Lucid Air reaches 500 miles in real-world 70 mph range test

SolitaryMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Not yet!
Country flag
One big consideration of longer range is that it will reduce the demand on public chargers from people with at-home charging. The advantage of this is that queueing at what are limited spots (particularly given extended teething issues) would be reduced.

In the flip-side is that the world kinda needs excess demand for fast chargers and expanded networks to encourage the rollout of EVs and to make life easier and more convenient for drivers.

nickmdp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
I’m not arguing against the range. It’s nice! I’m just saying for going in one shot, most (not all) wouldn’t need it. If the charging infrastructure was better, it wouldn’t really be needed, but as it is, yes, this range would make plenty of EV trips possible that aren’t or are a bit sketchy to do right now. That’s all I’m saying. It is impressive, and some have need of it for sure, but just looking at most people’s use (at least US anyway, forgive me for not considering beyond in my initial post).
No worries, it's certainly important to realize that everyone's personal experience may be different. I used to drive a diesel Jetta TDI (600+ mile range), and at times, finding a diesel station was a bit of a challenge, though a bit less than it is to find a fast charger these days. If I only got 300 miles of range out of that car, it would have meant needing to plan out routes/stops ahead of time, and at that point, I'd just take a gas car and not worry about it. That's exactly the battle I think EVs have on their hands, and why more 500+ mile range cars will mean so much.

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
I bet Tesla will be more concerned than Porsche.
It tramples all over one of their main (exaggerated) selling points.

Impressive figures though. How much does it weigh with that big battery?

jasperp

First Name
jasper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
tesla,porsche
Country flag
He kind of proves that this high amount of range is useless in the movie: He said "we drove for 8 hours straight except for a 15min break". If he would have driven a Taycan, he could have used those 15min to recharge the car and also get about 500 miles of range in total.
If you drive for 500 miles anywhere in europe or USA you will pass a fast charger somewhere.

The only useful scenario I see for 500 miles of range is if you drive somewhere at about 200 miles, where you can not charge at all and you want to return the same day. And you do not want to stop for 200 miles in both directions. For a one way trip, 500 miles is not necessary at all.

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
I’d definitely consider getting one if it didn’t look like it does. ?
Unfortunately the exterior design is a factor for that range capability.

02bluesuperroo

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Porsche Taycan 4s
Country flag
He kind of proves that this high amount of range is useless in the movie: He said "we drove for 8 hours straight except for a 15min break". If he would have driven a Taycan, he could have used those 15min to recharge the car and also get about 500 miles of range in total.
Um no, you're not charging 200 miles of range in 15 minutes. My Taycan only gets 225 miles of range on a full charge as it is and that will take at least 45 minutes to an hour.

PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Ugly, ugly car but I'm hyped that they got such range out of it! Stuff like this forces other manufacturer's to up their games and it's just good all around for EV owners.

02bluesuperroo

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Porsche Taycan 4s
Country flag

Zcd1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles