Loose gravel/rock noise w/ Michelin Pilot Super Sport 4s?

kawazydude

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
Hi everyone,

I recently upgraded wheels and tires from my 20” Turbo Aero on all season Conti Procontact RX to 21” Mission E on Michelin Pilot Super Sport 4S summer tires. While I love the extra grip and stickiness of the summer tires, I immediately noticed how my new tires/wheels started picking up so much loose gravel and rocks whenever I’m driving anywhere (I live in Los Angeles) and I constantly hear the clanking noise of the rocks hitting the inside of my wheel well. My turbo aero wheels on the all seasons never did this and was completely silent with regard to loose gravel and rock noise. At first I thought it was an issue with the Mission E wheels given how the wheels are more open. But my body shop guy said it’s almost certainly the stickiness of the tires. Anyone else have this issue with loose gravel/rock noise?

I should mention that I’ve had high performance summer tires before, including this exact same tire (the Michelin Pilot Super Sport 4S) on my previous car (an Audi RS7), but never really noticed this rock noise issue, at least not to this degree. But maybe it’s because I never had the complete silence of rock noises from having all season tires on the RS7 to compare to because I only had summer tires on that car.
Sponsored

driver69

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S 2021
Country flag
Yup, same here. 21” Mission E with Goodyear Eagle F1. These things pick up everything and are veeeery loud. But I love the looks, love the grip they give, so I’m totally ok with it. Oh and if you don’t have PPF - get it instantly. Rear bumper and rear doors with quarters will be shredded otherwise.