Liquid on the ground when fast charging?

TC Fan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
So I am new to all of this, and have taken the Taycan to a 350kw station several times. It goes very quickly, and it's between my home and closer to my second home, so it makes a goo end of trip/beginning of trip stop. In any case, the past couple of times I've had it charging, I've noticed liquid has dripped below the car. I assume that's condensation? But I really have no idea, or whether this is normal. It's been fairly warm here - 85+ degrees F, when charging. Any thoughts?
Sponsored

struther

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan GTR, Nissan 350z
Country flag
So I am new to all of this, and have taken the Taycan to a 350kw station several times. It goes very quickly, and it's between my home and closer to my second home, so it makes a goo end of trip/beginning of trip stop. In any case, the past couple of times I've had it charging, I've noticed liquid has dripped below the car. I assume that's condensation? But I really have no idea, or whether this is normal. It's been fairly warm here - 85+ degrees F, when charging. Any thoughts?
Air conditioning perhaps? Those often drip water moisture. Don’t have my car yet so can’t confirm.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
most likely condensation from the cooling system that runs to manage battery temperature during the charging process - but it never hurts to check - fast charging is thermally challenging and the BMS needs to use the battery temperature systems to keep the battery temp in line for longevity of the LiON cells…

my Taycan battery temp while charging in Half Moon bay the other morning @ 6 am (54F outside temp) went from 78F to 92F in the 38 min charging session at 108 kW - that's a rise of 14F in 38 min - 1/3 of a degree per minute rate of increase (I would expect your temp rose even faster given double the charge rate of 350 kW charger) - and I sat in the car the entire time and could hear the temperature system operating - and when I stepped outside I could feel the warm air blowing near the front wheel well not he driver's side - that is also temperature delta of 38F above ambient air temperature - so that should give you a pretty good idea how much heat has to be taken out of the system while charging.

it's thermally expensive to shove 43 kWh of power into a battery in 38 minutes (in my case) - all that heat has to go somewhere, and the temperature system in the Taycan has to generate cool to offset the influx of heat, this would cause condensation…

if it was warm out (85F) and the car was in the sun - I'd expect the cooling system to work even harder…

it's most likely nothing to worry about.

svp6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S
Country flag
Did my first EA charging today. Same liquid under - I presume condensation.

tk23

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mclaren 600LT. Porsche macan gts. Porsche 964 C4. Volvo xc90
Country flag
I had an issue with fluid collecting inside the car. First time I charged it to 100% at home in preparation for a road trip the rear passenger footwell had standing water in it. The dealer was great and got me in immediately, with a loaner, to still go on the trip. It turned out that the AC was incorrectly hooked up at the factory. No issues since the repair. I still take a quick feel of the carpet back there every so often.

Fire34609

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Range Rover TD6 HSE, 2020 Porsche Taycan
Country flag
Interested to know what location under the car condensation is occurring? Front / rear/ left / right side of vehicle.
I would think that if the vehicle is pre-cooling or continuing to cool the 'cabin area' that would be seen in a certain area of the vehicle. Wonder if 'battery' cooling would produce condensation in a different location?

svp6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S
Country flag
Interested to know what location under the car condensation is occurring? Front / rear/ left / right side of vehicle.
I would think that if the vehicle is pre-cooling or continuing to cool the 'cabin area' that would be seen in a certain area of the vehicle. Wonder if 'battery' cooling would produce condensation in a different location?
Looks like somewhere in the front part of the car. I suspect the condenser is somewhere close to the dashboard
Sponsored