Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Porsche Taycan 4s
Country flag
Right:

https://insideevs.com/news/551235/porsche-taycan-amazing-fast-charging/

Point isn't that "it's only ever 15 minutes to add 200 miles ", but rather that suggesting that it would take "45 minutes to an hour" of en-route charging time make the aforementioned trip isn't accurate at all.
I didn't say anything about en-route charging time to make any particular trip. All I said was adding a full charge to my Taycan only adds 225 miles of range and would take 45 minutes to an hour.

Like I said, I'm only getting 225 miles out of a full charge. In the example you posted above, they're claiming they added 200 miles of range but are at only 65% SOC. I would only have around 145 miles of range at 65% SOC. I would need to charge to 90% to get 200 miles of range which would take a lot longer. Your link above shows that to get to 90% SOC took 35 minutes, but they were getting ideal charging speeds. I go to 350 kw EA charging stations all the time and the most I've ever gotten is 200 kw/hr of charge rate and that lasted for all of 5 minutes before it dropped down to 160 and then lower after that.

Another thing is most people aren't rolling into the charging station at 0% battery either. Not to mention, most EA stations have only a couple 350kw pedestals and the rest are 150kw and inevitably there is some person who can't even charge at 200kw using the 350kw pedestal and then you have to either wait or use a 150kw.

The likelihood that a Taycan owner is going to pull up to an EA station and in 15 minutes add 200 miles or range is extremely low overall in my experience. That's not even discussing the fact that sometimes it takes 15 minutes to even get a charge started.
Sponsored

TaterTex

First Name
Monte
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
500 mile range would be awesome and it has a lot of features and functions for convenience (unlike Taycan). They’ve got a lot figured out. It’s looks are very pedestrian though…like my great uncle’s 1999 Buick LeSabre.
Porsche Taycan Lucid Air reaches 500 miles in real-world 70 mph range test F7025744-2C23-414B-88F4-2AF3392550B0

nickmdp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
Wow, I hadn't realised that. Here and on the continent all fuel stations have both petrol and Diesel.
Yeah, I wouldn't consider it hard to find one, but depending on where you're at, maybe 30% of stations had diesel, with higher percentages (80+) near highways. Just few enough for it to be a hassle when you're trying to get fuel in a city you haven't been.

That's the battle they have to fight IMO for EVs to get mass market adoption in the US. It needs to do everything better, not just a few things. It's the same reason people buy pickups only to use them once every couple of years to actually carry stuff. That "What if I need to..." mentality is too prevalent to accept EVs simply because they are better in some ways (and arguably overall).

JimBob

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
You are just taking about range under near optimal conditions. Sure you can charge as many times as required to make a trip, but not charging is more convenient.

And don't forget that relative large pickup in range is also going to exist at very high and very low temperatures where the Taycan struggles. And it would be very helpful on bad weather days with high head winds.

Trying to claim that substituting Taycan rapid charge times in lieu of longer range is imho just nonsense.

And with its 900v battery architecture, the Lucid is also going to be a fast charger.

Rcrewse7

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, 2013 G550, 2016 Metris
Country flag
You are just taking about range under near optimal conditions. Sure you can charge as many times as required to make a trip, but not charging is more convenient.

And don't forget that relative large pickup in range is also going to exist at very high and very low temperatures where the Taycan struggles. And it would be very helpful on bad weather days with high head winds.

Trying to claim that substituting Taycan rapid charge times in lieu of longer range is imho just nonsense.

And with its 900v battery architecture, the Lucid is also going to be a fast charger.
Not taking away from the discussion of the benefits of improved range here. The one comment I’ll make is that at high temps, my Taycan 4S did not struggle a whole lot with range during this past, hot AZ summer, including a couple of road trips to Las Vegas and Flagstaff. Of course I’d hear the car randomly cooling itself in the garage from time to time, and I’d run the AC (often in eco mode was just fine), but never experienced a massive drop in range like what I see happens in cold weather here in the forum.
Sponsored