n2mb_racing

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Country flag
Great post! I'm looking forward to test driving the Turbo S! I was about to set an appointment before the coronavirus, but never got around to doing it. I currently drive a Tesla Model 3 Performance. Previously have owned a Model S P90DL and a Tesla Roadster. Looking forward to more fast electric cars!
Sponsored

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag
Great post! I'm looking forward to test driving the Turbo S! I was about to set an appointment before the coronavirus, but never got around to doing it. I currently drive a Tesla Model 3 Performance. Previously have owned a Model S P90DL and a Tesla Roadster. Looking forward to more fast electric cars!
As someone who owns a Roadster and have driven the other ones you mention the Taycan is something is. Its a different world of performance, precision and build quality. You may also enjoy the Jaguar I-Pace, it is a surprisingly fast and agile car and also more refined.

n2mb_racing

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Country flag
As someone who owns a Roadster and have driven the other ones you mention the Taycan is something is. Its a different world of performance, precision and build quality. You may also enjoy the Jaguar I-Pace, it is a surprisingly fast and agile car and also more refined.
Yeah, I almost bought the Model S P100D back in 2018, but it was before the price drop and it was something like $145k compared to ~$54k for my Model 3 Performance. The difference in performance just wasn't worth that huge price increase. Of course, now that the Model S Performance is $99k and is virtually tied in performance with the Taycan Turbo S... It's an interesting time! I am also waiting for the new Roadster. I had to sell my old roadster because we had a baby. I need something with a back seat, even if it is a tiny one!

SRQ661

First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
You just put into words my exact experience last week test driving a turbo S and a 4S. I honestly went in thinking it would be an inferior experience with the 4S, but I was still laughing aloud and thinking it was wonderful. The launch control on the 4S still left my scalp tingling! I’m coming from an Audi RS3 with similar acceleration times to the 4S, but the electric experience is just so fundamentally different that it made me conclude it‘s an immense upgrade and not just a lateral move. For me the Taycan will be a daily driver and the 4S will be much more than enough!
I’ll be coming to a 4S from an Audi RS5 - hopefully in late August. Can’t wait!

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yeah, I almost bought the Model S P100D back in 2018, but it was before the price drop and it was something like $145k compared to ~$54k for my Model 3 Performance. The difference in performance just wasn't worth that huge price increase. Of course, now that the Model S Performance is $99k and is virtually tied in performance with the Taycan Turbo S... It's an interesting time! I am also waiting for the new Roadster. I had to sell my old roadster because we had a baby. I need something with a back seat, even if it is a tiny one!
Well I am not sure that MSP is virtually tied. I think it may be close in a straight line drag race, but that would be with temperature prep and maybe on one or two runs before thermals kick in. Also I am pretty sure on a track it would not keep up. The reason I prefer the I-Pace and Taycan is because they maintain their performance. They are not designed beyond the thermal and long term performance limits. Also in my opinion there is no comparison between the driving characteristics of the Teslas (except the Roadster but that is a out of balance Lotus anyway) and the Porsche or even the Jaguar. These are more drivers cars with a complete approach to performance. And both are more fun to drive.

I’ll be coming to a 4S from an Audi RS5 - hopefully in late August. Can’t wait!
Thats a great car to drive. But what a world of difference! Have you had any electric cars before?

n2mb_racing

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Country flag
Well I am not sure that MSP is virtually tied. I think it may be close in a straight line drag race, but that would be with temperature prep and maybe on one or two runs before thermals kick in. Also I am pretty sure on a track it would not keep up. The reason I prefer the I-Pace and Taycan is because they maintain their performance. They are not designed beyond the thermal and long term performance limits. Also in my opinion there is no comparison between the driving characteristics of the Teslas (except the Roadster but that is a out of balance Lotus anyway) and the Porsche or even the Jaguar. These are more drivers cars with a complete approach to performance. And both are more fun to drive.

Thats a great car to drive. But what a world of difference! Have you had any electric cars before?
https://carbuzz.com/news/porsche-ta...nce-fastest-sedans-in-the-world-battle-it-out

I've flogged the Model 3 Performance on a track for 22 miles with track mode enabled and it never hit the thermal limits. I drove three sessions, 20 min / 22 mi each, until I ran out of battery. :) Yes, you can reduce a car with 300 mile range to just over 60 miles of range driving hard enough!

I also drove the Model S hard back to back on the Tail of the Dragon until the battery was dead and didn't run into any thermal limiting. The new software on the S is supposed to be even better.

But, yes, I'm excited to test drive the Taycan and see!

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
https://carbuzz.com/news/porsche-ta...nce-fastest-sedans-in-the-world-battle-it-out

I've flogged the Model 3 Performance on a track for 22 miles with track mode enabled and it never hit the thermal limits. I drove three sessions, 20 min / 22 mi each, until I ran out of battery. :) Yes, you can reduce a car with 300 mile range to just over 60 miles of range driving hard enough!

I also drove the Model S hard back to back on the Tail of the Dragon until the battery was dead and didn't run into any thermal limiting. The new software on the S is supposed to be even better.

