Lucid Air EV Has a Projected 517 Miles of Range, and We Saw 458 Miles on a Real-World Ride-Along

PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Hahaha, I like these EV wars. Highlight the Taycan only getting 232 miles (which would require some serious shenanigans to be accurate at a 72 mph highway test) and casually gloss over the numerous complete failures of the Lucid. "Okay so maybe the car randomly shut down twice and required a reboot. Maybe the cruise control and stuff randomly broke. But we got -blank- miles with our gigantic battery pack!"

Just strikes me as funny. It will be interesting to see if Lucid is able to have any success, certainly a bold attempt by them to barge into a currently limited market.

I still believe a better charging network is more important than range until you're hitting 500 or so miles of range.

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 911 4S, Range Rover Sport Hybrid, Range Rover Vouge
Country flag
Blah blah blah, nothing to see here... move along …

porsche_coyote

First Name
Wiley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW ID.4 AWD Pro S, BMW i3
Country flag
I think this is quite impressive and one should acknowledge that. But it's not a car in the same class as the Taycan. It's not a sports car.
I am watching Lucid with great interest. It's their technology that's currently in Formula-E battery packs, so it's not as though they have no other experience. And obviously Peter Rawlinson's background at Tesla is an interesting wrinkle. But they are a new car company, and it's a tough business for a startup. And I'm still sticking with Taycan. :)

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
competition is a good thing - and I'm willing to bet their 40 amp charger won't ship with an overheating supply cable.

Last edited:

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I still believe a better charging network is more important than range until you're hitting 500 or so miles of range.
and Electrify America is NOT that network - for that you currently need the Tesla Supercharging network.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
competition is a good thing - and I'm willing to bet their 40 amp charger won't ship with an overheating supply cable.
I mean, their premiere press car broke down multiple times so I'm not sure Lucid is where you'll want to go for reliability.

I think it's very cool to see these companies bringing competition and a fresh outlook to EVs. I just don't see how they're going to survive. Who buys a Lucid over a Model S or a Taycan? It's the same problem with Rivian.. who is really buying an EV pickup truck? The states/regions that buy the most pickups have little to no charging infrastructure and aren't exactly clamoring for an EV.

It's going to be a real challenge for these companies to find success but I truly hope they end up producing amazing vehicles that surprise me.

LonePalmBJ

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S Gentian Blue Metallic, Black/Chalk,
Country flag
I mean, their premiere press car broke down multiple times so I'm not sure Lucid is where you'll want to go for reliability.

I think it's very cool to see these companies bringing competition and a fresh outlook to EVs. I just don't see how they're going to survive. Who buys a Lucid over a Model S or a Taycan? It's the same problem with Rivian.. who is really buying an EV pickup truck? The states/regions that buy the most pickups have little to no charging infrastructure and aren't exactly clamoring for an EV.

It's going to be a real challenge for these companies to find success but I truly hope they end up producing amazing vehicles that surprise me.
I agree about Lucid - or PoleStar, Bollinger, Byton or Faraday Future - but I think Rivian has a real shot at being a breakout. They have good backing, a very approachable packaging of their product, and a great vehicle full of very clever touches. The more I look at Rivian, the more impressed I am. Also, I could easily see Rivian being an acquisition play for an established automaker looking to make a dent in a highly profitable segment of the US car market.

felixtb

First Name
felix
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche: Taycan R; Tesla: orig Roadster, X, new roadster reserved
Country flag
I agree about Lucid - or PoleStar, Bollinger, Byton or Faraday Future - but I think Rivian has a real shot at being a breakout. They have good backing, a very approachable packaging of their product, and a great vehicle full of very clever touches. The more I look at Rivian, the more impressed I am. Also, I could easily see Rivian being an acquisition play for an established automaker looking to make a dent in a highly profitable segment of the US car market.
I agree with the other brands but Polstar is Volvo and the Polstar 2 is already getting great reviews in the European motor press including by Tesla fans..... So would rather put it up with both Tesla and Porsche. Not really a startup and will most probably be pretty successful considering the reviews the car is getting, and the dealer network it has behind it.

svp6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S
Country flag
Who buys a Lucid over a Model S or a Taycan?
I think it depends on several factors. If Lucid was available when I leased the Taycan, of course I would look at it. It is larger and at least from the images / movies fairly luxuriously appointed. It will likely be a very nice grand tourer.

From a buyer's perspective, having a brand name behind the car is reassuring. For those who lease, the risk is smaller (only that the new company bankrupts while car is still on lease). If the price is appealing comparing to other offers, there will be takers.

Lucid's problem is that they are competing in what will be a crowded field - with more than tesla and Taycan as real competitors: Jaguar XJ replacement, Merc model S, the sedan from the new Ionic (Hyundai) brand.

Tycan

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi RS5
Country flag
I might be that person. I was holding out to see the E-Tron GT to decide on the Porsche or Audi, but 0-60 in 2.5 seconds and 517 miles sure has me rethinking for sure. The Lucid interior is gorgeous.

P.S. anyone that thinks it is simply a bigger battery knows nothing about the Lucid.
Sponsored