Little black cloud continues doing what black clouds do; chassis error?

OP
OP

dnanian

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan, Tesla Model S, BMW i3
Country flag
Happy to say they've found the problem (although I don't have the car back yet).

Despite Porsche NA's initial diagnosis of a "software problem" (couldn't be, or all of you would be seeing this), my guess was one of a few things:
  • A faulty position sensor, which was sending a bad (or electronically "bouncy") height value
  • A blocked or constricted pneumatic hose
  • A blocked or faulty distribution block for the pneumatic system
  • A bad solenoid or valve
The fault was found, and it was...a kink in one of the pneumatic hoses, specifically the front right.

The hose, unfortunately, is literally bundled in with the wiring harness that goes from the back of the car (which is where most of the air suspension stuff is) to the front, and is thoroughly tied down and wrapped (you need only look at one of the P-Tech "water leak harness repair" videos on YouTube to see what a nightmare it is). So, Kevin, the tech, ran a long piece of solder up the hose to locate the kink/problem, measured carefully how far up the harness it was, cut the wrap, found the kink there, fixed it, verified the fix, and then resealed, fastened and buttoned things up.

They're waiting for final confirmation from Porsche (who is monitoring Taycan repairs quite closely) and the car should be back tomorrow.

So there you go: if anyone else has a similar problem in the future, hopefully Google will find this...and hopefully Porsche is going to put an additional QA test off the line to verify full airflow through all suspension feeds before giving the car the thumbs-up.

Thanks to @PanameraFrank for helping out by checking his car's reactivity to the height selections: it was good to get confirmation that operation should be quick regardless of position.
Sponsored

T-Fury

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Taycan CT4, 23 911T, 24 Rivian R1S, 71 BMW 2002
Country flag
Sorry you had to deal with all of that but the follow-up and fix is definitely appreciated in the forum.

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2019 BMW i8, 2023 BMW iXM60
Country flag
I like the "solder snake" used for measurement. Very clever!

nicos

First Name
Nico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
@dnanian I am so happy to read someone got it fixed. My car currently has the same problem and has been in repair 4 times so far, with the error coming back a few minutes after I pickup the car until about 1d after.

Is it possible for you to share at which shop you have been so I could forward their contact to my local garage?

nicos

First Name
Nico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo S
Country flag

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
It happens when going between, say, Normal and Range, or Sport + and Normal...in essence, low/very low to Normal height.
Most od the time, I drive on the lowest position and i also use Gravel button quite often.
I also use Lift mode based on stored GPS locations, but i’ve never seen such error.

nicos

First Name
Nico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
It's good if you haven't seen it. Once you have, it's hard to get rid of it...

Reactions: B61

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
Just noticed it’s a thread from 2020, but it’s good to know what do if such an error appears.
Hopefully, never.
Sponsored