Looking to buy, but how worried should I be about this 12V issue....

Mile2424

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S (coming soon)
Country flag
Seems like about 25% of people have had some issues with is. Has this been narrowed down to certain production months, or is it completely random?
Sponsored

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
it's happened to me once since purchase in July - it happens - but not a lot - I'm hoping future software updates make it even less of an issue as I've been told Porsche is working on fixing the drain issue - we'll see.

that being said - I still have my 12V booster with me in the vehicle so I can self recover.

OP
OP

Mile2424

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S (coming soon)
Country flag
it's happened to me once since purchase in July - it happens - but not a lot - I'm hoping future software updates make it even less of an issue as I've been told Porsche is working on fixing the drain issue - we'll see.

that being said - I still have my 12V booster with me in the vehicle so I can self recover.
That's not too bad I suppose, but still seems a little unknown if and when it's going to happen. Good to know. I wonder if 2021 model year cars will have any differences with this issue, or if it's just a software update they are hoping is going to fix it eventually.

JacobDK

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
Don’t worry - buy the car and enjoy it. But avoid the use og the App untill the 12V issue is fixed ;)

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
No 12V issues since my delivery mid-October. However, I try to avoid using the Porsche Connect app and have no timed charging profiles or any pre-heating or cooling in such profiles.

rquinton

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911, Porsche Taycan 4S (March 2021 arrival date PECATL), 2021 Porsche Cayenne GTS
Country flag

PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
You have zero to worry about as long as you avoid using Porsche Connect. You're really not missing out on the app, anyway, as it sucks. Car works just fine without it.

My car is over 4k miles with zero issues whatsoever. I do not have Porsche Connect even installed.

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag
All I can say whatever it is I do differently I have not had a 12v issue.

H@wk

First Name
H
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+, BMW 530XD, BMW 320I cab
Country flag
Second time in 3 weeks now, and didn't even open the app, so don't really see any connection with that. But we're all just theorizing at the moment. Don't think even Porsche really knows...

raymort

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo 2020
Country flag
Seems like about 25% of people have had some issues with is. Has this been narrowed down to certain production months, or is it completely random?
I haven’t had any issues with 12v

They checked the drain issue per recall. Took no time at all.

RRVV17

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, GLS580
Country flag
No 12V issues since my delivery mid-October. However, I try to avoid using the Porsche Connect app and have no timed charging profiles or any pre-heating or cooling in such profiles.
I have had my car since July. No issues whatsoever with 12V drain. I do use charge profiles. I also have the Porsche Connect app installed. I sometimes toggle between direct charge on/off and charging profile, but always via the center console in the car and never on the app based on my awareness of all related threads on this forum.

chuckster

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 21 4s , Cayenne, Cayenne Diesel, MB 350
Country flag

I read that a 12v lithium charger is not recommended. What type of booster are you using?

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
2700 miles since April, one 12V battery dead issue (and I'm pretty sure I used the app while charging to change the target charge level in a timer - that seems to be a big no-no). Granted I spent mid-October until early December with non-working vehicle comms (failed OTA module) and bad Porsche ID - but I have both a profile and a timer in use and have charged many times without issue - just the one issue where I did something that seems to be problematic for others as well.

Arno

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo S & Tesla Model-S 100D
Country flag
I haven´t had any 12V issues on my august delivery on my Turbo S, and I love my new Porsche. Only encountered a few hiccups and rebootings once in awhile from the onboard system computer, which is kind of normal for any modern heavily equipped vehicle.

I wouldn’t worry about this, if you like the Taycan go ahead with the purchase - Porsche as manufacturer with great renommé and history will definitely fix any issue both software and hardware if and when necessary.

Further more, a little bird informed that there will be launched a bigger software update during spring 2021, and that’s great news also, which will open up the software additions the 2021 model already have . . . and then some ;)
Sponsored