Love my Taycan...but not having fun.

LovinTaycan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan and 2019 Mercedes S560V
Country flag
I have had my car for less than a week.

I love how my car looks, I love how it drives.

I am no stranger, unfortunately, to issues with my car. I have had it less than a week and today it went to the dealer for the third time.

My issues are/were:

1. Numerous electrical and system failure warnings saying the car needed service.
2. The Wi-Fi failed twice and had to be reset and/or re-programed, not really sure.
3. Today, my passenger screen, see below. UGH.

I sure hope this stops, didn't sign up for this.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
my passenger screen does that also - it fixed itself after the car was off for 15 minutes - I’ve also had both screens go offline - but they came back after the car was off and sat for a while…

more problems so far than I’ve had with any of my Tesla’s.

OP
OP
LovinTaycan

LovinTaycan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
my passenger screen does that also - it fixed itself after the car was off for 15 minutes - I’ve also had both screens go offline - but they came back after the car was off and sat for a while…

Did it come back again, are you continuing to have other types of problems?

HelfFL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag

I've experienced this as well - both screens go offline, but they do come back as @daveo4EV said. It's only happened to me 2x in 4 months though.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
yes the passenger screen comes back - at least that‘s been my experience

so far I’ve had
  • dead 12V problem
  • dead main screen - self repair
  • dead passenger screen - self repair
  • anominallies regarding various sytems that clear themselves
  • failed to charge overnight
  • replaced panoroof glass
  • rattle on certain rough roads on the driver’s side rear door
  • long time for the PCM to wake up
  • Innodrive problems with rapid deceleration for no obviously reason
  • many many failed fast DC charging sessions
    • car has a particular problem releaseing the charging connector at the end of the sessioin
yeah it’s been far from perfect.

OP
OP
LovinTaycan

LovinTaycan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
yes the passenger screen comes back - at least that‘s been my experience

so far I’ve had
  • dead 12V problem
  • dead main screen - self repair
  • dead passenger screen - self repair
  • anominallies regarding various sytems that clear themselves
  • failed to charge overnight
  • replaced panoroof glass
  • rattle on certain rough roads on the driver’s side rear door
  • long time for the PCM to wake up
  • Innodrive problems with rapid deceleration for no obviously reason
  • many many failed fast DC charging sessions
    • car has a particular problem releaseing the charging connector at the end of the sessioin
yeah it’s been far from perfect.
Ouch...sorry to hear all of this.

Schlossj

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Man you guys are killing my vibe...maybe it’s best my car is “stuck” in customs...

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
@Schlossj your car will be great and overall it’s a keeper

but I refuse to take any sh*t from anyone in the future that wishes to discuss how bad Tesla‘s are and Porsche would “never do that sort of crap” - we have evidence to the contrary

my attitude is that cars are complex things, none are perfect, and all manufactures have their share of defects - Tesla gets an outsize amount of coverage that overwhelms the senses about their “problems” - and I wil lnever argue they are perfect or could not use a vast improvement...

but honestly all these guys have problems and it’s best not to dwell on them

overall we are all very fortunate to be in the positions we are to even have these conversations - and in the grand scheme of things it’s all going to fine...

but please please don’t tell me any brand is better than another - they all have their pro’s and con’s and how they respond to problem.

KensingtonPark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S; 2023 Audi eTron S Sportbck
Country flag

but I refuse to take any sh*t from anyone in the future that wishes to discuss how bad Tesla‘s are and Porsche would “never do that sort of crap” - we have evidence to the contrary

my attitude is that cars are complex things, none are perfect, and all manufactures have their share of defects - Tesla gets an outsize amount of coverage that overwhelms the senses about their “problems” - and I wil lnever argue they are perfect or could not use a vast improvement...

overall we are all very fortunate to be in the positions we are to even have these conversations - and in the grand scheme of things it’s all going to fine...

but please please don’t tell me any brand is better than another - they all have their pro’s and con’s and how they respond to problem.
Agree! I love the Teslas (except the Model X, which I think is trying too hard with its Falcon wings). As the naked frunk photo showed, EVs are complicated and new. Lots to work out. I was actually more surprised by the 12V problems because others have also had issues in this space. I would expect a bunch of other weird unanticipated problems.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
Man you guys are killing my vibe...maybe it’s best my car is “stuck” in customs...
Don't listen to this t-fanboys! My Taycan drives amazing, if I need tech I go and buy a new phone.

jimithing

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Macan Turbo, 2014 Panamera GTS
Country flag

Other than a faulty 12V batch (or bad logic causing it to drain), these are all tech/infotainment issues, which Porsche is known to suck at. Last month they bricked the PCM on my Panamera with a satellite radio/firmware issue and they had to put in a whole new unit. I wish they were better but they aren't, and most of us have made the decision that the car part of the car is most important.

The issues non-Tesla owners make fun of Tesla about are serious manufacturing and/or safety issues. Control arms that snap and cause the wheels to break off on Model S, bumpers falling off Model 3, water leaks in Model Y. The MCU eMMC issue is horrendous as well since everything the car does relies on it. And the network outage last week that caused of Tesla owners to not be able to use SuperChargers and in many cases, not even be able to get into the car.

If you haven't experienced any of these, be happy that you've been so lucky. Tesla's failure to issue a recall on the control arms is criminal negligence. There's no other way to put it.

Mouse House

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
New Balance 1500 v6
Country flag
Cast aluminium control arms is either complete incompetence in engineering or possibly just complete QA incompetence (if the supplier has scammed them on the part).

Mouse House

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
New Balance 1500 v6
Country flag
Though of course not wishing to minimise daveo4ev's points about these issues in what is meant to be a very high end car.

I'm not quite sure how I feel about the balance between expecting a very polished product, and recognising that this is a first year of an entirety new type of car for Porsche.

Taycanturbolondon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Sorry to hear that.

Every forum for whichever car I own shows a host of issues present. Nothing however is worse than a Range Rover sport SVR (mine was stolen) in reality but the forum world shows less issue as expectations are low to begin with.

I think there will be a percentage of ‘issue’ cars with any manufacturer and it’s sad when any owner has when an owner has to deal with this. Just have to hope that the dealer is decent and rectify all the issues

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
There is likely a some issues with a completely new car model. And when the step is as large as from an ICE car to a fully electric, then it will be even worse. There are several of the new Polestar 2 in Sweden and Norway that have reported 12 volt issues with dead cars and bricked. Tesla have had these issues as well earlier.

I absolutely agree it all depends on how the Manufacturer deals with these issues upfront. The dealers are in a very unfortunate spot since they hardly got any training for the cars if they normally sell ICE models. And I have very little confidence about the Volkswagen Group addressing these issues. The new ID3 is launched but not with complete SW. Taycan is quite Bad with SW. And Audi is also in a bad shape. Check the video of this guy! The car is not even watertight! And Audi and the dealer just do not address the issues.

Compare that to Polestar that have had some issues, but they have proactively contacted new owners to advise them to be observant nd contact the service guys if needed.

Porsche seem to take the Ostrich approach and just bury their head in the sand!
Sponsored