• dead passenger screen - self repair
  • anominallies regarding various sytems that clear themselves
  • failed to charge overnight
  • replaced panoroof glass
  • rattle on certain rough roads on the driver’s side rear door
  • long time for the PCM to wake up
  • Innodrive problems with rapid deceleration for no obviously reason
  • many many failed fast DC charging sessions
    • car has a particular problem releaseing the charging connector at the end of the sessioin
Wow. I've seen multiple users here with multiple issues but I think this wins the race. I would be very disappointed and probably quite pissed if I had that level of issues.

Have to count myself in the lucky department, as I've literally had almost none of those issues. Or any other issues. I can only relate to the "long time for the PCM to wake up" which seems sometimes to be the case.

I also found it can get completely stuck in the waking up part, setting up the seats. Like stuck forever. After some trial and error I found out that pushing my seat memory button on the door instantly fixed this for me immediately, so I now know how to fix it, if it happens again. Has only happened once. Our car has multiple user profiles and seat settings so might not be a relevant issue for everyone.

And yeah, I did hit a crow and had to have the other headlight replaced. But that does not count as an issue with the car itself. Also if someone is wondering, I'm now at 8000 km driven.

Just important for people to get perspective that not everyone has a lot of issues with their Taycan. But I do feel bad for those that do and hope my car continues to have few issues.
Sponsored

manitou202

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo S, Audi E-tron
Country flag
Sorry to hear about your issues. As others have commented, all cars can have problems (new models probably even worse), and a lot of it appears to be luck. I currently have a Taycan, an Audi E-tron (12 months old), and we just traded in our Tesla Model X which we had for two years. Knock on wood, but I haven't had any major issues with any of these cars that required taking the vehicle to the dealership.

Our Tesla had minor paint defects, panel alignment wasn't great, and the Falcon doors creaked a lot, but I didn't complain. Our E-tron had the screens completely freeze one time and I had to look online on how to "reset" the computer. Otherwise no issues. If you read the forums on either of these cars, you see tons of complaints and issues. But most don't seem to have problems. I'm confident it's a similar situation with the Taycan. Obviously if you are the one having the problems, it sucks. I'm not trying to justify the problems you are having, but just trying to put things into a bit of perspective.

The positive is Porsche is one of the best companies in terms of customer service and product support (they aren't perfect, but way better than most brands). So you can be confident that they will treat you well and hopefully resolve the issues ASAP.

I probably just jinxed myself as I'm about to take my Taycan on a 5 day road trip. Better bring a 12V lithium charger.;)

Edit: I'll add one more thing. The worst brands in reliability today (Tesla being one of the worst and Porsche being one of the best) in terms of issues per vehicle are still much better than the best brands from the 1990's. Overall, vehicle quality has become pretty incredible especially considering how complex vehicles have become. Some many more advanced features, computers, mechanical and electrical systems. If you take a step back it's pretty remarkable what the modern automotive industry has achieved.

Sorry, that was the engineer in me coming out.

baldybot1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
taycan turbo
Country flag
I just picked up my car from Porsche for issues and have been told there's nothing they can do as there is no update

1) continuously drops the audio from calls from the PCM back to the phone on bluetooth or apple car play
2) car sensors go off when car in front is pulling away....
3) repeatedly tells me there is a child lock fault
4) hey Porsche just randomly goes off

plus others

I've also been told apple car play wont be wireless in this model ?!?!?!?

The dealers don't have a clue about the car either which maybe isn't their fault

The drive is amazing but using it day to day is a pain with all the software glitches

The Cayenne I borrowed had much better software, wireless carplay ....

Dave T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
yes the passenger screen comes back - at least that‘s been my experience

so far I’ve had
  • dead 12V problem
  • dead main screen - self repair
  • dead passenger screen - self repair
  • anominallies regarding various sytems that clear themselves
  • failed to charge overnight
  • replaced panoroof glass
  • rattle on certain rough roads on the driver’s side rear door
  • long time for the PCM to wake up
  • Innodrive problems with rapid deceleration for no obviously reason
  • many many failed fast DC charging sessions
    • car has a particular problem releaseing the charging connector at the end of the sessioin
yeah it’s been far from perfect.
Why did your roof need to be replaced?

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
damage from transport - was noted at vehicle delivery time - replacement went well.

riburn3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4, Model 3 SR+
Country flag
Let's be real. The internet is where people go to voice frustration with issues on all their products, especially cars. Go to any forum for any car ever made and find the laundry list of problems.

Having owned EVs for years, they are still much more reliable than any ICE I've ever owned.

2 years ago on a whim I bought a 2018 Abarth Spider just to have a fun and cheap roadster. This was against my better judgement in buying a Fiat. 2 years later the car has 8000 miles, required a new clutch at 6000 miles of only freeway driving, and it has been in the shop for the last 3 months for an issue they can't figure out and reportedly they are going to install a brand new engine. This was last hurrah into the world of ICE vehicles.

My 2013 Tesla S P85 has required door handle replacement under warranty in 2015 and I've changed the tires twice. Thats it. It has been my best car ever. My wifes 2018 Model X likewise just got a change of tires and had a falcon door repaired shortly after delivery. All done from mobile repair while she worked.

So far my 4S just needed to go in for some recall work and software updates, but nothing compared to any ICE vehicle I've owned. The in person updates are honestly the most annoying part of ownership for me.

