
Country flag
this needs more information but let’s consider the following:
  • the software update addresses “spurious” faults - that were “un-necessarily” shutting the vehicle down
  • the software update does NOT erradicate the possibility of this physical electrical fault - supposedly this problem can occur and if it does it’s a real issue
we have to consider this fault even with the software fix may be indicative of an actual problem with a particular Taycan’s drive train - only Porsche can diagnose this.

the recall addresses problems where the error could occur but it was “false postive” - the update does not prevent this error from occurring when there is an actual problem with one’s drive train.

I’d need more information before declaring the update “doesn’t work”
I like this thinking. I really hope it’s the case. For me it’s purely anecdotal but I worry I hadn’t experienced this issue at all until the recall update and then experienced it within a few hours. That makes me think software.

But here’s hoping I hear back from Porsche that it’s a easily repairable hardware fault! ?

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
From other owners (more than one) that their car die while driving with error message "Electrical Fault" and then upon diagnostics the dealer found their big battery needed replacement.
Also another one had a bad high voltage line. There is actually a campaign to address that issue and to the best of my knowledge the affected cars (591 in the US) were never formally recalled.
So these warnings were absolutely correct?...
I'm sorry but that has zero to do with this recall AMB5.

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
So these warnings were absolutely correct?...
I'm sorry but that has zero to do with this recall AMB5.
Yes the warnings on those cases were correct (i e. actual electrical errors) and different than the warnings addressed by the software recall ("Motor Control Error" and "Engine Computer error").
Also these hardware errors did not go away with restarting the car like the software bug. The cars had to be towed.

We are saying the same thing. I am trying to explain that AMB5 is not the root cause of power loss cases.
Sponsored

Last edited:
Reactions: Dee