Looking for home charging advice for on the way Taycan. I can go to 100A but should I?

Windpower

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, BMW X3, Taycan RWD Coffee
Country flag
Today my electrician and I maxed out the load at the house and recorded 66 amps. So I can add a dedicated 100 amp circuit for the Taycan and still be safely under 200 A.
The install in the garage would be fairly straightforward as my meter base is mounted on exterior garage wall and the panel is on the same wall inside the garage about three feet away.
Originally I was just going to go NEMA 50 with the PMCC at 9.6 but the throttling and my ability to go up to 19.2 have convinced me to hardwire a charger.
Perhaps back up a step and consider your actual charging needs.
+1 on backing up and thinking about your charging needs.

There are three things all EV installs need to consider:
- how much power you can spare for EV changing. The way to do this is by doing a load calculation on your house. I had an electrical engineer do this for me on my last house renovation. I have 100 amp service and I have 40 amps dedicated to EV charging and have my EVSE dialed down to 32 amps. It sounds like you can spare 100 amps for EV charging. Good!
- how many miles per day do you drive and how often do you want to charge. If you're not driving a lot per day, in most cases you can charge overnight so the amount of 'amps' you need is pretty low. I charge once a week and over night charging works fine with my 32amp EVSE.
- how many EVs do you think you'll eventually have. When buying an EVSE, if you plan to have multiple EVs, its best to get one with load sharing for multiple EVs.

I always suggest putting in the largest power possible for EV charging, not because you'll need this power for one car but in the case where you have multiple EVs. I ran 6 gauge THHN in conduit to my garage so that I'm prepared for the future. Running new wires for EV changing is something you really don't want to do more than once. Its normally a messy job.

Bottom line: run bigger wires but go with a slower EVSE. I don't see much need for 80 amp charging unless you're an Uber driver. But running power line to support 80 amps might make sense for the future.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Surlymcm

Surlymcm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4 CT soon
Country flag
Changing out power cords got me wondering if these guys could put a longer cord on the Porsche charger? I reached out to them. Will report what I hear. Could it be this easy?

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
which cord?

supply cable?

or

to vehicle cable?

I know porsche sells the J-1772 cable 25ft' for like $800'ish as a service part for the PMCC - at that point I'd just purchase some one else's EVSE and be done with it and save $300 or more

OP
OP
Surlymcm

Surlymcm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4 CT soon
Country flag
which cord?

supply cable?

or

to vehicle cable?

I know porsche sells the J-1772 cable 25ft' for like $800'ish as a service part for the PMCC - at that point I'd just purchase some one else's EVSE and be done with it and save $300 or more

OP
OP
Surlymcm

Surlymcm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4 CT soon
Country flag
Changing cord to car. Easy to say buy someone else's charger but 100 A options are very limited. As far as I can tell it's clipper creek at $ 2,200, porsche at $ 1,586 plus cord conversion or lucid at $ 1,200 if/when available. Am i missing any?

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
does Ford have a 100 amp EVSE?

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
$1310 for the Ford bidirectional charger - but it's a CCS charger (for the vehicle to home option) so could only use the passenger side port

OP
OP
Surlymcm

Surlymcm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4 CT soon
Country flag
Thanks. They only show the 48 on their main website.

OP
OP
Surlymcm

Surlymcm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4 CT soon
Country flag
I was still procrastinating on this. Then I saw the wall charger had been discounted. Electrician and I have come up with a mounting plan (through bolt on the side of my garage cabinets with conduit above cabinets and out of sight) and I just pulled the trigger. TYD now telling me 12/30. Will post pics of the install. Thanks all for the input.
Sponsored