Overall though, the EV experience is superior to an ICE experience, and lots of repair data seems to be backing that up.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
and remember all that stuff in the frunk area is proably all there for and ICE vehicle as well - but the EV lacks the 700 or so moving/wearable parts of the V6/V8 motor, and the 500 or so moving wearable parts of the transmission…

there is sooo much less to go wrong with an EV

Swede-ish

First Name
Hans
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Land Rover Defender 110, BMW 530e
Country flag
I agree with whoever says, all cars have issues. Also, these message boards are [in my opinion] overwhelmingly populated with people that A) Know it all (me? :)), or B) people that are looking for solutions to their issues.

I have had my issues myself, I remember back in 1998 when I finally got my first Mercedes (E320). I was so exited to have a new car from a premium brand - I would never have any problems again! Wrong, a wheel axle broke on the 405 freeway (at <1,000miles). The fuel gauge was stuck, etc etc.
Even my first RR had to be bought back. Not to mention BMW... Audi... Ford is surprisingly not bad (they make a lot of cars though). My first Bentley had to be towed back to the dealer after 30 miles.

So far, I have had my Taycan for 2 months, without a single problem! It is also better than a barrel of monkeys for fun factor, that is worth something!

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2019 BMW i8, 2023 BMW iXM60
Country flag
Agree! I love the Teslas (except the Model X, which I think is trying too hard with its Falcon wings). As the naked frunk photo showed, EVs are complicated and new. Lots to work out. I was actually more surprised by the 12V problems because others have also had issues in this space. I would expect a bunch of other weird unanticipated problems.
IMHO: The multitude of problems we are seeing with the Taycan have NOTHING to do with it being an EV. This is Porsche's failure on so many things software related. I don't know who is writing software at Porsche (Nav System, Vehicle Firmware, Android Apps, IOS Apps, Web Based Connectivity) but they really need to be taken out back and be given a beat down. The manager(s) who are responsible for this crap need to be fired. Many of us have paid close to a quarter of a million dollars for our cars. This kind of failure is inexcusable in ANY vehicle let alone one with this lineage.

There is NO EXCUSE for these types of issues. Most have absolutely NOTHING to do with EV Technology. It is $HIT programming, project management, and lack of respect for their customers!

We ALL need to continually be opening tech support cases for EACH and EVERY problem we encounter. We ALL need to make sure Porsche knows this kind of crap is unacceptable. We ALL need to continue to follow up each and every incident we file with them.

There is some hope, that since most of this appears to be software related, that we can get updates in the future to resolve most of this trash. ...but we ALL need to be holding Porsche responsible for this mess!

Miwa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I wish the e-tron GT had shipped first and soaked up all the "want an nicer EV than the Model S" crowd.

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I wish the e-tron GT had shipped first and soaked up all the "want an nicer EV than the Model S" crowd.
Why?

Would that make it OK for Porsche to ship the Tayacn with so many problems? ...or would you simply be happier with less customers complaining about them? That might support some level of denial but it won't make them go away...

I don't need "Soaking Up". This car SHOULD be the vehicle it was destined to be. ...ALL of it!

Miwa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I don't disagree, but I also don't expect the Taycan to be radically different than other Porsches. Obviously the operational issues (12V, random errors on the dashboard etc) are unacceptable, but anything related to any app or updates or anything else is not something I'm particularly worried about. Every buyer is entitled to be concerned about whatever they'd like though. Calling for every owner to care about anything other than how it looks and drives is a bit over the top.

And android users would be better off with Audi rather than tilting at windmills with Porsche. Apple is Porsche's focus.

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I don't disagree, but I also don't expect the Taycan to be radically different than other Porsches. Obviously the operational issues (12V, random errors on the dashboard etc) are unacceptable, but anything related to any app or updates or anything else is not something I'm particularly worried about. Every buyer is entitled to be concerned about whatever they'd like though. Calling for every owner to care about anything other than how it looks and drives is a bit over the top.

And android users would be better off with Audi rather than tilting at windmills with Porsche. Apple is Porsche's focus.
This is my first Porsche. If you tell me this experience isn't "radically different than other Porsches" then this will certainly be my last one as well.

If the APPS (Porsche Connect and Charging NA) aren't working then you can't initiate the FREE charging you PAID for when you purchased the car. This IS something you should be worried about.

So sorry YOU don't care about Android users, but Porsche claims to support that ecosystem as well as IOS. If they are going to make the software, it should work. If Porsche doesn't want to support Android then they shouldn't pretend to by providing those apps.

...and its not just the Android Apps, the IOS Apps are pretty unreliable as well (I ran BOTH on my last road trip). Its also the PCM/Nav system usability, the firmware in the vehicle, the online web services...

Miwa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
This is my first Porsche. If you tell me this experience isn't "radically different than other Porsches" then this will certainly be my last one as well.
I suspect for many here, that will be the case. They wanted an EV that happened to be a Porsche, not the other way around. I don't expect the "all my cars are EVs" crowd to stick around once there are other options. If I didn't get the Taycan, I would've bought a 992.

Which is why I wish the e-tron GT came out first, as it'd be cheaper than the Taycan, and it would check all the boxes a lot of the all-EV buyers are looking for. MMI has always been better than PCM, and Audi benefits more from the resource sharing with the rest of VAG. Porsche sells far fewer cars.

If you can never see yourself buying an ICE 911, then I don't think Porsche is your brand. Though in the US, Porsche has a lot more customization options, unlike Audi in the US.

That all said, the bugs in basic operation are unacceptable, but I expect most will get worked out. But I don't ever expect full system OTA updates. I don't expect how PCM looks and works to change.
Sponsored