Mark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I like this thinking. I really hope it’s the case. For me it’s purely anecdotal but I worry I hadn’t experienced this issue at all until the recall update and then experienced it within a few hours. That makes me think software.

But here’s hoping I hear back from Porsche that it’s a easily repairable hardware fault! ?
Your car was functioning fine after power cycling off/on exactly like the problem AMB5 was meant to address, correct ? If so, that’s sounds much more like a spurious software issue rather than a hardware problem.
Sponsored

MN_taycan

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2018 Audi S7, 1972 Datsun 240Z
Country flag
Hello - dropped my Turbo S off last Wednesday night for all the updates (car delivered last July) - the big recall update didn't work after multiple tries, dealer ordered PCM replacement (not the screen). I had planned to do a PCA DE Track Day on Saturday for fun, they wouldn't release it un-updated once it was at the dealership because it is technically a safety recall, Seemed like a very big step to replace the PCM brain, but I didn't argue with a new part. Update now supposed to happen tomorrow.

legataycan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 981 Boxster
Country flag
Your car was functioning fine after power cycling off/on exactly like the problem AMB5 was meant to address, correct ? If so, that’s sounds much more like a spurious software issue rather than a hardware problem.
Still waiting for the OPC to hear back from a “ticket” with Porsche. I just want to drive my car ?

I wonder what will happen next?

Piper

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Turbo S, 2018 BMW M5, 2012 Audi R8, 2012 Audi TTRS
Country flag
Recall update went great. In and out the same day. Turbo S.

Mark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Still waiting for the OPC to hear back from a “ticket” with Porsche. I just want to drive my car ?

@legataycan , my guess is there is significant angst/panic happening in Porsche HQ trying to figure out what to do with the AMB5 update. If this fix is indeed incomplete, every day they wait means another dealership update for all of us who have already had AMB5 applied. The fact they have not contacted you yet likely means there is no simple explanation to your issue which is unfortunately bad news for all of us. I guess we have no recourse but to wait, but if Porsche is still uncommunicative after a few more days, I’d suggest reporting this issue to the DVSA, the UK equivalent of the NHTSA. If we’ve learned one thing, it’s that pressure from government agencies seems to motivate Porsche.

https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-recalls-and-faults/report-a-serious-safety-defect

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag

You are not alone. I saw another report on a FB group of another car that threw "Engine Control Error" right after the update.

Last edited:

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
My car had AMB5 (scope 3) successfully installed. The car was at the dealer for 1.5 days because there were many Taycans in line before mine.
My car already had the PE update since June but they reinstalled it again just to close the recall on my vin. Some settings like units and the instrument cluster info settings were lost which is interesting given this update was only for PE and DME.

This is the official TSB about the update for the recall. The work that needs to be done depends on the current version of your car and the document refers to it as "scope" in page 2. The update includes WMA5/6/7 if that is not already performed so it is a major update for some cars and I guess we will hear about more bricked cars..

SDSoccerdad

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Update installed today. Took a few tries but Sirius came back.. . . But not Bluetooth which was grayed out. Techs at dealership told me there is an update to address this issue but needed to keep the car overnight - otherwise it would’ve been done in 4 hours. Bummer

alinnell

First Name
Allison
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan/2017 718 Boxster S/2019 Acura RDX
Country flag
Took mine in Wednesday and picked up Thursday. All went well. It fixed the problem (yes, we did have the issue and I'd reported it to the dealer weeks ago). AND the update fixed a secondary issue that had been bugging the heck out of me for weeks (the infotainment system couldn't "remember" where it left off on a playlist and always went back to the start which meant listening to the same song over and over if you had to do multiple stops).

bgatxy1

First Name
b
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
993, RRS, Taycan4S
Country flag
2020 4S with just over 4k problem-free miles taken in for recall service. Updates included: AMB5/WMA5/WLHS/WMA7
2 days service total.

benver

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY2020 Porsche Taycan Turbo
Country flag
My turbo got the AMB5 update today. Since I also complained again about Apple Car Play and previously already supplied them with a 1 minute movie showing the PCM going blank, they had another look and this time the car had some error codes. They created a PRMS ticket and uploaded the movie to P(i?)qis. They will keep me informed about any progress.

They also rechecked all previous updates, all OK.

Drive home was uneventful.

MN_taycan

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2018 Audi S7, 1972 Datsun 240Z
Country flag
Hello - dropped my Turbo S off last Wednesday night for all the updates (car delivered last July) - the big recall update didn't work after multiple tries, dealer ordered PCM replacement (not the screen). I had planned to do a PCA DE Track Day on Saturday for fun, they wouldn't release it un-updated once it was at the dealership because it is technically a safety recall, Seemed like a very big step to replace the PCM brain, but I didn't argue with a new part. Update now supposed to happen tomorrow.
sigh. So 10 days later, now have new PCM and waiting on replacement of 3 HVAC servo motors in an attempt to solve all the issues that have come up post S/W update- basically first PCM was unresponsive, now other systems also unresponsive. Not heading down a great path, I'm afraid. WIll be visiting the dealer tomorrow.
Sponsored