Lotus Eletre

Midlifecrisis

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Taycan 4S (sold). Macan SD (sold)
Country flag
Maybe I was a little harsh with the word "crude" but every ICE car I've driven since buying a Taycan has seemed crude/last century. And in fairness, the loaner Porsche gave me is the base Macan 4 cylinder with spring suspension. Literally every expansion joint and minor road imperfection is felt. It is a really harsh ride in comparison to the Taycan. It would be tough to drive this thing on a long road trip. The other thing that bothered me was the noise. It is a 4-cylinder yet Porsche tuned the sound to emulate something else. It is hysterical the way the car gurgles when idling as if there is something really big under the hood, and once underway there is plenty of tire and wind noise going on as well. But it is a really cool looking SUV and if I had to have a gas SUV and/or station wagon, it would probably do the job. I get the fact that it is a sports car first and an SUV second, but new EV SUVs are raising the bar, so Porsche will need to up its refinement game on the Macan EV. I know Porsche can do it, but I'm not sure they can do it and still sell the car in that $70-80K sweet spot.
Really? The brand is so popular that I expect that once it has been on sale for 3 months the wait for a new one will be 12 months or longer. We will see!
Sponsored

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
Maybe I was a little harsh with the word "crude" but every ICE car I've driven since buying a Taycan has seemed crude/last century.
Have you driven a modern 911? Lexus? MB S-class? My '21 Cayenne GTS is incredibly fun to drive providing smooth traffic and road trip transport + unreal SUV handling, power and sound when throwing into turns.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
Have you driven a modern 911? Lexus? MB S-class? My '21 Cayenne GTS is incredibly fun to drive providing smooth traffic and road trip transport + unreal SUV handling, power and sound when throwing into turns.
your cayanne is a far better car than a base macan is

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
your cayanne is a far better car than a base macan is
Agreed but his implying every ICE car is crude is really out there.

Tsingtao

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toucan RWD
Country flag
Have not driven in a modern 911. I'm sure that they are nice, and I am sure that, like their Macan brethren, they are noisy and have last-century tachometers stuck front and center on their dashboards. ;)

Schn3ll

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Panamera e-hybrid, 2018 Carrera T, 2012 Volt
Country flag
only 39 Lotus dealers in the US is a huge deal-breaker for me. There was a Lotus dealer within 20 minutes from me, but sadly they have closed since Covid. This lack of service network keeps me far away from cars like a Lotus, Rivian, Tesla, or any of the new startups that seem fly-by-night.

Many car companies in the EV space are sitting on very shaky ground and it's a shock to me that some people are willing to pay $100k+ on a product that you don't know will have support in a year's time. You could have a giant, expensive paperweight if some of these companies cannot support the product after imploding. Sadly, I see Lotus following this trend, it was once a great company with a laser focus but now it's just another Chinese made tech company.

RingoDingo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Have not driven in a modern 911. I'm sure that they are nice, and I am sure that, like their Macan brethren, they are noisy and have last-century tachometers stuck front and center on their dashboards. ;)
Put me in this camp. Ever since I’ve gone electric I’ve become unimpressed by ICE cars, by and large. I’ll still turn my head for a Boxster Spyder or a GT3, but I just spent an hour last night watching a guy on YouTube break down a 911 Turbo engine, and all I thought was what a complicated and messy thing combustion engines are. Oil and buildup everywhere. Maybe I’m naive about the relative simplicity of electric drivetrains, but ICE always feel like a move backwards in time.

Schn3ll

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Panamera e-hybrid, 2018 Carrera T, 2012 Volt
Country flag
Put me in this camp. Ever since I’ve gone electric I’ve become unimpressed by ICE cars, by and large. I’ll still turn my head for a Boxster Spyder or a GT3, but I just spent an hour last night watching a guy on YouTube break down a 911 Turbo engine, and all I thought was what a complicated and messy thing combustion engines are. Oil and buildup everywhere. Maybe I’m naive about the relative simplicity of electric drivetrains, but ICE always feel like a move backwards in time.
You want to talk about complexity, 3 out of my last 4 car purchases have been plug-in hybrids. I've been lucky with the reliability but I think I'm ready to go full EV now. Just so used to never gassing up now.

Tsingtao

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toucan RWD
Country flag
Couldn't agree more, all ICE vehicles, no matter the level of refinement, are relics of the past. Noisy, messy, polluting mechanical contraptions. They served their purpose, but now it is time to leave the past in the past.
Sponsored