Looking to buy, but how worried should I be about this 12V issue....

r553

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
981 Spyder, 2015 Cayenne Diesel, 2020 Taycan 4s
Country flag
So far so good with my 2020 4 S. 2600 miles since August. Charging with PMCC or Electrify America. Not using the App during charging.
Sponsored

Snowbird

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 turbo — Taycan turbo S
Country flag
Honestly, feel lucky I have a loaner as some Taycan owners who have the 12V issue were not given a loaner because loaners weren’t available.
because the land borders are closed between canada and the usa, i was not able to get to florida with my Taycan. luckily we could take the plane. before leaving Canada my 12 volt battery was dead. my excellent dealer sent a technician with a Macan and I used it during testing. A few days later, they offered me a hybrid panamera, while waiting. I preferred to wait. after a week of testing, my dealer offered to buy back my Taycan Turbo S or exchange it for another, or choose any other model. i decided to give porsche a chance until my return in a few months. the car being stored for a few months. they gave me a free Porsche charger, to reactivate the battery when I returned, if needed. if I had difficulty, a technician would come to my house. I wish you will have a dealer like mine.

with the charger, they gave me a kit for charging the 12 volts battery directly in case of .....

Porsche Taycan Looking to buy, but how worried should I be about this 12V issue.... 3666794B-767B-4B53-9C91-CB8BDB3B0374

Last edited:

NaiM5

First Name
Nai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
992.1 Turbo S, '20 Taycan Turbo, 997.2 GT3, E39 M5
Country flag
Which battery/jumper do you use? All the jump instructions i've seen state not to use Lithium Ion jump starters in no uncertain language.
This little guy. Pretty useful.

Porsche Taycan Looking to buy, but how worried should I be about this 12V issue.... 923AD787-DDCC-40CB-80BC-5E22EFA11698

struther

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan GTR, Nissan 350z
Country flag
because the land borders are closed between canada and the usa, i was not able to get to florida with my Taycan. luckily we could take the plane. before leaving Canada my 12 volt battery was dead. my excellent dealer sent a technician with a Macan and I used it during testing. A few days later, they offered me a hybrid panamera, while waiting. I preferred to wait. after a week of testing, my dealer offered to buy back my Taycan Turbo S or exchange it for another, or choose any other model. i decided to give porsche a chance until my return in a few months. the car being stored for a few months. they gave me a free Porsche charger, to reactivate the battery when I returned, if needed. if I had difficulty, a technician would come to my house. I wish you will have a dealer like mine.

with the charger, they gave me a kit for charging the 12 volts battery directly in case of .....

3666794B-767B-4B53-9C91-CB8BDB3B0374.jpeg
Which dealer if you don’t mind saying? Sounds like the type of service one should expect from Porsche. I was offered a loaner when I took my GTR to a Nissan dealer for its annual service and that was only a few hour job.

Snowbird

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 turbo — Taycan turbo S
Country flag
Which dealer if you don’t mind saying? Sounds like the type of service one should expect from Porsche. I was offered a loaner when I took my GTR to a Nissan dealer for its annual service and that was only a few hour job.
My dealer is. Porsche Lauzon in Laval Qc.

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Seems like about 25% of people have had some issues with is. Has this been narrowed down to certain production months, or is it completely random?
My dealer told me they had at least 2 Taycans with a dead 12v battery so it seems pretty common. I believe it happens to people who use charging profiles with timers. I personally use direct charge without timers and hopefully it will not happen. I also uninstalled the app from my phone.

However, that is the least of my concerns. My biggest problem is rattles from various trims. The build quality looks worst than my ex Macan and various Cayennes I have driven. There is a lot of cheap hard plastic. There are many owners in this forum and on FB groups complaining about rattles that the dealers can't resolve.

Software also has many bugs. I often get warnings about some assist system not working and other little glitches that self resolve but are still annoying when they happen in such an expensive car.

On the positive side, suspension and handling is great for such a heavy car. The car does not feel faster than a Tesla 3/Y but it certainly drives way better on every sense. I also like the steering feel. It is as good as it gets with electric assist steering.
It also looks amazing and it turns many heads. The other day a BMW M3 owner slowed down to take a look.

Last edited:

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I believe it happens to people who use charging profiles with timers.
I've had the issue once, but I've had both a profile and timers for 7 months and only had the issue once. I think it's perhaps more accurate(?) to say that it happens to people who use the app to access the car or change timers or profiles while the car is connected to the charger. The one time it happened to me, I had done exactly that. Still, it is annoying that you can't use this functionality with the threat of being bitten by this issue.

