Louisiana Considering Annual Road Fee For EVs and Hybrids

PNWTaycan4S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘91 Polar Silver 964, ‘20 Dolomite Silver Taycan 4S, ‘19 Gravity Blue Nero EV
Country flag
Currently $150 a year on top of registration in Washington State. Similar to what a fossil car would pay in gas tax, based upon about 10k miles a year.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
all vehicles should pay road tax based on miles driven + weight - that way a gas car will pay the same road tax as a EV - and leave the taxes out of the 'fuels' - at least that's my opinion…

OP
OP

Wakesurfer

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, 2023 YukonXL, 2024 Macan S
Country flag
all vehicles should pay road tax based on miles driven + weight - that way a gas car will pay the same road tax as a EV - and leave the taxes out of the 'fuels' - at least that's my opinion…
My guess is that it will be an imperfect system with different states addressing the 'use' tax in different ways. When you think about it the use of fuel by lawn companies, farming, boating, etc., includes a roadway 'use' tax when those activities never actually hit the road. As the nation transitions away from fossil fuels there will be an overall loss of tax revenue that will need to be made up from somewhere, and it should be based on something measurable like mileage/weight. A flat fee, like Louisiana's proposal is a first attempt that does not recognize the actual use of a vehicle in the same manor that current fuel taxes do. And it will be irritating...........while we are aware that the price for fuel includes taxes we just look at the cost per gallon and move on. An actual charge on your vehicle registration is much more obvious. No question that it must be paid, but an actual charge is going to be front and center.
Sponsored