Limit AC Charging Speed (For Lectron Adapter)

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Merida Reacto 4000
Country flag
Hi,
Just realized we made a mistake when we bought a 40amp & 250V Lectron adapter when there are other higher-powered Tesla destination chargers nearby (eg. a resort we are planning to go to has a 11kw one). However, the 2021 MY cars should be able to limit it's charging speed? Is this only the case for DC charging or can we also limit AC charging to around 10kw to not damage the adapter?
Or has someone managed to charge 11kw with the 40amps Lectron adapter?
Thanks!!
Sponsored

Last edited:

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
only DC charging has adjustments to limit charging rate.

11 kW is only 48 amps - 40 amps should be fine - but yeah you might want to upgrade your adapter - the problem is heat - I would check it after about 10, 15, 20, 30 minutes - if the adapter isn’t too warm you’re probably -fine I wouldn’t use it direct sunlight on a hot day - but if it’s cool out and not in direct sun you might get away with it.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
the safest choice is a 60 amp or 80 amp Tesla adapter becuase the Taycan is an 11 kw (48 amp 60 amp breaker) vehicle - it will charge at 11 kw when presented with a J-1772 48 amp charger or Tesla Charger + Adatper at 48 amps.

60 and 80 amp adapters are “over spec” for 11 kW and shoud do fine.

there are 80 amp (100 amp breaker) Tesla destination chargers - and if you have the 19.2 kW charger on your 2021 Taycan then the 80 amp version is the only version I’d recommend.

Tesla has a software controls to limit the L2 AC charging amps in the vehicles charging user interface in the car - it‘s one of the features I really really miss and other EV’s haven’t added that functionality yet - that’s unfortunate.

andrewket

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Taycan Turbo, Tesla Y*2; Prev S,X,3,996TT
Country flag
the safest choice is a 60 amp or 80 amp Tesla adapter becuase the Taycan is an 11 kw (48 amp 60 amp breaker) vehicle - it will charge at 11 kw when presented with a J-1772 48 amp charger or Tesla Charger + Adatper at 48 amps.

60 and 80 amp adapters are “over spec” for 11 kW and shoud do fine.

there are 80 amp (100 amp breaker) Tesla destination chargers - and if you have the 19.2 kW charger on your 2021 Taycan then the 80 amp version is the only version I’d recommend.

Tesla has a software controls to limit the L2 AC charging amps in the vehicles charging user interface in the car - it‘s one of the features I really really miss and other EV’s haven’t added that functionality yet - that’s unfortunate.
No doubt in an effort to “make it easier”. An expert mode toggle would be nice. Being able to adjust amperage has been useful when charging at RV parks with less than stellar infrastructure. Reducing the amperage can stop you from blowing very old breakers and getting yelled at by management who will blame your car and not their infrastructure in disrepair. Ask me how I know :/

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Can't you reduce the amps of the charger (e.g. Porsche Mobile Charger Connect) via the user interface (it's a sliding scale) to throttle back a little?

No means of AC throttling on the car itself.

OP
OP
burgerandchips
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Merida Reacto 4000
Country flag
Can't you reduce the amps of the charger (e.g. Porsche Mobile Charger Connect) via the user interface (it's a sliding scale) to throttle back a little?
Would definitely be great if possible, but don't think you can do that on a Tesla HPWC (at a hotel).
:(

OP
OP
burgerandchips
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Merida Reacto 4000
Country flag
only DC charging has adjustments to limit charging rate.

11 kW is only 48 amps - 40 amps should be fine - but yeah you might want to upgrade your adapter - the problem is heat - I would check it after about 10, 15, 20, 30 minutes - if the adapter isn’t too warm you’re probably -fine I wouldn’t use it direct sunlight on a hot day - but if it’s cool out and not in direct sun you might get away with it.
Dang, thanks for the info! Will def keep the heat in mind, maybe charge at night or something!

Thanks!!!

dnanian

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan, Tesla Model S, BMW i3
Country flag
I use the Lectron on an 80A Tesla wall charger, and the car never draws more than 40A...

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I use the Lectron on an 80A Tesla wall charger, and the car never draws more than 40A...
what kW rating do you see when doing this - it might just be pulling 48 amps - the car can't pull 80 amps unless it has the 19.2 kW charging option from Porsche factory…

the maximum charge rate of North American Taycan are in fact 11 kW (or optionally 19.2) - that means when plugged into an AC power L2 Charger they will pull a maximum of 48 amps (about 11-12 kW)
  • if the charger is less 48 amps - the Taycan will pull the maximum rate of the charger
  • if the charger is more than 48 amps - the Taycan will pull 48 amps (since that is all the vehicle can do)
@ron_b I believe has the Lectron adapter and tested it at my San Jose home on my Tesla Gen2 100 amp charger on my 2020 Taycan and we saw 10.48 kW charge rate - which means it was pulling 48 amps.

Ron will have to confirm which adapter he brought to my home to test…

all EV charging is a negotiation between the external charger's maximum rate and the vehicles's maximum rate - neither can exceed the maximum of the other…plugging a 32 amp Chevy Bolt into an 80 amp EV charger doesn't make the Bolt charge any faster…

to date I'm unaware nor have I seen demonstrated a Tesla to J-1772 adapter that actively modifies the reported "amps" from the external EVSE (i.e. an EVSE that advertised 72 amp charge rate that when using the adapter the vehicle only "sees" 40 amps).

I know for a fact the following two adapter do NOT modify the advertised J-1772 charge rate:
  1. TeslaTap - does NOT modify the advertised rate on my J-1772 Tesla Gen2 Chargers
  2. JDapater - does NOT modify the advertised rate on my J-1772 Tesla Gen2 Chargers
so if true this would be new data that the Lectron adapter is "active" vs. "passive" and will down-grade higher amp charging session to "fit" it's amp limit…

I'd love any data…

Last edited:

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
That is correct @daveo4EV I did bring over the Lectron 40A adapter when we saw 48A being delivered. Considering the size of the wire that I had on mine I feel confident that it would have no issues delivering the extra 20%, but that is by no means a guarantee for others.

So far I have not needed to use it other than two tests, Electrify America is plentiful in my area and where I have been traveling, also have not been staying in hotels much.

dnanian

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan, Tesla Model S, BMW i3
Country flag
what kW rating do you see when doing this - it might just be pulling 48 amps - the car can't pull 80 amps unless it has the 19.2 kW charging option from Porsche factory…
Yeah, I think it's actually 48A - about 11kW.

fiehlsport

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ID.4
Country flag
Just received an email from Lectron.
Seems like it is able to limit the charging, pretty interesting.

1616385526860.png
1616385559681.png
I just received an e-mail from Veronica stating the complete opposite. "It can still work with 48A, but we only recommend to use <= 40A"

So, there is likely no current limiting hardware in this device. Just wanted to post here to clear this up as there isn't much info on the internet about this Lectron adapter working @ 48A.

With that said, I plan to use mine on our 11kW ID.4 when the adapter arrives and I will post back with impressions. The cable on the adapter looks beefy (Nearly the same size as our 80A Tesla HPWC cable) and I wouldn't think would be an issue at first glance. Hopefully it doesn't get hot.