Software also has many bugs. I often get warnings about some assist system not working and other little glitches that self resolve but are still annoying when they happen in such an expensive car.
100% agree

On the positive side, suspension and handling is great for such a heavy car. The car does not feel faster than a Tesla 3/Y but it certainly drives way better on every sense. I also like the steering feel. It is as good as it gets with electric assist steering.
It also looks amazing and it turns many heads. The other day a BMW M3 owner slowed down to take a look.
Mostly agree here - haven't driven a Tesla 3/Y but came from a Model S P85 and have driven P100D with ludicrous mode and the Taycan feels faster, but more than feeling faster, it instills a sense of confidence and "sure-footedness" that is uncanny for a 5000 lb car. However, throw it into a corner too fast and you will quickly be reminded of the heft. It's unavoidable, but also remarkable how well it drives and handles for such a heavy car.

If you have faith that Porsche will solve this 12V problem on their flagship new technology platform, then buy one now. It's worth it for the drive. It would be a shame to miss out on all the miles you could have driven in a Taycan because you waited or bought something else.

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag
I think it’s unknown, I only use app for profiles and timers, I always have car plugged in so I can remotely start a charge or get car ready for trip. I do have a the default profile on and set to min charge of 40%.

not had the 12v battery issue yet, but I also did just have a bunch of updates and campaigns done to the car.

RG2020

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Golf R Estate, Golf VR6, Corrado VR6
Country flag
I’ve not had the 12v issue. 2020 model and the last time I charged it I setup a charging profile for the first time, whilst the car was charging, via the connect app.

If I’d have seen all this I’d never have done it. But kind of glad I did, because this didn’t cause the problem for me.

Probably just lucky. Think I’ll delete the charging profile for now!

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
In general I feel the car was released with more problems than it should for such an expensive car and possibly without the right engineering team to quickly resolve them.

OP if you are worried maybe you should wait for about a year. With the cross turismo and the Audi etron gt coming out in 2021, there will be more cars with the same platform on the street and hopefully most problems will be ironed out by then.

Last edited:

wmras

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TS, GT4 (sold), Macan Turbo, Cayman SBE 987.18
Country flag
In general I feel the car was released with more problems than it should for such an expensive car and without a strong engineering team to quickly resolve them.

OP if you are worried maybe you should wait for about a year. With the cross turismo and the Audi etron gt coming out in 2021, there will be more cars with the same platform on the street and hopefully most problems will be ironed out by then.
The Taycan had a strong engineering team, partially from the 918 team, however, their focus was performance (yay!), not electronic marketing gadgets. We are now paying the price of enthusiastic marketing people directing engineering. It will resolve itself but may take awhile. COVID-19 did not help.

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
The Taycan had a strong engineering team, partially from the 918 team, however, their focus was performance (yay!), not electronic marketing gadgets. We are now paying the price of enthusiastic marketing people directing engineering. It will resolve itself but may take awhile. COVID-19 did not help.
I don't consider the charging or the powertrain software as marketing gadgets. They are essential for the operation of the car.
The 12v battery issue, numerous reports of electrical faults and Taycans stalling while driving are concerning for a premium car. And even though these issues are known for 6+ months they have not resolved them yet.

Last edited:

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I’ve not had the 12v issue. 2020 model and the last time I charged it I setup a charging profile for the first time, whilst the car was charging, via the connect app.

If I’d have seen all this I’d never have done it. But kind of glad I did, because this didn’t cause the problem for me.

Probably just lucky. Think I’ll delete the charging profile for now!
I don't think the profile (or timer) is the cause. I think accessing the car to make changes to a profile or timer while connected to the charger is the cause. So you are probably fine, even if you got lucky that time you were using the app to create the profile.

All in my non-expert-just-another-owner opinion.

Chuck J

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Silver Taycan 4S, 2012 991 911 (sold), 1995 993 (Gave to son) 1965 356 (gave to son)
Country flag
I keep a jump starter in my car and don't use the Connect app for anything other than to look at the state of charge. I do not set profiles or anything else with it and I haven't had any problems since I have owned it for the past 6 months.

Chuck J

DenverDG

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S, 2017 Tesla S 100D
Country flag
it's happened to me once since purchase in July - it happens - but not a lot - I'm hoping future software updates make it even less of an issue as I've been told Porsche is working on fixing the drain issue - we'll see.

that being said - I still have my 12V booster with me in the vehicle so I can self recover.
Hey Dave, my 4S bricked last week and is in the shop. Am curious what 12V booster you purchased, and if you have used it yet?
Sponsored