Lucid Air reaches 500 miles in real-world 70 mph range test

Jayyvr890

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Very impressive but agree about the looks. Surely with a 500 mile range they could have sacrificed a little efficiency to make it look less like a cartoon car.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
It is impressive - a similar post was made a couple of months ago. Note that the battery is appreciably larger than that in the Taycan with Performance Battery Plus.

Roll on 2024 when Mercedes and others will have their 600 mile range high density batteries in their EVs - Porsche need to get a march on or miss out!

TYKHAAAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Ram 2500, Hyundai Pallisade
Very impressive range! Someone brought up a valid point on it tho, It’s not likely that anyone will need that 500 mile range in one go. If you are on a long road trip, most people will have to stop to eat/restroom/rest before going that far, and you might as well charge at that point. It’s still good to see it can be done. I think 300-400 miles is the sweet point on range.

The car, yes, is not very attractive on the outside. I call it the Sunday grandpa driver. Very boring and out of date/style looking. Inside tho is amazing.

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
Very impressive range! Someone brought up a valid point on it tho, It’s not likely that anyone will need that 500 mile range in one go. If you are on a long road trip, most people will have to stop to eat/restroom/rest before going that far, and you might as well charge at that point. It’s still good to see it can be done. I think 300-400 miles is the sweet point on range.

The car, yes, is not very attractive on the outside. I call it the Sunday grandpa driver. Very boring and out of date/style looking. Inside tho is amazing.
I essentially agree with all of this although, with this sort of range, I guess the point is that you would not be limited to having to stop at a charging location, right? These ranges would thus truly wipe out range anxiety for most. And re looks I really dislike the design and could never be happy with it.

JimBob

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
At first look this is how it happens as compared to the Taycan RWD which has the longest range of all the Taycans.

The Lucid effective battery size is 34.3% larger than the Taycan. (118 kWh vs 83.7 kWh)

The Lucid appears to be about 16% more efficient than the Taycan. (236 watts per mile vs 281.53 watts per mile).

When combined the Lucid gets 500 miles in Range vs 297.3 miles for the Taycan RWD.

nickmdp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
Plenty of people have very real needs for 500 mile range though. For me, it takes ~140 miles one way to get to my in-laws with no fast charger between us. Even in ideal weather, that makes it mildly risky to try and do in a Taycan, and outright impossible without a stop in the winter. With a 500 mile car, I can easily make that trip, even with a 30% loss to winter conditions.

I hate the argument that 500 miles is more than you need, since you're not going to travel that far without stopping though. That's exactly why it's so great, I don't need to make any extra stops, ever, and it means that if a charger is offline, no big deal, I can just go to the next one.

500 miles means I can charge to 80% every day, and still have the range to go out and do a spontaneous trip after work without having to worry about where will I charge.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag

I would like to have that range available. Not for normal day yo day trips I agree. But if you would go for a trip to go skiing in the north of Sweden for instance, there are NO HPC chargers. And the North East of France is no better. I agree with the view that for a trip you would not go more that 3 hours without a a biological break etc. But from a practical perspective I would love that.

BTW I am a grandpa so would qualify! Several times!

TYKHAAAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Ram 2500, Hyundai Pallisade
Plenty of people have very real needs for 500 mile range though. For me, it takes ~140 miles one way to get to my in-laws with no fast charger between us. Even in ideal weather, that makes it mildly risky to try and do in a Taycan, and outright impossible without a stop in the winter. With a 500 mile car, I can easily make that trip, even with a 30% loss to winter conditions.

I hate the argument that 500 miles is more than you need, since you're not going to travel that far without stopping though. That's exactly why it's so great, I don't need to make any extra stops, ever, and it means that if a charger is offline, no big deal, I can just go to the next one.

500 miles means I can charge to 80% every day, and still have the range to go out and do a spontaneous trip after work without having to worry about where will I charge.
I’m not arguing against the range. It’s nice! I’m just saying for going in one shot, most (not all) wouldn’t need it. If the charging infrastructure was better, it wouldn’t really be needed, but as it is, yes, this range would make plenty of EV trips possible that aren’t or are a bit sketchy to do right now. That’s all I’m saying. It is impressive, and some have need of it for sure, but just looking at most people’s use (at least US anyway, forgive me for not considering beyond in my initial post).

Reactions: GRV

NYF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4 CT (not delivered yet)
Country flag
But is it due to any massive technological break-trough? Yes it has a lot of range, but its also got a much bigger battery than any of the competition. It kinda makes sense that it should go longer. And however nice that is, its just not an attractive car to me. It looks so damn… Lincoln… ish! For lack of a better word.

batteredhaddock

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT since 8th April 22
Country flag
Think cars of this kind of range make a lot of sense for North America (and certainly its looks are what I’d have expected from a naughties American car). UK wise less worried about this, my bladder range is approximately 150miles when combined with suitable coffee/tea intake so more than happy to do a few short stops. My longest regular journey is just 390 miles (long for the UK…) which is probably the length of the driveway to the house for many of my US Taycan brethren ?.

JimBob

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
But is it due to any massive technological break-trough? Yes it has a lot of range, but its also got a much bigger battery than any of the competition. It kinda makes sense that it should go longer. And however nice that is, its just not an attractive car to me. It looks so damn… Lincoln… ish! For lack of a better word.
A massive technological breakthrough? No. But a generational advance yes. A smaller battery for the same range and smaller motors with less weight opens up huge possibilities. Just imagine the handling in a Taycan with 500/1000 lbs. less weight.