But, yes, I'm excited to test drive the Taycan and see!
Yes I am quite aware of the latest test by Brooks, after the Cheetah update. That does handle a lot of reproducibility. But as far as reliable performance you should check out the Model X Performance video showing Cheetah, after 10 runs front axel vibration so bad he was in fear to get home and safety at 120mph.

If all you are looking for is straight line performance it would be had to ever justify going beyond a S100DL (or however it's said now). But I see that you have track experience too so there is where I trust you will see a clear difference.

Hope you get a chance to test drive it soon and take on more than straight roads.

Last edited:

n2mb_racing

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Country flag
Yes I am quite aware of the latest test by Brooks, after the Cheetah update. That does handle a lot of reproducibility. But as far as reliable performance you should check out the Model X Performance video showing Cheetah, after 10 runs front axel vibration so bad he was in fear to get home and safety at 120mph.

If all you are looking for is straight line performance it would be had to ever justify going beyond a S100DL (or however it's said now). But I see that you have track experience too so there is where I trust you will see a clear difference.

Hope you get a chance to test drive it soon and take on more than straight roads.
Yeah, the Model X has some unique drive shaft problems in the front. They are bad. The Model S has different driveshafts that don't suffer from the same issues.

It will be interesting when the track mode from the Model 3 makes it over to the Model S... Right now the Model 3 is the better track car and Model S is the better drag car. The Taycan Turbo S seems to do great at both.

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
My personal observation has been that on all the various non Roadster Teslas the entire drivetrain is never designed for the full load that the electric motor puts on the chassis/wheels. I still remember that the original performance Model S wheels would constantly go out of camber and they kept "upgrading" the parts to fix it. I do not believe Tesla has the expertise nor the care to actually design a car from the ground up to meet the power they throw at it. Yes the M3P is "better" but that is not the same as a true sport car designed properly from the ground up, with all the years of expertise behind it (like Porsche or Jaguar or one day Audi).

In my opinion Tesla is a good basic American sedan souped up to go straight as a trick. And you won't see all the thermal issues because it is happening underneath, try doing repeated launches on any Tesla. And they seem pretty ok with overdriving the parts to hit specmanship or to compete. That is why there are longevity or repeated drivetrain issues.

Of all the electric cars I have owned I have never gotten the Model S or Model 3 performance. The feel of the drive is off, they are not real sports cars. I never owned a Porsche before and the minute I drove it I got the Taycan as I could tell it was a true sports car. The same with the Jaguar I Pace.

There was a pro driver whos quote was perfect, Teslas are cars for people who don't actually like to drive.

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
...snip...

There was a pro driver whos quote was perfect, Teslas are cars for people who don't actually like to drive.
I remember that quote all so well and enjoyed it. I think it was Harris?

n2mb_racing

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Country flag
My personal observation has been that on all the various non Roadster Teslas the entire drivetrain is never designed for the full load that the electric motor puts on the chassis/wheels. I still remember that the original performance Model S wheels would constantly go out of camber and they kept "upgrading" the parts to fix it. I do not believe Tesla has the expertise nor the care to actually design a car from the ground up to meet the power they throw at it. Yes the M3P is "better" but that is not the same as a true sport car designed properly from the ground up, with all the years of expertise behind it (like Porsche or Jaguar or one day Audi).

In my opinion Tesla is a good basic American sedan souped up to go straight as a trick. And you won't see all the thermal issues because it is happening underneath, try doing repeated launches on any Tesla. And they seem pretty ok with overdriving the parts to hit specmanship or to compete. That is why there are longevity or repeated drivetrain issues.

Of all the electric cars I have owned I have never gotten the Model S or Model 3 performance. The feel of the drive is off, they are not real sports cars. I never owned a Porsche before and the minute I drove it I got the Taycan as I could tell it was a true sports car. The same with the Jaguar I Pace.

The iPace is an SUV? I can't imagine it's fun to drive, but I haven't driven one...

I'll see when I drive the Taycan... It should be fun. :)

svp6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S
Country flag
The iPace is an SUV? I can't imagine it's fun to drive, but I haven't driven one...

Jaguar dealership is just next to Porsche. I drove back to back my wife's model 3 performance (going in), the Taycan Turbo in sports mode, and the Jag; next morning I drove the Audi e-tron from our local dealer. I expected the Taycan to be really good, and it was. I did not expect the Jag to be as good as it was. Still, I do not like the feeling of seating that high above the road - I never convinced myself to get an SUV. The e-tron is very plush inside, but the least sporty. After that, it was clearly the Taycan. I loved all our 3 previous Tesla's, but I am ready for something more refined. Taycan is probably the trick.

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

I-Pace is a crossover not an SUV, and it is shockingly fun to drive and very capable. You know what they say, don't knock it till you try it.

It is surprisingly sporty and fun, but its no Taycan. But I would take it any day over the Tesla.

Last edited:

dryii

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2018 Tesla Model 3, 2015 Porsche Macan Turbo
Country flag
Go out and test drive a Macan S or Turbo. It might change your mind regarding SUVs being fun to drive. It's a great vehicle.

boyko23

First Name
Boyko
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M4
Country flag
I was also surprised how good the I-Pace was. Fast even in the upper range, agile enough, even the sound was pleasant...
Only downside were the brakes - strange and awful, imv!
Sponsored