LOL - My CT lost the North!

Vfr750Rouge

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4 / Cayenne / Jeep Wrangler Willys
Country flag
I just noticed (actually passenger) that the compass is .... not accurate, look nice but useless!
I guess an other bug or technical failure or you are not supposed to look the compass but drive the car.

Will fix that with the alarm, if the alarm is being fix one day...

Porsche Taycan LOL - My CT lost the North! Screen Shot 2022-01-18 at 11.31.19 AM
Sponsored

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
I just noticed (actually passenger) that the compass is .... not accurate, look nice but useless!
I guess an other bug or technical failure or you are not supposed to look the compass but drive the car.

Will fix that with the alarm, if the alarm is being fix one day...

Screen Shot 2022-01-18 at 11.31.19 AM.png
Have very same Bordeaux red :), but I have not seen it in error as yet - seems to be spot on.

Just to check - I noticed that mine basically seemed to 'boot up' (spin up to correct direction) after starting/powering up the car i.e. I wonder is the clock display a digital report of the compass and the actual reading taken from somewhere else on the car (for interference/bounding material reasons?). If correct, then obvious question, was the car fully powered up when you compared to the iPhone's compass?

OP
OP
Vfr750Rouge

Vfr750Rouge

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Have very same Bordeaux red :), but I have not seen it in error as yet - seems to be spot on.

Just to check - I noticed that mine basically seemed to 'boot up' (spin up to correct direction) after starting/powering up the car i.e. I wonder is the clock display a digital report of the compass and the actual reading taken from somewhere else on the car (for interference/bounding material reasons?). If correct, then obvious question, was the car fully powered up when you compared to the iPhone's compass?
Yes it was.
It may be due to the fact driver display and compass never shut OFF, I always see the P on the Driver display and Compass remain showing time and kinda of direction.
"funny" is...I can shut it off from PCM (car ON) does its spin to a random position, light off the screen and the time and then when with OFF the care, Compass come to "Live" with on show some direction, light the back ground and show time!
Tried to find a reset some where - nop
Tried to reset PCM - nop
Tried pull the plug like on my (SH#$%#$%) PC - can't find the plug
Porsche Service - nop (like with the Alarm, Miss fit panel, open close door)

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag

OK laughing man @fleng - and with genuine deference to your automotive career :), is my suggestion that far out?

I raced BMW GS’s off-road, mountain bikes and road bikes and it was not at all uncommon to have metal on these machines interfere with any sort of mounted mag. compass that effectively made them useless - entirely dep on proximity of ferromagnetic material and magnetized material at that of course. Electromagnetic interference from a car dash electronics if poorly shielded combined with other sources could presumably also effect a basic ‘mechanical’ compass - hence just the suggestion that the actual magnetic compass in the Porsche might be located in an area of minimal interference and via a simple circuit board relay it’s reading to a ‘digital’ (‘pseudo’-) compass readout in the cockpit.
Now of course fully appreciate most metals in our Porsches are weak to non-magnetic and that even the steel present is not nec magnetized nor strong enough if so to have a field big enough to mess with a conventional compass magnet. - more than likely answering my own question :)
But again the only reason for suggesting even this was that the Sport Chrono compass needle/readout ‘activates’ every time you power up the car - a std. stand-alone compass presumably would not?

Boss Hogg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S, 981 GT4
Country flag
My compass has been accurate so far, on the other hand my iPhone struggles now and again with GPS compared to other cars I've had (I have noise and thermal insulation glass option).

The compass not being right would drive me mad, sounds like a dealer trip :(

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
I wish the compass was an option on the regular Taycan. It feels very "road-trip" friendly.

submatrix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan
Country flag
I wish the compass was an option on the regular Taycan. It feels very "road-trip" friendly.
In case you aren't aware, you can display a digital compass in the HUD as part of the information display tube. I use it myself.

Visie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 CT 4S
Country flag
I have the same problem too…
The compass on the dash actually shows a different direction then the digital one on the instrument cluster.
The degrees shown on the compass and on the instrument cluster the same. So it looks like only the turning ring on the compass is off.
Sometimes it starts the right way, sometimes it’s wrong.
Porsche Taycan LOL - My CT lost the North! F472A26D-FA6A-402A-86DC-9029EA568C6D

02bluesuperroo

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Porsche Taycan 4s
Country flag
Yes it was.
It may be due to the fact driver display and compass never shut OFF, I always see the P on the Driver display and Compass remain showing time and kinda of direction.
I had this problem. I could always see the P and a slight glow from the instrument cluster. My sport chrono clock didn’t turn off either. Even if the car was sitting for a few days.

I had the dealer connect their computer and check for any error codes. They said there were no error codes but afterwards everything started turning off all the time. I asked if they did any kind of reset function or anything and they said no.

OP
OP
Vfr750Rouge

Vfr750Rouge

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Terminal 20 reset solve it all but the alarm.
-driver display that does no got completely off
-various display bugs with miles vs Kim’s etc…
-compass losing the ‘north’
-gps map not displaying in central driver display
-blurry hud
and maybe more but that fixed with terminal 20 reset and seems to be stable

I have the internal sensor module in order that should fix the alarm.

for the rest I just love the car!

Last edited:

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
In this day and age, why on earth would you ever need a compass in your car? Are you guys driving through uncharted territories?

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
In this day and age, why on earth would you ever need a compass in your car? Are you guys driving through uncharted territories?
I don't know about anybody else but I chose the compass since I wanted the knob on the steering wheel but not the big distracting second hand on the standard "blob" on top of the dash.

It also reminds me of old off road vehicles and I WILL be using mine of family farm tracks.

ithinkmac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'17 3, '22 4S CT, '22 MXP
Country flag
similar reasoning.

I just don't want another clock there, and yes I want the Sport Chrono package, but not the clock. And this is the best option. Gets me chrono, but also gets me an exclusive item that's only available on the CT. Win-win.

-ThinkMac-

I don't know about anybody else but I chose the compass since I wanted the knob on the steering wheel but not the big distracting second hand on the standard "blob" on top of the dash.

It also reminds me of old off road vehicles and I WILL be using mine of family farm tracks.

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
It is worth knowing that the regular ticking second hand on the clock can be switched off in the "Additional Instrument" options. When this is done, the hand moves to the 12 O'Clock position and stops ticking.

I still prefer the compass.
Sponsored