Low ride height of the Taycan / ground clearance?

hooneyrob

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Caterham 420S, 2018 Discovery 3.0.
Country flag
Hi All,

Interested in your thoughts on ground clearance for the Taycan? I drive a Turbo S and have noticed the protruding air vents underneath the car often scrape when driving B roads. If there's too much undulation on the road, they'll scrape. I also feel as if the car is just going to scrape in general - even with the raised suspension setting.

In the UK, our 'B' roads are not smooth so I'm constantly feeling like I'm going to bottom the car out when driving fast.

Does anyone else hear the odd scrape as they are driving around? Perhaps I should just accept it? Sure, if you're going to drive slowly then you'll get away with not scraping the car but that's almost impossible!

Robert.
Sponsored

Pozuelo

First Name
Roberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2018 E63S Estate, 2023 A45S
Country flag
Hi All,

Interested in your thoughts on ground clearance for the Taycan? I drive a Turbo S and have noticed the protruding air vents underneath the car often scrape when driving B roads. If there's too much undulation on the road, they'll scrape. I also feel as if the car is just going to scrape in general - even with the raised suspension setting.

In the UK, our 'B' roads are not smooth so I'm constantly feeling like I'm going to bottom the car out when driving fast.

Does anyone else hear the odd scrape as they are driving around? Perhaps I should just accept it? Sure, if you're going to drive slowly then you'll get away with not scraping the car but that's almost impossible!

Robert.
I had the same feeling, until a couple of months ago, I decided to use the Sport suspension setup. While it is much firmer, and prevents most scrapes, you must still raise the suspension on speed bumps and large angle changes on driveways and similar. I noticed that on the normal height and suspension setting, the compression is very softly set. This is improved with the sport setting while being still comfortrable. Try it out and report back.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
I had the same feeling, until a couple of months ago, I decided to use the Sport suspension setup. While it is much firmer, and prevents most scrapes, you must still raise the suspension on speed bumps and large angle changes on driveways and similar. I noticed that on the normal height and suspension setting, the compression is very softly set. This is improved with the sport setting while being still comfortrable. Try it out and report back.
I have the same observation. The roads around here are quite good so not too much scraping, but speed bumps are a pain.
one easy setting is as you say to put the ca4 into sport mode. I also have found that driving in Normal Mode with stiffer suspension has helped a lot. It seems more of a rebound issue than the height itself.

OP
OP
hooneyrob

hooneyrob

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Caterham 420S, 2018 Discovery 3.0.
Country flag
Good advice about firming up the suspension when driving 'swiftly'. I'll try that but has anyone noticed any scrapes? I think it's always the protruding air vents at the front. I guess they can be replaced but looks like mine may have touched down on occasion.

Pozuelo

First Name
Roberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2018 E63S Estate, 2023 A45S
Country flag
Good advice about firming up the suspension when driving 'swiftly'. I'll try that but has anyone noticed any scrapes? I think it's always the protruding air vents at the front. I guess they can be replaced but looks like mine may have touched down on occasion.
From below, yes. From front no...
Sponsored